Officer Beats Special Needs Student On Camera

Will-O'-The-Wisp

Cardcaptor
A 15-year-old special education student was walking down a hallway at school when he says a police officer grabbed him and threw him to the ground. The teenager says he was beaten and nearly suffocated and much of it was caught on tape. Security cameras captured the beating of Marshawn Pitts, who says the officer started shouting and swearing at him because his shirt wasn't tucked in.

"I was tucking my shirt in," Pitts said.

But it's what happened next that had Marshawn Pitts worried for his life. Pitts says the officer came at him suddenly.

"It was just like boom," Pitts said.

He says he was blindsided by the officer, thrown into lockers and struck repeatedly.

In the video, you can see that he gets slammed to the ground and his face smashed into the floor. His nose was broken. Pitts says he was bleeding.

Video: http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/10/07 ... 8597.shtml

Don't screw with the fasion police! But really, I'm speechless. Saying it was because his shirt wasn't tucked in a blatent excuse

Goes to show how some people abuse their power.Such a shame when this happens as it gives a bad name to the rest of the force they are part of.I hope that the officer in question was dismissed from the force for that and an apology sent to the boy.

The kid being black obviously had nothing to do with it /sarcasm. I'm sure most cops are fine, but with more incidents like this being made public, I just don't know if I can trust them anymore.

Maxon said:
The kid being black obviously had nothing to do with it /sarcasm.

The officer was black, no?

I hate seeing these kind of videos, its something that you dont want to believe happens. You need to feel like you trust the people who are protecting you and when you see something like this its really unnerving.

Although there is no audio to the video, i'm sure the kid was mouthing off, but still didnt deserve that.

Maxon said:
Looks white to me. And why are you nitpicking?

Not nitpicking, you just made it sound like it was a racially motivated attack but the officer looked black to me so was just pointing that out.

skikes said:
Maxon said:

Not nitpicking, you just made it sound like it was a racially motivated attack but the officer looked black to me so was just pointing that out.
The intent doesn't matter in the long run. The fact he attacked the kid is what you should be commenting on. Not my observation skills.

Maxon said:
The intent doesn't matter in the long run. The fact he attacked the kid is what you should be commenting on. Not my observation skills.

My apologies maxon, i thought forums were about discussions between forum members. My mistake, again, apologies.

Maxon said:
skikes said:
Maxon said:

The intent doesn't matter in the long run. The fact he attacked the kid is what you should be commenting on

That's silly, of course the intent matters

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
I wondered about that myself, but video said it was a "special needs school", so he has no excuse

No excuse for what? would it have been better for him to have beaten a 15yo without learning difficulties? That kid looks like he take me on...

skikes said:
Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
I wondered about that myself, but video said it was a "special needs school", so he has no excuse

No excuse for what? would it have been better for him to have beaten a 15yo without learning difficulties? That kid looks like he take me on...

The officer saying he weren't aware the kid had learning difficulties is no excuse, seeing as it was a school exactly for learning difficulties :D

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
The officer saying he weren't aware the kid had learning difficulties is no excuse, seeing as it was a school exactly for learning difficulties :D

i would love to see him try and use that excuse

"ahh yeh well i didnt realise he was slightly retarded... i just thought he was a normal punk ass 15yo"

The way this lad was treated was obviously way over the top and a policeman should know better, but I can't help but question the version of events being presented here. I find it hard to believe that a cop would beat the **** out of a kid for 'not having his shirt tucked in' in full view of several passers by and a security camera. The cynical side of me thinks he must have said something to insult him for him to go off on one like that, most people don't just snap for no reason.

I agree with you ayase, but surely the cop would then have presented that in his defense? Not that anything less than a physical assault by the boy on the cop or a passer by would justify the cop pounding him, but still.

Back