New to Anime. What to buy?

In short redneon, just buy everything :) I recommend Princess Mononoke - arguably Miyazaki's most accessible movie, beautifully drawn, exciting action and underpinned with a magical sense of fantasy.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Legend of the Overfiend; the Citizen Kane of anime. Actually, I'm joking there, don't watch Legend of the Overfiend.

McIcy said:
Tenchi Muyo is a great one if you wanna try Harem comedies I laughed my ass off the first time I watched it

'Tis true. :D It may be a few years old now, but I don't think I know of a single person who has watched Tenchi Muyo : Ryo-ohki and not instantly loved it.

Tasker said:
I don't think I know of a single person who has watched Tenchi Muyo : Ryo-ohki and not instantly loved it.
Oh ya do, I think we went through that once before. :wink:

Tasker said:
Tis true. :D It may be a few years old now, but I don't think I know of a single person who has watched Tenchi Muyo : Ryo-ohki and not instantly loved it.

A few! Even though it may not look like it Tenchi is 15 years old, hell even universe is 11 years old this year.

Dave, get back in your box :lol:

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the staples I was told to watch by other anime fans before they would even recognise me.

Chobits, Love Hina and Azumanga --> Even if you don't like them, they're series that everybody should have an opinion on.

Since i've just finished watching it i would really recommend you check out the fansubs/pre order The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. Bloody great series and it's pretty new.

adamcube said:
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the staples I was told to watch by other anime fans before they would even recognise me.

Chobits, Love Hina and Azumanga --> Even if you don't like them, they're series that everybody should have an opinion on.

Hmmm, I havn't seen any of those yet. :? ( They're on my list of ones to get around to though. )

adamcube said:

Er...not really.

Exactly what's the logic behind the apparent necessity of everybody having an opinion on them?

If someone told me to watch some series just so I was "recognised", I'd tell them to **** off and not watch them on principle (especially if they were as random as those three).

I think there's too many people who need to realise nothing is "essential" in anime/music/movies/whatever.

Apparently, I'm not a "proper" anime fan because I've never seen (or have any interest in seeing) Ghost In The Shell/Evangelion/Ninja Scroll/most of the other supposed necessary stuff.

But I don't care...I'm not gonna spend money on a load of stuff that doesn't interest me just so I can get cred with a bunch of snobs who think my views are worthless otherwise.

Anyone who says anything in entertainment is either necessary or essential is full of it.

Agreed with Aaron, I don't see why I should have to watch certain anime, which can take a lot of my time, just to say that I have. I've never seen Azumanga Daioh or Love Hina (though I recently got the Azumanga Daioh manga), because I had previously read synopsis' on them both and decided that they didn't interest me.

I can understand why people say certain anime series' are essential, but I've bought games before that people considered essential and hated them, sometimes you just have to use common sense, if you're not into sci-fi anime then don't watch it, if you are, then do. It's as simple as that.

What I do recommend is watching a variety of different genres, recently I discovered anime that I've seen described as 'Spice of Life', such as Welcome to the NHK!, Genshiken, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, etc. and this has quickly become my favourite genre of anime.

Aaron said:
adamcube said:

Er...not really.

Exactly what's the logic behind the apparent necessity of everybody having an opinion on them?

If someone told me to watch some series just so I was "recognised", I'd tell them to **** off and not watch them on principle (especially if they were as random as those three).

I think there's too many people who need to realise nothing is "essential" in anime/music/movies/whatever.

Apparently, I'm not a "proper" anime fan because I've never seen (or have any interest in seeing) Ghost In The Shell/Evangelion/Ninja Scroll/most of the other supposed necessary stuff.

But I don't care...I'm not gonna spend money on a load of stuff that doesn't interest me just so I can get cred with a bunch of snobs who think my views are worthless otherwise.

Anyone who says anything in entertainment is either necessary or essential is full of it.

C...c..c..c c...c...COMBO BREAKER!
..thats all i can say....
i just randomly selected this thread for the first time today and and went to last page and saw the best post i have seen all week
great comment

I think when some people say "essential" they forget the meaning of the word. I would prefer to phrase it in a way such as,

I recommed you try out Tenchi Muyo or Love Hina, these are what many consider to be the best (or essential) of the Harem genre and if you didn't like these then Harem anime probably won't be for you.

Replace Tenchi/LH and Harem with any anime and genre.

If people worded it this way i think many fans would be more likely to check out series. However i do agree on one point of Aarons, if you don't like what i like then don't bitch and moan at me. I don't really care what you will think if you take that attitude.

Chobits, Love Hina and Azumanga? That's quite the most random list of essentials I've ever seen. Ugh, Harem. (Azumanga is great in its proper, Manga form mind you).

Woah - I got a lot back from my last post! ^^;

It was but only three titles, and of course I'm not saying you -have- to watch these titles. Most certainly these three aren't the only "essentials", they just came straight off of the top of my head. I think you all got the wrong end of the stick.

Most certainly, I'm not demanding that everybody watch them. Simply, they are three titles that always seem to be on the shelves in the anime section of whatever DVD store and typically most anime fans have seen at least some, if not all of them.

If you guys don't like these titles, I don't mind nor care. I was simply surprised that they weren't mentioned after -my- experience of being pointed towards them when I first started to like anime. I guess I may be guilty of saying that they -are- essential as opposed to suggesting that they may be essential - but really that's an issue so petit it's not worth touching.

In answer to Aaron, I'd tend to agree. However, there is no escaping the fact that if you want to start being a fan of cars yet have never driven a Mini/Fiat/(Other generic well-known car) you'll have less to talk about with other "car-lovers". Variety is the spice of life, and this thread is after all about recomendations so I'll mention a few I think are worth watching if you want to be broken in to anime. Nothing more, nothing less.

Strange thing is ot of the list of 'essentials' mentioned I'd say watch GitS and Azumanga, not cause they are vital to any anime street cred, just cause they are good. Eva I would suggest watching at some stage more so you 'get' the thousand and one references in so much of anime since. As was stated in another thread it is one of those ' ground breaking classic anime', thought while that's true nowhere does it say it's good. Same goes for a lot of other 'classic' anime. Also since many of the classics (Ninja Scroll, Akira and GitS specifically) were all that was available for a long time they became must watch as they were all that you could watch.
As for things for redneon to watch... Rahxephon (my answer to everything l know), Armatige 3 (good sci-fi cop stuff) Patlabor movies, Elfen Lied ( shows humanity as barely fallen from the angels AND at the same time little more than apes)

hi this is my first post.

i'm looking for a some new anime to watch. just finished watching FLCL for about the 20th time.

everyone has suggested loads of really good stuff. but i'm surprised no ones mentioned Abenobashi magical shopping arcade. personally i think its one of the most under rated animes ever.
maybe its the name or something, anyway it's funny, very clever and has great art work. Its chock full of pop culture references in a way that makes me think its should be shown more as a educational tool for anime fans, its loads more than just a comic fantasy like card captor sakura. its that good they even take the piss on the FBI warnings.

highly enjoyable and well worth more than one watch.

Back