New Anime Releases 28/03/2011: Summer Wars!

Neferpitou

Stand User
New Anime Releases for Monday:

(Blu-Ray) Summer Wars

(RRP: £19.99)

13530423x.jpg

(Blu-Ray) Summer Wars/The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
(RRP: £29.99)

17435341x.jpg

Summer Wars
(RRP: £17.99)

13530420x.jpg

Summer Wars/The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
(RRP: £24.99)

17435340x.jpg

Durarara!! (SUB only): Part 2 of 3
(RRP: £24.99)

16151489x.jpg

Gundam 00 Season 2 Vol 2 of 3
(RRP: £34.99)

17681062x.jpg

Bamboo Blade: Complete Series 1
(RRP: £39.99)

18728128x.jpg

Just Summer Wars (Blu-ray) and Durarara!! for me. I picked up a 3DS this week and just can't afford Gunam 00. I will get around to it eventually.

My copy of the Summer Wars/The Girl Who Leapt Through Time BD double pack arrived this morning from HMV \o/

Summer Wars has a reversible cover, handy because Manga have stuck an unsightly smartphone-read barcode on the back of the regular cover.

But never mind that: Summer Wars! On BD! Hopefully I'll get around to watching it tonight.

Got my Durarara!! already and hoping to watch it soon. Imported Summer Wars (due to my blu-ray region issues), already have the excellent TokiKake on DVD, and imported G00 just because the time gap between previous volumes was so huge and I wanted to know what happened in one of my favourite series :(

No interest in Bamboo Blade, but good to see a well-packed release week after some rather lame ones lately.

R

Got the Summer Wars TGWLTT Blu-rays today. Yay...

Except Manga really ought to pay attention to their sleeve blurb.

Summer Wars is a port of the Funimation disc (via Madman), and it doesn't have the Stage Greeting Extra that the DVD has. It also does't have Stereo 2.0 Sound It's Dolby True HD 5.1 English & Japanese. And it has a Region 2 brand on the back.

My personal small annoyance is that Funimation changed the opening credits. In the DVD they are in Japanese, with an English translation in teeny tiny blue text underneath. The text is too small to be resolved on a DVD, and I had hoped to see what it looked like on Blu-ray, except Funimation changed it to English text in a plain white font.

But damn, the licence restrictions on TGWLTT are mean. The extras are gone as we expected, but it's also UPOP restricted, so that you can't change audio or subtitles on the fly. It's DTS-HD MA btw, not Stereo 2.0,5.1 and it's apparently another Region 2 Blu-ray

Also, they still haven't fixed the English subtitles, so that when someone is speaking in the rear channel (including one important line), there's no translation. Switching to the English track is therefore no quick easy matter.

But, there is a Spanish option from the disc insertion point, and you do get extras on that menu, albeit four trailers, Ghost in the Shell Innocence, Evangelion 1.11, Evangelion 2.0, and Sword of the Stranger

I noticed the Region 2 logos on the back covers of both BDs. There are "DVD Video" logos as well :D

I'm not usually one to watch extras but the Stage Greeting thingy sounds quite interesting. Consider me mildly pissed off that it's not on the BD.

Even though you're not a fan of dubs, I reckon you should give TGWLTT's a listen. It's easily one of best I've heard and features an amazing performance from a 14/15 year-old Emily Hirst as Makoto.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I noticed the Region 2 logos on the back covers of both BDs. There are "DVD Video" logos as well :D

I'm not usually one to watch extras but the Stage Greeting thingy sounds quite interesting. Consider me mildly pissed off that it's not on the BD.

Even though you're not a fan of dubs, I reckon you should give TGWLTT's a listen. It's easily one of best I've heard and features an amazing performance from a 14/15 year-old Emily Hirst as Makoto.

The Americans were even more peeved when their Blu-ray was absent the director's commentary that was promised them. The Stage Greeting is just the cast and crew at the film's premiere. It's pretty good to watch, but I did notice a bit of repetition in the Q&A bit, and the interviews that are on the disc. The nature of press junkets I guess. It isn't a major loss.

The first time I saw TGWLTT was on a DVD-R check disc from Manga that I had to review, and it had only the film on it, and the English dub, so I 'had' to watch it dubbed. I agree it's one of the best dubs that an anime film has received. But I am a sub fan, so I got the two disc set last year, and Blu-ray now.

Interestingly, the subtitle problem is present in every version of the film I have seen, including a cinema screening last February. The 35 mm print was also lacking subs for the rear dialogue.

So what does our Summer wars have? (once againg Manga haven't listed them in the product description anywhere)

So we lost two main Japanese audio tracks: 2.0 PCM and the Dolby-True HD 5.1, the comentary (was expected, it was LE BD only in Japan) and all the packaging extras.

We got the Stage Greeting
What about the 2 interviews, storyboards and all the TV spots.

Summer Wars DVD...

