Oban Star-Racers to air on UK TV this autumn

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://www.ukanime.com/">UK anime</a> have noticed that (according to the <a href="http://www.londonexpo.com/whatsnew.shtml">LondonExpo</a> website) Sky Digital channel Jetix will air all 26 episodes of Japanese/French animated series "<a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3633">Oban Star-Racers</a>" (a.k.a Molly Star-Racer) starting 21 October 2006.

A co-production between French and Japanese talents, each episode of Oban is estimated to have cost around $300,000 and the theme song composition was handled by legendary anime soundtrack artist Yoko Kanno.

I'm naturally skeptical about US - Japanese co-productions (IGPX is a good example) but I'm actually really looking forward to seeing Oban. It looks great, kind of like an extended version of the Noiseman Sound Insect OVA and well- Yoko Kanno on British TV, I'm so there :)

This may turn out to be one of those titles where I sit there with my eyes closed and just listen to the soundtrack :lol: Oh dear. I'm too big a fan of Yoko Kanno for my own good sometimes...

Japanese/french co-production you say? Well thats me sold. My two favourite nations for animation coming together to make a series, its like a dream to me. And then Yoko kanno aswell. Yes! i think i'll love it even if the story turns out to be terrible.

What language is it going to be shown in?

I can't see Jetix screening it subtitled, in either Japanese or French, and ANN doesn't make any mention of an American or UK license-holder who might dub it...

what happened to Jetix testing out that new channel (something like GXP) out in Italy which had InuYasha on,a nd if it was successful over there, they were gonna launch it here...

What language is it going to be shown in?

I can't see Jetix screening it subtitled, in either Japanese or French, and ANN doesn't make any mention of an American or UK license-holder who might dub it...

I'm sure it will be english and done by some french company

as i said, its code lyoko all over again :s

Imp said:
what happened to Jetix testing out that new channel (something like GXP) out in Italy which had InuYasha on,a nd if it was successful over there, they were gonna launch it here...
Last I heard (a couple of months back) it was a reasonable success but there's been no word since then.

Gawyn said:
Imp said:
Last I heard (a couple of months back) it was a reasonable success but there's been no word since then.

Interestingly, I read a headline last week that Jetix Europe "has restructured its UK channels business" and now this announcement hits. I'm not sure whether or not GXT has been doing well in Italy (though by all accounts, they're still around and showing anime), but I'm looking forward to seeing if this apparent resturcturing will affect Jetix's direction over here.

So Yoko Kanno is just doing the theme song? I'll have to get hold of that. The series does not interest me at all though.

Japan should collaborate with me and make a great series. *folds arms and nods*

Back