New Anime Releases - 21/12/2014

Elaniel said:
black1blade said:
Same. I may even get the import set in the far future, it wont cost more than £250.

You can actually get it from Amazon Japan for £175 with shipping and import fees paid up front all inclusive.
That's why I'm mighty tempted.

Only thing putting me off is the final movie has no subtitles that was released individually. Makes me inclined to wait for a subtitled full set (or even if Aniplex released them separately like Gurren Lagann)
I'd say go for it. I paid something like £230 for mine and I don't regret it at all. The final movie is a bit of a mystery though.
AniplexUSA hasn't said anything about it at all, which is a bit confusing as I emailed Aniplex Japan in January asking if it would have Engsubs and got this response:
Thank you for your contact and interest toward our products.
The Garden of the Sinners Mirai Fukuin Japanese BD does not contain English subtitle.
we will inform you the further information about English BD from our USA homepage.
We appreciate your kind understanding and support.
Sincerely,
Aniplex
11 months later and still nothing. I even asked the Aniplex guy at the May MCM Comicon when AniplexUSA were going to be releasing Mirai Fukuin, but the answer I got was that MVM had the rights to the 7 films in the UK. Didn't answer the question at all.

Nothing for me this week,
Kabukimonogatari & Nisemonogatari - Don't own any of the Monogatari series.
Watamote on BD - Might get at some point.
Garden Of Sinners - Might get at some point if a bd version becomes available.

Aniplex > Any other version ~ with regards to Kabukimonogatari and Kara no Kyoukai - and also every other licensed Aniplex of America title.*

I already own the US sets for Monogatari series: First Season (Bake, Nise & Neko Black) so it's obvious I'll keep the consistency with that franchise (after all the series is one of my favourites).

I watched Watamote on Crunchyroll and I liked it but it's a show I may not want to go through again. But I'll probably pick it up once I get through a bunch of other stuff I need to pick up first.

Now Kara no Kyoukai has an English subtitled Blu-ray release in Japan (the newest movie doesn't, as mentioned before) so I'll be getting that version at some point, hopefully in 2015.

*Durarara!! and Gurren Lagann were exceptions. DRRR!! didn't have signs subs which were needed for the English dub while Gurren was just too pricey at the time as it was an import. The singles I might consider but it's not a priority at this point. Kill la Kill was also an exception but I may reconsider, I like the show after all.

I've found Aniplex USA rather disappointing lately, from DVD-only releases to cheaper LEs (which are sadly, not cheaper for us to buy) to their general hostility towards people in the grey area outside Japan and the US, which I personally feel comes from pressure from UK companies even though there aren't any directly competing products here. I'm buying a lot less from Aniplex USA than I used to :(

R

Rui said:
I've found Aniplex USA rather disappointing lately, from DVD-only releases to cheaper LEs (which are sadly, not cheaper for us to buy) to their general hostility towards people in the grey area outside Japan and the US, which I personally feel comes from pressure from UK companies even though there aren't any directly competing products here. I'm buying a lot less from Aniplex USA than I used to :(

R
Hah, if only I was the same way. I'm buying more and more of their releases. In a market where lots of releases are of questionable quality, it's nice to have someone who puts out a product on par with the Japanese releases. I honestly don't think I could buy a product solely from a UK/AU company if an Aniplex release exists due to the massive step up in quality they offer (except for shows I found pretty meh like SamFlam). In all honesty I'm only really buying the UK Kill La Kill release for the booklet and to support AL. That said, unlike Fate/Zero for example, the quality of the UK KlK release isn't far off from the Aniplex release which makes a nice change.

Re: New Anime Releases - 22/12/2014

No Matter How I Look At It It's a Fake Twistory of Blu-ray Sinners!

► MVM ENTERTAINMENT:
◄ Garden of Sinners DVD: AniplexAllowABDRelease.png
◄ Kabukimonogatari BD: AniplexAllowA2ndSeasonBoxset.png
◄ Nisemonogatari complete collection BD: AniplexAllowA2ndSeasonBoxsetAndThenIllGetThis.png
◄ Watamote - No Matter How I Look At It It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular BD: Let me be fully honest here, I have my doubts. I know I'll love this anime, but I doubt whether I should get the MVM or Sentai BD actually. I like both covers to an extent, but the Sentai cover catches way more of the vibe I felt whenever learning or seeing stuff of this franchise. In the past I usually said I'd go for an UK edition where possible, but the disc count logos have partly swayed me away from that. So I'm left on a decisional crossroad of MVM vs Sentai Filmworks. While no firm decisions have been made as of yet, I definitely am going to pick up Watamote on BD someday, no matter how I look at it.

Not a week late.