Special Features:
Interview with Director at Locarno
Stage Greeting
Cast Interview
Trailer
Teaser Trailers (x 2)
TV Spots (x 4)

Video Tracks:
1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen

Audio Tracks:
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround English
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Japanese

Summer Wars Blu-Ray

Special Features:
Interview with Director at Locarno
Cast Interviews (separate featurettes instead of just one big one on the DVD)
Trailer
Teaser Trailers (x 2)
TV Spots (x 4)

Video Tracks:
1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen

Audio Tracks:
Dolby True HD 5.1 Surround English
Dolby True HD 5.1 Surround Japanese

no stage greeting on the Blu-ray

Wow, sort of glad I have avoided Manga's TGWLTT. If I want a blu-ray, I don't want to put up with restrictions for no good reason. It doesn't serve the consumer at all, it just serves the licensor. Not happy buying that kind of thing.

I do wonder why we are getting so many restricted discs here lately (had my first hit with this personally with the sublicensed Layton DVD, when I was unable to show someone the dub with subtitles on - great for hard of hearing people if there are no options for them for no logical reason :roll:). Are the UK companies simply worse at negotiating than foreign ones when it comes to Japan? You'd think being in a silly region we'd be in a better position to negotiate; though the US still doesn't have Layton at all I guess.

R

They've been going on about fears of market decline, so you would think they (licensors and publishers) would try to put out good product as incentives instead of having a bunch of material already there but artificially dumping content and putting other restrictions in place, making it less attractive to the consumer. It's not like it really costs anyone extra to put an already existing featurette on the disc or let people choose whatever combination of dubs and subs they like.

JohnC said:
They've been going on about fears of market decline, so you would think they (licensors and publishers) would try to put out good product as incentives instead of having a bunch of material already there but artificially dumping content and putting other restrictions in place, making it less attractive to the consumer. It's not like it really costs anyone extra to put an already existing featurette on the disc or let people choose whatever combination of dubs and subs they like.

Just to clarify, the situation with TGWLTT is unlike Professor Layton. Kaze authored discs (Layton and Vampire Knight Guilty) go over the top with UPOPs as they restrict user choice when it comes to subs and dubs. I asked Manga about it once, and apparently that's just how Kaze do things in Europe.

TGWLTT still lets you choose which combination of sub and dub you want to watch, you just have to do it from the main menu you can't do it within the film.

I know the Kaze, Viz combination makes things easy for Manga, getting their masters from just across the Channel, but I hope it doesn't extend to existing Viz properties like Bleach and Naruto.

I got the latest check discs for Bleach S6 P1 recently, they are Madman authored from Australia, and they have the sweetest native PAL transfers now...

The Australian madman girl who leapt tghrogh time bluray does have extras. They just included an extra dvd with the bluray as part of the set to avoid the restrictions.

There is no reason why Manga couldn't do the same as Madman. Prob were just being lazy and saving themselves blank dvds.

Just Passing Through said:
I got the latest check discs for Bleach S6 P1 recently, they are Madman authored from Australia, and they have the sweetest native PAL transfers now...
Why...
The series looks like ass anyway. Give the good masters to the Bandai sub-licences, they deserve it for the most part. Why the hell does Bleach get a better master than Haruhi :roll:

Give the good video to show that spent the budget on animation, not just seiyuu. :evil:

I don't know what the Region 4 Haruhi S2 looks like, but it did come out at the time that R4 anime was making the switch to native PAL. We'll have to see what the Manga release looks like to judge.

Actually, more and more anime coming via Australia is native PAL. Slayers Evolution-R is, but Slayers Revolution wasn't, if you want a guess where the borderline was.

The final volume of Soul Eater was PAL, and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood went PAL from Part 2 onwards. Even the Tower of Druaga is PAL. Eden of the East was PAL, so was Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne (the first time I noticed a series with a PAL transfer). So the good shows are getting the better treatment.

The point being that Bleach getting PAL now can surely only be a good thing. If the Region 4 industry is applying PAL to something as generic as Bleach, then they ought to be applying it across the board.

Ah, nice to have a release announced and know MY PRE-ORDERED COPY IS ALREADY AT HOME! Yay! Now if only I could watch my DVDs in the UK all the way from Germany. ;_;

So, can someone confirm, you can watch TokiKake in Japanese with no subs? I want to double dip on Summer Wars so I can actually show it to other people, but will buy it separately if otherwise.

DRRR!! I'd nearly forgotten about with the release delays, but yay anyway. Probably shelving plans for a rewatch thought pending any Japanese BD set announcement.

ilmaestro said:
So, can someone confirm, you can watch TokiKake in Japanese with no subs? I want to double dip on Summer Wars so I can actually show it to other people, but will buy it separately if otherwise.

Yes, you just have to turn the subs of from the main menu. You can't do it while the film is playing, that's all.

Back