New series

Kurogane

Chuunibyou
I'm just looking for any series which contains elements of Science-fiction, mecha (but no series based entirely of), and futurism. Series like NGE, Bebop, Outlaw Star, GITS-SAC etc

Oh, and I don't care how old the series is, as long as it fits the description :D

No Gundam suggestions please, as I find it hella boring >_>

Thanks 8)

Gun X Sword - A lot like Trigun but not as good, main guy has a mech but it only tuns up for fights
Eureka 7 - Sky boarding (skateboarding in the sky), anti government team, a few mechs
Vandread - Future space ship trying to get home, only one mech

McIcy said:
Gun X Sword - A lot like Trigun but not as good, main guy has a mech but it only tuns up for fights
Eureka 7 - Sky boarding (skateboarding in the sky), anti government team, a few mechs
Vandread - Future space ship trying to get home, only one mech

Eureka 7 sounds good. :p

Rahxephon- check my various other fanboy gushings about it
Code Geass- ditto
Fafner- Borrows heavily from well everything mecha, Gundam, Rahxephon, Eva. Not very good in my opinion but some people liked it.
Macross- Old but still good. By retro though (flares and collars you could hang-glide with)
Macross Plus- Not as old, but good character based plot and what one character called 'professional wrestling with multi million dollar robots'

hopeful_monster said:
Rahxephon- check my various other fanboy gushings about it
Code Geass- ditto
Fafner- Borrows heavily from well everything mecha, Gundam, Rahxephon, Eva. Not very good in my opinion but some people liked it.
Macross- Old but still good. By retro though (flares and collars you could hang-glide with)
Macross Plus- Not as old, but good character based plot and what one character called 'professional wrestling with multi million dollar robots'

Thanks for that dude, Macross sounds worth checking out :lol:

Anything Macross (especially Plus and Do You Remember Love) and Patlabor come highly recommended - both have giant robots, but they're not the main focus. Otherwise try Big O, Trigun, the Appleseeds, the Bubblegums, the Full Metal Panics, Tank Police, Metropolis, Wings of Honeamise... there's a few to get ya started :)

Edit: Can't believe I forgot about Planetes. Very underrated, much worth checking out. Not particuarly action heavy, but if you want the most realistic vision of space travel, this is it.

There have been some very good suggestions so far, but I can't believe no one's mentioned Martian Successor Nadesico yet. :D

( OK so it dosn't have a proper ending because they never made a second series, but still, I defiy anyone to say that it's not a fantastic series, well worth a watch. )

Tasker said:
There have been some very good suggestions so far, but I can't believe no one's mentioned Martian Successor Nadesico yet. :D

( OK so it dosn't have a proper ending because they never made a second series, but still, I defiy anyone to say that it's not a fantastic series, well worth a watch. )
I found it to be rubbish personally. It tried too hard to be funny at times and failed because of it. For myself I watched it and fairly quickly forgot it. The only character I remember out of it was Ruri (at least I think that's what her name was) because she was just the best and most cynical character in the whole series.

Lupus Inu said:
Eureka Seven is good, but if you've seen EVA you've seen it before, it's like a colourful remake.

i fail to see how you can compare Eureka 7 to Eva

for 1 thing the Heroine is far more cuter (specially near the end ^^)

Eureka = Rei Ayanami
Renton = Shinji Ikari
Talho = Asuka
Holland = Gendou Ikari

Both EVA and LFO have mysterious pasts. Eureka is all emo because she can't "connect" with the Nirvash after Renton piloted it, like when Rei can't sync with Unit 01, and who pilots it!? Shinji Ikari! and when Renton goes "crazy" on the KFLs because all this time he'd realized he's killing humans, and the scene is exactly like episode 19 of NGE, Introjection when Shinji goes crazy too. D: There's a few right there, I'll come up with more shortly if you'd like.

Though, even if it IS NGE-like, it still doesn't mean it's not worth checking out, it's very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ending isn't really important, it's the similarities of other things that show how it's NGE-like, it's not a rip off, but it does have very similar traits to NGE.

Lupus Inu said:
The ending isn't really important, it's the similarities of other things that show how it's NGE-like, it's not a rip off, but it does have very similar traits to NGE.

true but even eva rips things off other series, in the end that's just anime, and tv in general, theres no such thing as a truely "original" series out there

Back