News from NY Comic Con; Gurren Lagann licensed by Bandai

CitizenGeek wrote:
It's a pity that I'll have to wait until ... probably 2010 to get Gurren Lagann with a dub track on R2 :/

Good news with Gundam 00, though! That's a great series, and one I'll definitely be picking up when it's released! ^__^

On the contrary - if coming in 09 you can pretty much be assured that whoever released GL would release the bilingual version in 09 for R2 as well - or so I'd say in my opinion.

all well saying that, but Bandai haven't even mentioned releasing Code Geass yet and it's had the licence for over 8 months now :p

So if it's going to take a Bandai late 08/09 to release Geass i can see GL being 2010

Ryo Chan said:
CitizenGeek wrote:
It's a pity that I'll have to wait until ... probably 2010 to get Gurren Lagann with a dub track on R2 :/

Good news with Gundam 00, though! That's a great series, and one I'll definitely be picking up when it's released! ^__^

On the contrary - if coming in 09 you can pretty much be assured that whoever released GL would release the bilingual version in 09 for R2 as well - or so I'd say in my opinion.

all well saying that, but Bandai haven't even mentioned releasing Code Geass yet and it's had the licence for over 8 months now :p

So if it's going to take a Bandai late 08/09 to release Geass i can see GL being 2010

Eh yes they have. Geass is starting in the Summer, GL sub-only over 3 months, 9 episodes a month.

Geass is also having a seriously epic release. Unconventional and spectacular. I hope Beez are planning on getting a hold of Geass, as soon as possible.

Daniel, Paul; Since the latest news post in generally quite big and only going to get bigger. Wouldn't it work out to be easier if the news post had a overview/summary of it then a link onto another (non-front page) page for a more indepth coverage of the entire event.

On Another side of things, I can't wait for Ultimo. It sounded quite bad at first and story-side of things, It still does but It will make a great read. Lee's other BONES' project will probably be better (Awful title though, Hero Man) but information about that won't be coming to light for quite a few months.

Just spotted the Code Geass news now! Yay! Special edition Geass releases sounds awesome! ^________^

beez_andrew said:

That's good to hear; but still, late '09 is a long way off :/

It felt a bit strange to watch the subs-only release of Gunbuster 2. Inexplicably, because I rarely watch a dub for anything more than curiosity, but I noticed the lack of it nonetheless.

Still, assuming Beez follow suit with a subs-only release it'll calm the sting of those BBFC charges. We'll get it sooner, too. :D

Also, I'm quietly excited about those VIZ Big releases of Dragonball Z. I was surprised to find they weren't the first ones out the door!

melonpan said:
Ryo Chan said:
CitizenGeek wrote:

Eh yes they have. Geass is starting in the Summer, GL sub-only over 3 months, 9 episodes a month.

sorry missed that part, however

Code Geass will follow a special release pattern with the special editions including CD soundtracks, manga and audio drama's that were included with the Japanese release

just confirms my worries that Bandai are going to repeat what they did with Eureka 7 and have increadbly slow releases just to please the American Adult Swim fans

Jayme said:
Geass is also having a seriously epic release. Unconventional and spectacular. I hope Beez are planning on getting a hold of Geass, as soon as possible.

Daniel, Paul; Since the latest news post in generally quite big and only going to get bigger. Wouldn't it work out to be easier if the news post had a overview/summary of it then a link onto another (non-front page) page for a more indepth coverage of the entire event.

On Another side of things, I can't wait for Ultimo. It sounded quite bad at first and story-side of things, It still does but It will make a great read. Lee's other BONES' project will probably be better (Awful title though, Hero Man) but information about that won't be coming to light for quite a few months.

That's the thing I'm pondering on. Is there really much point in me going into so much depth, when conventions are covered (with increasing depth, i.e video now) by the likes of ANN.

The flip side is that the a lot of people who read this probably don't read ANN or can be bothered to go through all the pages and pages of in depth panel reports, so I'm trying to do an in-between.

