New DMP Kickstarter announced: the Yaoi manga of Sakira

Ian Wolf

Harem King
AUKN Staff
Digital Manga Publishing has announced a new Kickstarter project, their second such scheme to cover yaoi.

The "June" branch of DMP has announced that on Monday 21st December it will launch a project to release nine titles by the author Sakira. At the moment the company releases three of Sakira's titles digitally via their emanga website: <em>Sailor Men</em>, <em>Wild Boyfriend</em> and <em>Don&rsquo;t Rub Yourself Against My Ass!!</em>

A newsletter sent by June displayed the following information states that you can order as many different titles that you like which are on offer, and the stock is unlimited. It also states that these print titles will not be on sale through retailers later on, so they can only be ordered via Kickstarter, or possibly via DMP's online stores like Akadot.

In terms of Kickstarter projects covering yaoi, DMP last project was to restock Ayano Yamane's <em>Finder</em> series. The project asked for $45,000 and it reached $60,000.

Not sure if this will get the funding. Their last Kickstarter project didn't make its target, but the last time DMP did a yaoi Kickstarter it did pretty well.

I've got a lot of respect for some of the work DMP has done over the years, but I just can't get on board with this idea of going to Kickstarter when you're dealing with a contemporary artist. Or more generally with the idea of a publisher using Kickstarter at all.

I don't like the fact that they won't be available outside the Kickstarter. So if you're poor when the KS ends, then you're screwed, and international shipping from DMP will be expensive too. I won't be supporting this.

That is way worse than I assumed. Kickstarter isn't meant to be an alternate store front, it's meant to get your initiative going ("kickstart it", if you will). Using it this way sucks.

st_owly said:
I don't like the fact that they won't be available outside the Kickstarter. So if you're poor when the KS ends, then you're screwed, and international shipping from DMP will be expensive too. I won't be supporting this.

Same I more upset that they won't be available normally =( one of my fav artist to would have loved to own copies of her work

Back