New season of Naruto starting on Jetix this week

I think you'd be surprised by the amount of older (older than say 11 years old) anime fans on this very forum who watch Jetix :) I was watching DBZ on Toonami during my university years (around yr 2001-02).

And don't forget, kids are the future. Today Naruto is sewing the seeds that may one day allow us to air stuff like Stand Alone Complex on a recognised channel at a decent time.

To be honest, this is actually a very complicated issue in which there is no one answer.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Are people still thinking that Naruto is going to be the show that wins over the UK?
After Jetix's fantastic upsticking of it, no.

That honer is now Oban Star Racers' (I meen, they can air the JP opening here but not the US? Sweet! The "Epilipsy" slowdown always worrys me though. It did Digimon no favours on CITV)

Just a update Oban,the repeat showing is sunday morning from 8.30 to 11.00.

Imo,I think Rapture is having the same problem that Sci-fi had.They both started with showing strong series (Sci-fi had both Eva and Nadesco on at the same time),but failed to secure equally top-class follow up series and interest dwindled. Hopefully Rapture can get the rights to something that will be well known/popular (e.g something like Bleach or My-Hime).

I am so jealous of the States when they've got stuff like Stand Alone Complex shown on TV during CN's Adult Swim slot.

Jetix are ripping the piss out of us...

They can deal with Oban and it's violent theams perfectly well (not to mention use it's JP opening...though I highly susspect that was to get more advert time than anything else) and yet they are STILL Making a mess of Naruto.

Jetix UK does not deserve Oban. It deserves IGXP.

Conan-san said:

They can deal with Oban and it's violent theams perfectly well (not to mention use it's JP opening...though I highly susspect that was to get more advert time than anything else) and yet they are STILL Making a mess of Naruto.

So I assume you've seen today's Jetix episode then? How badly was it cut?

I couldn't notice any cuts to be honest, though I wasn't paying much attention, maybe they've like... stopped editing and left it how it is.

Paul said:
Conan-san said:

So I assume you've seen today's Jetix episode then? How badly was it cut?

Two main cuts, they stoped scrolling up when showing Hiniata's White All Seeing Eye so they don't show the viens and such.

there's also a big chunk of the Saksuke !Naruto fight missing aswell.

...they aren't going to allow veiny heads? Ha, they shouldn't have even considered grabbing the show if they aren't even going to allow that.

Just seeing this clip made me cringe badly. That is some of the worst editing I have ever seen. I've seen some poor quality AMV's synced up better than that. Really if they are going to do such an ugly editing job like that then really they need to stop showing it. It does actually get really hard to follow and it's no suprise since over half of the visuals are missing.

Paul, after seeing a clip like that can you really say that Naruto will make an impact. I have honestly never seen edits that bad in my life.It's just... wow.

It makes the show look like a complete low budget cheap piece of crap.

Edit: Haha, the Germans have it bad too. Apparently Naruto bleeds blue blood and most weapons have been digitally removed. Just take a look at their OP. XD

why are you moaning at Jetix, it's whoever owns rights to the dub who've cut it not Jetix

the only reason Oban got through the dub cause Jetix had a major say in what happened with the show, generally it's Jetix property (like Galactic Football)

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Paul, after seeing a clip like that can you really say that Naruto will make an impact. I have honestly never seen edits that bad in my life.It's just... wow.

I know it's bad. Just my argument is that unaltered and maybe even in this state, Naruto has more potential for success than anything else right now. That said, can Jetix's version even be considered Naruto? I know I don't consider 4Kids hack n' slash of One Piece as a relistic adaptation of the show. One Piece is bigger in Japan than Naruto, so in editing it to laughable standards, 4Kids have scored an 'own goal'. Given that I don't watch Naruto on Jetix, I just hope the same thing isn't happening to Naruto - I'm just glad the original music is still intact!

Ryo Chan said:
why are you moaning at Jetix, it's whoever owns rights to the dub who've cut it not Jetix

No, that's wrong. The dub is airing in the US with minimal cuts and the amatuerish nature of the UK censorship suggests that it is Jetix (or an out-sourced company financed by Jetix) who are cutting it to shreds. Oban got through unscathed because it doesn't star little kids trying to stab each other with knives.

at the end of the day, it's not like your forced to watch it though

you've got Dvd's or if u want illegal fansubs

Naruto has and will continue to be cut by Jetix, the only think moaning about each cut no matter how big or small will do, is help get your post count on the forum up :p

and why so surprised about jetix cutting stuff? it's disney for gods sake :)

Ryo Chan said:
and why so surprised about jetix cutting stuff? it's disney for gods sake :)
I'm more surprised about the extremely low quality editing. Even if I didn't know the show and was shown that clip I would think that was an awful piece of editing. The audio doesn't even sync up properly.

I'm just amazed they thought it was a good business idea to show such a horrible rushed edit on tv. No care was taken whatsoever and I know people said "well if they haven't seen the original they won't care and might just enjoy it". Well at first I kinda thought yeah fair enough but after seeing that even I was finding it hard to follow... and i've seen it before!

unbelievably dire editing work that's not even worthy of someones first AMV.

Next Jetix will probably air an edited version of Bible Black. If they could pull that one off(no matter how badly edited) i'll smear my face in honey and bury myself in the beach.

I thought Jetix used to be Fox Kids? :?

About the edits in Naruto though... How do we know it's definatly Jetix? It could be the BBFC. Don't forget, no matter how you look at it Jetix is not a channel aimed at adults, and even if it was, how often do you see people being stabbed and beaten to a bloody pulp in close-up exacting detail at 6:30pm on any of the other channels? That kind of thing is usually left untill after the watershed, or at the very least, just before it.

Thinking on it, i'm surprised that Naruto is beeing shown at all. Don't forget, the BBFC have always had a bug up it's backside with anything dealing with Ninjas and Ninja weapons. Take shuriken; what are they? It's as if the BBFC want to deny all knowlage that they even exist - look at any computer game ( for example - Tenchu ) that in any other country has shuriken, and over here they 'have' to be replaced with throwing knives. :? ( The fact that they freely get away with using them in Naruto - even if they are bloody huge - still astounds me. lol )

Just my tuppence worth, not taking any side, but just trying to look at it from another possible(?) perspective. :wink:

Does the BBFC have anything to do with rating shows for TV? I thought it was just for releases like cinema and home media.

In any case regardless of who edited it or what show it is, that is a technical nightmare.

To be honest I don't know if the BBFC have any say or not, as I said at the end, I was just listing a possible alternative.

At the end of the day though, as I also said, 6:30 is really a bit early for graphic violence on 'any' channel, let alone a kids one, ( wether it's animated violence or not ), and that is probably the true reason for the cuts. As for the quality of the cuts, well that's a different matter, but if whoever made them only had naff, basic equipment or limited time then that could account for it.

Again... Not saying I agree with the cuts or not, ( even if it does seem odd to show a series about violence and then cut most of the violence out of it. :? ), but I can understand the reasoning behind making them.

Back