Ocean dub of Kai starting 2011

I kinda wish they'd just stick the DVD dub on TV, it's really well done and I don't think anyone would mind the blood or "bastards" or "shits" if it was shown later on.

There's a thread on Daizenshuu EX about the Ocean dub, there might be more news I think.

The Time Traveller said:
I kinda wish they'd just stick the DVD dub on TV, it's really well done and I don't think anyone would mind the blood or "bastards" or "shits" if it was shown later on.

There's a thread on Daizenshuu EX about the Ocean dub, there might be more news I think.

Wait, they actually swear in the Funimation dub of DBZ Kai?, no more overuses of darn, heck and gosh!?!. Besides I doubt they'd get that dub on the air, maybe the edited dub on the US Nickelodeon channel (or the heavily edited Toonzai dub)

EDIT - I've just read some edit lists of the Nicktoons DBZ Kai dub...holy **** they are more strict than CN was...actually Nicktoons go way overboard on the edits I've noticed

Invisible Crane said:
Wait, they actually swear in the Funimation dub of DBZ Kai?, no more overuses of darn, heck and gosh!?!. Besides I doubt they'd get that dub on the air, maybe the edited dub on the US Nickelodeon channel (or the heavily edited Toonzai dub)

There's quite a few differences.

The script is accurate, the Z dub was extremely inaccurate, they use original Japanese attack names like Kienzan and Makankosappo instead of Destructo Disc and Special Beam Cannon, although in volume 1 Goku uses "Solar Flare" and in volume 2 Kuririn uses Taiyo-ken.

They pronounce Kaio-ken properly too, but not Saiyan, they still mispronounce it as Seiyan.

They also use Tien Shinhan and Tri-beam still instead of Tenshinhan and Kikoho, Tribeam doesn't even make sense...

They say bastard a lot during the fight against Nappa, and Ghurd says "SHIIIIIIIIIT" during the Namek arc after Gohan and Kuririn disappear I think. The DBZ redub had some curses but they were added to make it seem uncut since the dub was so childish and riddled with mistranslations and made up stuff, like piss. Dende saying "Don't piss off the God of Love" was so damn out of place, the God of Love being Polunga.

Each volume has a different singer for the opening too! Opening 1 is Sean Schemmel, opening 2 has Justin Cook and opening 3 has a full TV version of Vic Mignogna.

Vic Mignogna is also known for singing the One Piece WE ARE in the uncut dub and DAN DAN on the Dragon Ball GT season sets. :D

They also use Over 8000 for the DVD and Over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAND for the TV version.

The Time Traveller said:
Invisible Crane said:

There's quite a few differences.

The script is accurate, the Z dub was extremely inaccurate, they use original Japanese attack names like Kienzan and Makankosappo instead of Destructo Disc and Special Beam Cannon, although in volume 1 Goku uses "Solar Flare" and in volume 2 Kuririn uses Taiyo-ken.

They pronounce Kaio-ken properly too, but not Saiyan, they still mispronounce it as Seiyan.

They also use Tien Shinhan and Tri-beam still instead of Tenshinhan and Kikoho, Tribeam doesn't even make sense...

They say bastard a lot during the fight against Nappa, and Ghurd says "SHIIIIIIIIIT" during the Namek arc after Gohan and Kuririn disappear I think. The DBZ redub had some curses but they were added to make it seem uncut since the dub was so childish and riddled with mistranslations and made up stuff, like piss. Dende saying "Don't piss off the God of Love" was so damn out of place, the God of Love being Polunga.

Each volume has a different singer for the opening too! Opening 1 is Sean Schemmel, opening 2 has Justin Cook and opening 3 has a full TV version of Vic Mignogna.

Vic Mignogna is also known for singing the One Piece WE ARE in the uncut dub and DAN DAN on the Dragon Ball GT season sets. :D

They also use Over 8000 for the DVD and Over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAND for the TV version.

So Funimation do what they should have done for DBZ in the first place I see. Also after reading the DaizenshuuEX forum I noticed that Sean Schemmel said that he felt the Ocean dub of Kai would suck because they were changing the music and adding sound effects and the like.

I'll be honest as imperfect as Funimations dub of DBZ was I prefer it due to it being uncut, uncensored and having the original music but I do think the voice acting in the Ocean dub was a bit better (Brian Drummond as Vegeta kicks ass). But the Ocean dub of the later DBZ episodes was just not good considering the rushed nature of it and it was even more censored at points than the edited CN dub of DBZ in the US

What dub of the movies did we get on TV a few years ago? I tried to watch them, but at the time, the voice recording to me sounded like a bad fandub.

The AB Groupe dub, probably from France but there's no information about this dub ANYWHERE other than it got 9 of the movies released on DVD in the Netherlands and both TV specials, though only movies 2, 3 and 4 came out on DVD in the UK.

I sort of wish we got the rest of the movies with this dub, in some ways they're better than the Funimation movie dubs.

Ryu Shoji said:
What dub of the movies did we get on TV a few years ago? I tried to watch them, but at the time, the voice recording to me sounded like a bad fandub.

If I remember correctly, they used to call Piccolo "Big Green" in those movies :lol:

The Bridge Pictures dub. I still remember the rip of their movie 9 that started passing around the web before FUNimation got round to dubbing it. And I still fondly recall the encoder's message during the opening sequence: "This dub is so terrible that, I, the encoder, am too ashamed to put my name on this video."

Oh, mercy, it was diabolical. And then it appeared on Toonami UK some four years later.

Kix confirmed via Twitter that they checked out a screener of Dragon Ball Z Kai and no decisions have been made so far.

I'm not sure how you link to a certain tweet, there's no links for it on Twitter...

Back