New Play.com anime DVD sale

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Play.com have opened a new anime DVD sale which includes many recent releases (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counter Attack, Street Fighter Alpha 2: Generations) along with several older classics (Spirited Away, Metropolis).

Can somebody please inform play.com that it isn't actually January yet?! :lol:

Quite a nice selection though I must say, even though I either own or have seen most of these. The Fruits Basket offer looks rather tempting, and also Ghost in the Shell.

Melainy said:
Can somebody please inform play.com that it isn't actually January yet?! :lol:

It's not just play, amazon and sendit have started their "January sales" early too. :)

For once there doesn't seem to be much that grabs my eye in the sale; I'm slightly tempted by Gungrave but then again the shiny new R1 slimpack is due out next week...

Memories is an absolute steal at just £5.99 - it is an anthology from several great anime directors and the beautiful first short (Magnetic Rose, written by Satoshi Kon) is worth £6 on its own.

Paul said:
Memories is an absolute steal at just £5.99 - it is an anthology from several great anime directors and the beautiful first short (Magnetic Rose, written by Satoshi Kon) is worth £6 on its own.

Well to be fair he only wrote the screenplay and even that is a very direct adaptaion of the Magnetic Rose manga from Memories part 1 so it more a work of Katsuhiro Otomo, who wrote and drew the original story, than Satoshi Kon.

But other than that Memories it well worth getting.

Hybridchild said:
Paul said:

Well to be fair he only wrote the screenplay and even that is a very direct adaptaion of the Magnetic Rose manga from Memories part 1 so it more a work of Katsuhiro Otomo, who wrote and drew the original story, than Satoshi Kon.

But other than that Memories it well worth getting.

I'm so sure about discounting Kon's involvement. The "every man" characterization (which so grounded the surreal atmosphere) seemed directly reminiscent of his other works (especially Millennium Actress).

But the characterization is very much like manga, the thing is the manga in alot of ways is like Kon's work to begin with thats why it seems so much like his other work, he has also said himself in the past that he was greatly influenced by Otomo.

Fantastic - just in time for a Christmas cheque from my generous grandparents! Memories is top of my list - I've been promising myslf a copy of my own for months now.

Regardless of Kon's involvement, Memories is worth it at that price (only 5.99). It's not my favorite anime DVD by any means, but the fact that each story is entirely unrelated makes it a good pick-up for anytime you want a short blast of anime without having to sit down for the duration of the film, or hooking yourself on to a series. That said, I don't really like "cannon fodder" and it's a difficult thing to like. The animation is anything but appealing and there is little or no dialogue. Magnetic Rose is great though, and Stink Bomb is all good fun (I imagine it as a sort of anti-Akira. The surviving chemist blundering out of the noxious clouds is like a comic reversal of Tetsuo demonically walking from the flames of the helicopter crash towards the tank.)

If you want some certified Kon stuff, it's pretty much all going cheap at the moment. Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress are 8.49 each, the first two volumes of Paranoia Agent are 9.49 each and the Hugely pricey Tokyo Godfathers Set has been discounted to a still quite pricy 24.99.

Grave of the Fireflies (8.99) is going cheap I notice, and that's certainly worth a look, perhaps along with Barefoot Gen (8.99) if you feel like having a healthy dose of the suffering of Japanese young-uns this year. Fruits Basket (8.49 x 4) still on offer I notice.

Personally, I think i'll order Volume 3 of Lain (7.99), Volume 2 of Paranoia Agent (9.49) and the Cowboy Bebop Movie (5.99)

That is quite a good sale they have there...i might just have to get a couple of things form there...Fruit Basket is one of the main things i think i will go for. Ghost in the Shell also...maybe some of the other things also

play.com dropped their prices at about the same time that HMV last had a slightly cheaper sale. Is there any anime in the current HMV sale, I'm specifically after the GITS:SAC so I can justify not buying the boxset (although I might just break even if I manage to get the last 4 for less than £7 each)

These kind of sales are perfect for filling all the gaps in your anime collection, not to mention appeasing the keeper of the wallet. ;)

I'll be picking up Memories, Millennium Actress and Char's Counterattack to complete my Satoshi Kon and UC Gundam discographies respectively. As well as Casshan, and little known 'classics' Dangaioh and Metal Skin Panic, a complete steal at £5.49.

Back