Elaniel said:
What is everyone's opinion of Garden of Sinners getting a Blu-Ray release in the UK or USA eventually?
I am tempted to pick up, but don't like to double dip.
Much like some others I am putting faith in an eventual Blu-ray release. I don't trust Aniplex, ironically my problem here isn't the lack of a dub this time around. xD
black1blade said:
My bet would be 2017 for the earliest. It will probably have to be madman first.
I could see this happen, but some part of me wants to be positive and expect it a bit sooner. Albeit I don't mind it being 2017.
black1blade said:
The last film is more like an add-on, I don't really consider it part of the full series tbh. I would be up for buying the localised blu ray singles if they where like £15-20 per movie.
£15 times 8 = £120. Bloody (;P) hell, that's a lot. £20 times 8 = £160. Still do want it on Blu-ray though. Albeit in a bundle it should be a bit cheaper alike the DVD CE.
Rui said:
I've found Aniplex USA rather disappointing lately
It'd surprise me if any regulars reading my posts would not know that I kind of perceive Aniplex as backstabbers.
DVD-only & cheap-ified CE as you mention already are stupid to see happen, but for me the dub aspect comes on top of that.
Then there's the monetary situation that keeps me from importing any AoA releases, albeit I have been tempted by at least 2 releases before.
Rui said:
to their general hostility towards people in the grey area outside Japan and the US,
The fun part is that while we can complain about the UK, there is at least actually an existing industry over there in the UK. Benelux, still a barren wasteland.
I'm fine with that though for now, can't imagine anybody doing a good job of getting us (quality) releases unless Andrew P. or Jerome M. expand their company into this territory and play it tactically in the economical Euro-crisis.
Rui said:
which I personally feel comes from pressure from UK companies even though there aren't any directly competing products here. I'm buying a lot less from Aniplex USA than I used to :(
I doubt Aniplex is afraid of Manga, Kaze, MVM, Anime Ltd or Animatsu. Anime Ltd is pretty much our Aniplex; only better, friendlier, more communicative and much more good words.
Mangaranga said:
In a market where lots of releases are of questionable quality, it's nice to have someone who puts out a product on par with the Japanese releases.
That's like saying the twin sister of your girlfriend also is smoking hot, what did you expect?! Not trying to snatch you or so. Just saying what I think. xP

Mangaranga said:
In all honesty I'm only really buying the UK Kill La Kill release for the booklet and to support AL.
That's a better reason than to buy something for the slipcover. *looks at right* Yeah.

Mangaranga said:
That said, unlike Fate/Zero for example, the quality of the UK KlK release isn't far off from the Aniplex release which makes a nice change.
Fate/Zero remains one of the best attempts at some sort of collector's edition of any and especially Aniplex title in the UK*. (which is partially really sad)
Compared to any Aniplex titles put out by either Kaze or Manga MVM's boxset is like the cherry on an apple pie. Yes, I said that right.

*topping that are Durarara, apparently from rumours Kill La Kill and some big fans may say Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann which I still perceive as a huge deceptive fail. No harm meant to Andrew though.

Rui said:
I think it's very likely. We still need the final film released on BD in a form suitable for those who bought the expensive set in the west, too.

I have the US versions of everything this week (except Garden of Sinners, for which I have the French and Japanese releases ^^; ) so I am not spending any money. They're all good shows, though, and it's a nice BD-heavy selection.

R

Last I heard they were outright blocking any BD release on it, I'd expect it'd be quite a few years before they relent on that stance.

As for the titles, have the US Monogatari's and Watamote, got Garden of Sinners on order.

Lutga said:
GolGotha said:
Garden of Sinners arrived today, really pleased with the packaging! :)

Are there any pictures/unboxings available of it yet? Interested to see what it looks like.

Judging by a photo someone put on MVM's Facebook, the BBFC and MVM logos are on a slip and not on the artbox.

Lutga said:
GolGotha said:

Are there any pictures/unboxings available of it yet? Interested to see what it looks like.
There's a couple on youtube but not sure about rules on links on this site so won't post any, but if you just search Garden of Sinners Unboxing and then filter to this week you'll find them, the camera quality isn't exactly great though.

NormanicGrav said:
Judging by a photo someone put on MVM's Facebook, the BBFC and MVM logos are on a slip and not on the artbox.
Sadly not the case, they're on both which kinda makes me wonder why they even bothered with the slip.

Sadly yes, that is the case, much to my disappointment, but aside from that it's a nice clean cover and a decent quality box. Only other downside was the spine to my booklet was already worn away...

I can take several photos tomorrow for you, if you'd still like some.

NormanicGrav said:
Lutga said:
GolGotha said:

I was going to say, if that was true, I'd have really shocked.

Got the Watamote Blu-ray yesterday. Interesting to see that it's been reauthored for Region B by Hanabee, given the US disc is Region AB. Th subs and audio are locked during playback, but you can have any combination accessible from the menu, Eng with subs, Eng with signs, Japanese with subs, or with signs.

A promising development is that the subtitles are in a nice, small, white font, not the Sentai yellow-mega-font.

Back