New Yoko Kanno interview discussing Darker Than Black

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://gabrielarobin.com/207/nifty-darker-than-black-interview-translation">A Gabriela Robin Site have posted</a> a fully translated interview with OST composer Yoko Kanno (famous for her musical work on the likes of Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne and Wolf's Rain) concerning her contribution to 2007's dramatic science fiction series Darker Than Black. Animated by Studio "Fullmetal Alchemist" Bones, the show has been licensed for R1 release by FUNimation (and many of their releases are distributed in the UK by Revelation Films).

Darker Than Black was a real let down for me and sadly so was the soundtrack for the most part. It just wasn't something I could really get into unlike most of her other work.

I always find it interesting to learn what inspires the writers of musical scores - this interview certainly confirms the hard-boiled 'film noir' vibe of the show and its music that I noticed at various points. I'm not sure what the OST is like for the series overall though, since I've yet to see it through to the end.

Man, I hope Revelation are able to release this on R2...

I'm with Sy, to be honest. Much as I wanted to like DtB, it didn't live up to my (admittedly high) expectations, in the sense that it's merely passable entertainment (better than most), but not really an all time classic in the vein of Wolf's Rain. Same can be said for Kanno's soundtrack, seems a bit out of form after Stand Alone Complex. That said, I found the interview quite fascinating, she seems to have a quite tangible way of creating music by very clearly expressing character personalities and feelings.

I'm not sure I have to even say I liked Darker than Black (given my avatar choice). I didn't think it was outstanding, but I loved the ideas used and there's plenty of potential in a continuation. As for the soundtrack, I thought it complimented the setting and tone perfectly. It's quite low key at times but I found that far more suitable.

I think that Darker than Black has been victim to the usual Bones hype. Perhaps too much was expected of it?

Back