Baka and Test: Summon The Beasts - The Complete Series 1

(DVD) (Manga Entertainment)

RRP: £29.99

51ID01zWJnL.jpg

Clannad: Series 1, Part 1

(DVD) (Manga Entertainment)

RRP: £29.99

28872572_500x500_1.jpg

It's great to see Clannad out here officially, but why oh why didn't Manga do it as a collection, even if they wouldnt touch BDs for a series like this :(

alexrose1uk said:
It's great to see Clannad out here officially, but why oh why didn't Manga do it as a collection, even if they wouldnt touch BDs for a series like this :(

Probably becuase the price tag would put people off. It's also the same pattern they've followed with other 24-26 episode series.

Bloody hell Clannad and Baka & Test are expensive aren't they? (Well, for standard Manga releases).

Luckily Amazon is offering Clannad for £18. Everywhere else is madness.

£30 RRP for a 12 episode set is no different to three or four years ago when MVM/ADV's usual release plan was a 4 episode disc for a tenner (and that's what you'd pay - RRP was normally £15.99). Some people will no doubt think that's a bad thing, but I always thought that was a fair price to pay.

The fact that Blu-ray now exists however is a whole different matter.

ayase said:
£30 RRP for a 12 episode set is no different to three or four years ago when MVM/ADV's usual release plan was a 4 episode disc for a tenner (and that's what you'd pay - RRP was normally £15.99). Some people will no doubt think that's a bad thing, but I always thought that was a fair price to pay.

Well yeah, I remember the days of collecting 13 Fullmetal Alchemist DVDs and 10 Mobile Suit Gundam SEED DESTINY DVDs, when today those series' would have been completed in 4 releases.

It goes back to how for the last few years, MangaUK have had a policy of offering the cheapest releases for as little as they can, which meant that a release could easily be picked up for £14.99 online. I wonder how much the close of the VAT loophole has to do with it, but I'll definitely be picking up Clannad from Amazon, not Play.com or HMV.

Joshawott said:
It goes back to how for the last few years, MangaUK have had a policy of offering the cheapest releases for as little as they can, which meant that a release could easily be picked up for £14.99 online.
Yeah, but that struck me as pretty unsustainable especially with the economy and the admittedly low take up Manga have been getting on the more niche titles.

Baka & Test is debatable (seems pretty popular) but I think selling Clannad for anything less than that would be to tempt the "only sold 100 copies at ten quid each, ****" scenario again.

My copy of Clannad came from HMV, luckily it stayed at the £18 price for me. HMV seems to be either charging at the RRP price or more as of late, which is a shame as I prefer shopping with HMV compared to Amazon and Play.com.

With regards to the Clannad release, the box states to have 12 episodes across 2 discs when there are 3 discs with 4 between each. There are no special features that i've seen as it says on the box and the default is the sub, not the dub.

ayase said:
Indeed. I did have Baka & Test pre-ordered but a few days ago I cancelled and ordered the Funimation combo-pack from Planet Axel. Cost me £10 more but I just couldn't buy the DVD when a better version was out there (even though I initially passed on the BD/DVD on the basis that I wasn't sure I'd like the show enough). Sowwy Manga.

Speaking of Manga, they've pushed the RRPs for most of their 12/13 episode releases up from £25 to £30. I think £25 was probably too cheap and £30 is fair. Online pre-order discounts are exactly the same (40%). HMV had Baka & Test at £18 when I ordered it, but have since put the price up.

ayase said:
£30 RRP for a 12 episode set is no different to three or four years ago when MVM/ADV's usual release plan was a 4 episode disc for a tenner (and that's what you'd pay - RRP was normally £15.99).
My memory, which is admittedly hazy at best, is that ADVs RRP for singles remained at £19.99 right up till the end. MVM's RRP for singles was around £15.99, but only the titles distributed for FUNimation, not their own licenses like Samurai Seven.

Actually, I don't have to rely on my memory - Amazon still have the original singles of Red Garden, Innocent Venus and Samurai Seven in stock for £19.99 each.

I'd say BakaTest is worth buying, although the Funi dvd/bd was too good for me to bother waiting for Manga's release.

I'll pick up Clannad later, no need to buy now when I've got a massive backlog.

iv brought

baka and test
bleach movie 3

i hear Clannad is a romance series so il skip it for now

i hear baka and test is good so im waiting til i get the hole series

Lawrence said:
Are Clannad or Baka to Test even worth buying?

Baka to Test is an awesome comedy. When it was airing, it was one of the few shows I kept up to date with. Every episode I laugh out loud, even when I was in a public library.

I shall second Clannad, as it was a great series.

I probably shall pick them both up myself, when I have some money.

But then, do I buy Manga's Clannad DVDs or Sentai's Blu-ray? Then, Manga's Baka & Test DVDs or FUNimations DVD/BD?

Exactly you feel my pain. I want to support the series but its hard when you know you can get the entire series for the same as Manga will charge without waiting, and on BD as well.

Got both Baka And Test(limited edition) and Clannad on BD/DVD combo for Funi. I will not buy a DVD only release for such recent shows.

I do intend to pick up these Bleach movie BDs at some point though.

megagold5 said:
Got both Baka And Test(limited edition) and Clannad on BD/DVD combo for Funi. I will not buy a DVD only release for such recent shows.

Similar situation here, had the option of BD now or wait for Manga to release DvD. Higher quality & sooner is a hard combo for Manga to beat.

Price wise I think £30 is about right, and I hope Manga standardise their prices at this level for 12-13 episode releases.

I can't say I recall ADV singles ever being £15.99 RRP), though I do recall MvM doing that and me wondering why they were doing singles when everyone else had moved to 1/2 season sets.

Back