NGE: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project Volume 1

chaos

The Boss
Dark horse is releasing a new addition to the Evangelion franchise - <b><i>The Shinji Ikari Raising Project</b></i>
Stunning, hotheaded Asuka Langley Soryu has been friends with Shinji Ikari since they were little. And she always sort of assumed they'd stay together-until the day the beautiful, brilliant Rei Ayanami showed up in class! When Shinji starts to get curious about Rei, Asuka needs to figure out if she wants to be just friends with Shinji, or something more. But why are so many people keeping an eye on these relationships-people like homeroom teacher Misato, school nurse Ritsuko, and Shinji's mother-NERV's chief scientist, Yui Ikari...?

Format: B&W, 184 pages, TPB 5" x 7"
Price: $9.95
Age range: 16+
<a href="http://www.darkhorse.com:80/Books/14-732/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-The-Shinji-Ikari-Raising-Project-Vol-1">LINK</a>

I'm an NGE fan but I think I'll pass on this. I didn't care much for Angelic Days and since this sounds fairly similar I can tell it probably wouldn't be my thing.

Are they incapable of making any spin-off NGE stories which fit into the actual series timeline? Something like that I'd be interested in reading, but this kind of thing... No thanks.

So when's NGE going to give us a real spin-off which doesn't rely on fanservice? I want a GAR Shinji smashing Angel's to pieces on a daily basis then telling his Dad all sorts of things and before he can reply then says "I am the saviour of man kind, aren't I?"

ayase said:
Are they incapable of making any spin-off NGE stories which fit into the actual series timeline? Something like that I'd be interested in reading, but this kind of thing... No thanks.

you know i would like to see more of EVA-04 in the first series timeline (not if events will still hold true in the new movies) I really wanted to know what happened there, was it an accident? was it sabotage? etc

I'll probably give this a look over,although I'll be pretty dubious after my experiece with Angelic Days.

@Blackwolf:It would be cool to get a little look at the events leading up to Eva 04 going boom,like the pilots selected by the US branch(if they weren't planning on using the dummy plug).

Lupus said:
So when's NGE going to give us a real spin-off which doesn't rely on fanservice? I want a GAR Shinji smashing Angel's to pieces on a daily basis then telling his Dad all sorts of things and before he can reply then says "I am the saviour of man kind, aren't I?"

Sadly I think this is about as close as we'll ever get.

^ I tried to read that top to bottom, right to left in two columns...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K0P0aS4CBBY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K0P0aS4CBBY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The plot in this manga sounds the exact same as the one in Angelic Days. I love all things Evangelion, really (all things that don't involve naked Asukas or Reis, anyway) so I would be picking this up, but I've already read Angelic Days (and enjoyed it, I'm ashamed to say!) so I don't care much to read the same story a second time just with better art :s

Evangelion fandom sure does love it's pairings. On EvaGeeks.org, there are really, really stubborn, delusional Asuka x Shinji, Rei x Shinji, Shinji x Kaworu, Shinji x Ritsuko (yes! really!). Personally, I like the Kaworu and Shinji pairing the best but I really don't care all that much :p

So, I take it you like the Ikari Raising Project, RetroRainbow?

I'm going out on a limb here as I haven't actually checked it, but wasn't the Ikari Raising Project originally a sort of visual novel style game? I seem to vaguely recall hearing you could pick who Shinji ended up with.

Professor Irony said:
I'm going out on a limb here as I haven't actually checked it, but wasn't the Ikari Raising Project originally a sort of visual novel style game? I seem to vaguely recall hearing you could pick who Shinji ended up with.

I think it was, i forget what system it was on though, but on saying that so was Angelic Days in its original form. Although after reading them its no surprise really.

Yeah, I prefer Shinji/Rei to Shinji/Asuka, too, so I guess I would prefer the Raising Project manga. I'm pretty sure Japan favours Asuka and Shinji being together though, mainly because otaku like Rei being lonely and in need of protection and all that moe garbage.

I'm sure there's no shortage of Kaworu/Shinji stuff though, right RR? :p

Back