It's mostly all relevant to the UK as well, since virtually all American companies have a UK counterpart in some sense or another, so that's another point on the flip-side.

I'm going to finish it off with the rest of the news which will increase the length again quite considerably, so Paul can decide what to do with it then.

EDIT: Also, this is actually quite a special case, because basically it seems to me as if a LOT of news has been building up for at least half a year now, since basically the end of the last convention season in America, with little to no new information on anything from then until now. And with this convention it seems as if news if pouring in left right and centre, with everything - I for one - I could ever dream of. This really is quite amazing.

Still, assuming Beez follow suit with a subs-only release it'll calm the sting of those BBFC charges. We'll get it sooner, too.

They're going to be releasing a dub version sometime next year, so it won't go undubbed, it'll just be seperate.

If Beez (assuming they do eventually get the license) plan to release it exactly the same way as the R1 release, it'll be more expensive because they'll have to submit the dub later on. They can avoid a second load of submission charges if they make a single R2 release bilingual.

What I want to know is - Why is it that everytime I think to myself.. oh that looks quite intersting, they decide to release it as Sub only?

Wake me up when they can be arsed releasing the dub version.

Tasker said:
What I want to know is - Why is it that everytime I think to myself.. oh that looks quite intersting, they decide to release it as Sub only?
They need to do that because by this point, to scrap the dub that has been produced (if probably cuz ADV ain't selling or don't have enough to sell) and to do thier own would take a fairly long time on top of the ADV Blueball period hence the two pronged approach.

Also, I have a feeling they're doing this to spite ADV to a degree as well. No better way to undermine the competition than say "Not only do we take stuff from our competitors, we release it 3 times as fast because we wear red!"

Yes, I'm aware three times infinity is three times infinity and some of BE's releases aren't the epitome of fast but work with me here.

yamiiguy said:
Does the Bandai licensing also include the UK/Europe or can ADV still release it with the ADV dub here?
ADV have lost the rights to it worldwide but the Bandai licence is for the US only. This means that the UK licence is up for grabs but the liklihood of it using the ADV dub would be highly unlikely regardless of who gets it.

Gawyn said:
yamiiguy said:
Does the Bandai licensing also include the UK/Europe or can ADV still release it with the ADV dub here?
ADV have lost the rights to it worldwide but the Bandai licence is for the US only. This means that the UK licence is up for grabs but the liklihood of it using the ADV dub would be highly unlikely regardless of who gets it.

Ah, thanks! Just seems like a bit of a bummer that we have to either wait a year or purchase sub-only releases and pay double for a good DVD package, no matter how better the company is.

Ryo Chan said:
Reading the AoD forums, the Code Geass situation seems to be getting worse

They took out the Pizza Hut adverts :(

Not that I've seen the anime except episode 1... I really fail to see why not including some stupid advert throughout the anime is a bad point...

Was it taken out for the Japanese DVD release, i.e it was solely put in the TV broadcast?

melonpan said:
Ryo Chan said:

Not that I've seen the anime except episode 1... I really fail to see why not including some stupid advert throughout the anime is a bad point...

Was it taken out for the Japanese DVD release, i.e it was solely put in the TV broadcast?

half the puns for C.C involve Pizza Hut, not to mention it's a great drinking game, Spot the pizza hut ad.

As far as i'm aware they're in the DVD's for Japan, so it may just be removed for the Adult Swim version

Ryo Chan said:
melonpan said:
Ryo Chan said:

half the puns for C.C involve Pizza Hut, not to mention it's a great drinking game, Spot the pizza hut ad.

As far as i'm aware they're in the DVD's for Japan, so it may just be removed for the Adult Swim version

If Pizza Hut is part of the anime, then that makes sense. I would assume that Pizza Hut's deal/contract only covers Japan.

Ryo Chan said:
Meh they'll probably be change to Pizza Shack or Calzone hut. If they can do the kind of censoring/ butchery a la 4kids version of One piece, the odd panel shouldn't be a problem.

Back