Official definition of "manga" is confirmed

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
The "manga" word has recently entered Merriam-Websters English dictionary with an definition of "a Japanese comic book or graphic novel".

The meaning of "manga" is regularly contested, most notably by manga publishing companies (like TokyoPop) who will often try to label their original comics as "manga" despite the art and story originating outside of Japan; many see manga as a generic style of art as opposed to a purely geographical phenomenon.

I'm glad the word is finally being pinned down.

I don't really believe that manga can be created by artists outside of Japan and the way some companies are trying to cash in on the word by exploiting its current cool marketability leads many down wrong paths.

It's nice to see this one put to bed at last and hopefully will lead to people outside of Japan to write their comics without the added distraction of trying to ape an undefined "style". Sure, practically no work of art is not inspired by some previous style or another but in many cases there seems to have been a lot of effort to capture the style at the expense of the substance.

It's good to have some solid 'evidence' that the word should only be applied to Japanese products, but I don't reckon it'll stop people refering to all the non-Japanese copies as manga as well though.

It's kinda like 'Hoover', I know it's a brand but I'm always calling all vacuum cleaners Hoovers... (Ok, hardly the most convincing example but you know what I mean...)

That may be what is in Merriam-Webster's dictionary but, more importantly, what does the OED say?

Dictionaries tend reflect how words, especially new words, are used in the language rather than dictate how they should be used. If 'manga' gets to be used to refer to non-Japanese products of that style then the definition will probably change to reflect this in time.

The word 'hacker' changed meaning from someone who writes machine code to someone who breaks into computer systems. I bet 'manga' won't last half as long.

The word 'manga' originates from Japan, so applying it only to Japanese comics makes sense. I'm inclined to agree that the term shouldn't be applied to comics from other countries.

Afterall, it's only done to cash in by tapping into the interests of enthusiasts. Why bother calling a comic 'manga' when its quite blatantly an immitation?

good to see this has finally been decided properly..even then people will still call graphic novels created outisde of Japan Manga's..which i don't think will change at all.

Sorted, now at least when people ask me what manga is (on my bike forum) I can tell them to go look it up and it'll actually be there

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Warmaster said:
I still disagree. I mean what is this then?
A webcomic influnced by anime and manga?
Not even that. Just another webcomic to me. I can't see one part of that which has anything remotely to do with manga. I'm not saying it is bad since the artwkork is really very good but the fact remains it is not manga. If you really want to go down the manga as a style route then you will end up saying something such as Peanuts is manga "style" since it is very cartoony and follows a story about a bunch of schoolkids, a lot like Azumanga Daioh.

Hi. just looking through my collection of Anime/Manga related stuff and opened up Helen McCathy's 'Anime, a beginner's guide to Japanese animation' published Oct '93 by titan books;

<quote>
Manga - Japanese for comic. The term was coined in 1815 by the great artist Hokusai and is usually translated as 'irresponsible pictures'. It stuck to the products of the comic industry. Never used in Japan for moving pictures, although in the UK the Manga Video label uses the term 'manga movies' extensively to describe anime released on their own label
<quote>

IMHO - briefly, I think the term Manga can only be used on comics (graphic novels etc..) that originate from Japan. Any thing else can only be labeled 'in the style of'. Without the Japanese social & economic upbringing that shapes the writers and illustrators, all a westerner can hope to do is emulate the style.

Back