New Outlaw Star release?

NitroEx

Completely Average High School Student
I was a little shocked to see a new DVD release of Outlaw Star on Amazon the other day and since I couldn't find any information about it online I figured this was the next best place. I currently own the series that was released by Beez as part of the anime legends line and was curious to know if this new release has better picture or more features?

Much as I'd like to own Outlaw Star, I still think that box art is eye-wateringly hideous. The set is cheap though, so I might buy it and draw my own sleeve or something.

Professor Irony said:
Much as I'd like to own Outlaw Star, I still think that box art is eye-wateringly hideous. The set is cheap though, so I might buy it and draw my own sleeve or something.

This isn't meant as a criticism rather just my curiosity, you might not buy it just on the strength of what you think of the cover not how good or bad the actual show is?

So I gathered. When AL first showed the cover, I was convinced they'd used fan-art for some reason, but I found it all the more mind-boggling that such a thing would be the official choice at the Japanese end.

Professor Irony said:
So I gathered. When AL first showed the cover, I was convinced they'd used fan-art for some reason, but I found it all the more mind-boggling that such a thing would be the official choice at the Japanese end.
Your mind is boggled by a Japanese Choice that's potentially off putting and focused on one niche?

edit: nevermind UK Offices;
OnN1DaA.jpg

Facebook reply about the delay:

Anime Limited: Basically because the video does not match the subs or dubs that were created for the original version. This is a whole world of pain for us as you have to resynchronise everything manually.

My only gripe is that these new releases don't have Bandai's translated credits, which annoys me about all the modern releases aside from those put out by Viz and Funimation.

SnowWolf said:
My only gripe is that these new releases don't have Bandai's translated credits, which annoys me about all the modern releases aside from those put out by Viz and Funimation.
Don’t forget Discotek as well, they translate the opening / closing credits on their releases…and they translate EVERYTHING, not just the actors names, like it would in a fan sub.

LtDiscotek said:
SnowWolf said:
Don’t forget Discotek as well, they translate the opening / closing credits on their releases…and they translate EVERYTHING, not just the actors names, like it would in a fan sub.

Not really, fansub's love to leave their favourite Japanese words in untranslated. Localising everything into smooth English is professional so I'm glad Discotek do that. Good to hear.

GolGotha said:
Facebook reply about the delay:

Anime Limited: Basically because the video does not match the subs or dubs that were created for the original version. This is a whole world of pain for us as you have to resynchronise everything manually.
That'd be fine if that wasn't what was holding things up last time.

SnowWolf said:
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I usually hate it when people translate the credits.
R1 companies like to use massive ugly fonts, mess with the timing so the credits are in a different place, and if I remember they also sometimes remove any nice transition effects too (I think this happened with Guilty Crown?).
I like it when shows like Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail, Guilty Crown and Psycho Pass have Japanese and English OP credits, as it still looks nice and they don't use massive ugly fonts. (even then Funi replaced them for Guilty Crown.)

Then there's also replacing the Japanese Logo with an English One. The only example of this off the top of my head is Accel World, and the edit job for that was rather dodgy.

Mangaranga said:
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I usually hate it when people translate the credits.
R1 companies like to use massive ugly fonts, mess with the timing so the credits are in a different place, and if I remember they also sometimes remove any nice transition effects too (I think this happened with Guilty Crown?).
I like it when shows like Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail, Guilty Crown and Psycho Pass have Japanese and English OP credits, as it still looks nice and they don't use massive ugly fonts. (even then Funi replaced them for Guilty Crown.)

Then there's also replacing the Japanese Logo with an English One. The only example of this off the top of my head is Accel World, and the edit job for that was rather dodgy.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't mind when the English is already under the Japanese. I just think in an English release, the credits should be readable to that target audience, not something we have to look up elsewhere if we want to know what they say.

Funimation replaced Ouran's and Fullmetal Alchemist's logo though Madman kept the Japanese logo for their FMA release.

Personally I'm not fussed when it comes to credits as I never read them and normal just skip them.

Don't Sentai do both. Japanese credits and then a black screen after with English credits. That caters to both.

Another way they could cater to both is seamless branching. Funi used to do that. I have their original Witchblade DVDs. The release where there is four episodes a disc and six volumes. On them, when you select Japanese audio you get Japanese credits and when you select English audio you get English credits.

As long as they never do what Manga US did with their Guyver DVDs (original series). For those who don't know, they put black/dark grey boxes over the Japanese credits and then put the English credits in the boxes.

Back