New commercials in old properties...

Jaymii

Baka Ranger
I find this fascinating. In order to make reruns of How I Met Your Mother profitable, FOX have been inserting and altering the backgrounds of scenes to promote "Bad Teacher", "Zookeeper", etc. The technology can be changed depending on when and even where the program has aired so there's a constant source of money from these already pricey syndication shows.

How_met_mother_510.jpg

More information here if you're interested!

I don't hate the idea and although there's arguably some questionable integrity going on, I think I'm leaning towards being "for" stuff like this. I find it kind of neat.

How exactly do you watch a sitcom properly? If you mean starting from episode 1, I tried. Think I got to about episode 6... I just don't get it. But I do love Jason Segal.

Oh, in order is all I meant. :) I like 'em all and I like the mythology it builds up. I'm not a big fan of other shows like it, like Big Bang Theory, Friends, etc but HIMYM clicks really well for me. It's a mix between that form and something more complex.

Friends works for me as a sitcom, i can watch 1 episode then not watch it for years, then jump back into it and they are episodic so i don't feel like i've missed out on much.

How i met your mother has songs in it and for that reason alone i think "its in league with Glee".... for the benchmark i hate Glee because its managed to spam the radio with that journey song, im a firm believer in leaving songs how their meant to be.

In other terms, if anyone sings a frank sinatra, they have to sing it the way frank did. Don't change it, don't add in the dramatic "whoooaaa yeaa yeahhhhh" **** into it. As you can see, for me to enjoy it - that link would have to be broken. In other words no songs at all and no covers because i'll turn the tv off and head to the pub for some live music.

2 penneth

Tachi said:
In other terms, if anyone sings a frank sinatra, they have to sing it the way frank did. Don't change it, don't add in the dramatic "whoooaaa yeaa yeahhhhh" **** into it. As you can see, for me to enjoy it - that link would have to be broken. In other words no songs at all and no covers because i'll turn the tv off and head to the pub for some live music.

Tachi that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard come out of your fingers.

Take for example one of the greatest songs of all time, though not to my personal taste, Whitney Houston - I will always love you. That song is a cover and sounds absolutely nothing like the original. I could name others... but I don't wanna.

Its personal preference, linkin park did a cover of an Adele song at the gig i was at on monday. I love LP and Hate, seriously hate adele. Now their own spin of it didn't annoy me as much as the original. So yeah in some cases it works. But in the past i've heard women singing songs originally sung by men, they then add in a dramatic "whoooooaaaaaah" and IMO it F***ing ruins it.

Case by case basis +personal preference. Only applicable to me.

In 136 episodes of How I Met Your Mother, they featured a song on their hundredth... If you're going there, Ross sang Wimba Way before.

It was a song about suits.

Didn't really need to hear it 1000 times from my mate who loves the show, everytime i spoke to him he'd play the video clip on his phone and sing the song.

your lucky skikes, i like you.... no not that way... but in the fact that i will tolerate the stoopid comment but as for that fat monotoned cow imma RAAAAAAAAAAAGE

But not now... as its time to leave

See you all on the other side :)

I must confess to not watching HIMYM, but I understand the general concept is that it's a dad explaining how he met the kids mother... I kinda figure, wouldn't it be best to skip right to that part, if it's been 136 eps and he's still not met her...why would his kids care about all his prior dates and such? Again, not a watcher so I may be totally wrong but I'm just confused by this.

Tachi said:
your lucky skikes, i like you.... no not that way.

Good. Because I'm way out of your league. :)

Monotone? You need your ears checked. Yeah, she's fat but she's still hot. She's a hot fat chick.

Just another reason to stop watching TV. When I can pay to watch the programmes I want when I want without adverts, I might give TV another ch... Oh wait, DVDs.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I must confess to not watching HIMYM, but I understand the general concept is that it's a dad explaining how he met the kids mother... I kinda figure, wouldn't it be best to skip right to that part, if it's been 136 eps and he's still not met her...why would his kids care about all his prior dates and such? Again, not a watcher so I may be totally wrong but I'm just confused by this.
It uses the unreliable narrator (Future Ted) to tell a story over a number of years and if you watch it like that you might as well skip to the last five minutes of Smallville as well. Cos, uhm, we don't know the mother six seasons in. They drop mythology hints every now and then (like Future Ted getting dates confused) and we now the tidbits about her but that's just a frustrating way to watch the show. It's best to just enjoy the lulz provided by Neil Patrick Harris and treat it more like a pretty smart sitcom.

ayase said:
Just another reason to stop watching TV. When I can pay to watch the programmes I want when I want without adverts, I might give TV another ch... Oh wait, DVDs.
With online blurays, I can't help but thing this type of stuff will start to be used more. I hear EA have been doing it in the billboards in their games for a while now too.

How have they not actually yet reached the point of the dude meeting the kids mother, I mean... 136 episodes, really?

Yeah, the tech has been in games for a while now, if there are ads anyway then I don't see how it makes it any worse, but if it's to put in additional ones in place of something else then I don't like it.

Lupus said:
How have they not actually yet reached the point of the dude meeting the kids mother, I mean... 136 episodes, really?
It's a sitcom.

ilmaestro said:
Yeah, the tech has been in games for a while now, if there are ads anyway then I don't see how it makes it any worse, but if it's to put in additional ones in place of something else then I don't like it.
They're editing and changing stuff right now. I imagine if it booms, then we'll see a lot of interchangeable advertising parts. Might even be able to target certain demos.

Yeah, when they start putting stuff in specifically so it can be used as a rolling billboard, then it will potentially get annoying.

Back