New Anime Releases for Monday:

Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino Complete Season 2 Box Set

(RRP: £24.99)

18571338_300x300_1.jpg

Naruto Shippuden Volume 5
(RRP: £24.99)

18571344_300x300_1.jpg

Anime to be Released the Week After (23/05/2011):
Shikabane Hime: Corpse Princess Part 1 of 2 (RRP: £24.99)
Vampire Knight Guilty: Volume 2 of 4 (RRP: £12.99)

HdE said:
Mruh. I'd probably pick up Gunslinger if I could easily get hold of the first season...

You only need Season 1 or rather Series 1 if you're a collector. While both adapt from the same material, they aren't connected narratively. If you think of Season 2 as a sequel, you're head'll go funny trying to reconcile the breaks in continuity.

Actually, it may be advantageous to not have seen the first series. Without Gunslinger Girl, Il Teatrino is a solid, entertaining, and really quite decent anime series, if something of a slow burner. I'd call it an 8/10.

The trouble is that if you have seen the first series, you will compare it, and Il Teatrino does fall way short in comparison.

But the first Gunslinger Girl was from Madhouse, sky high production values, and an emphasis on emotion and character that raises it beyond brilliant in my opinion.

Having said that, Il Teatrino is actually better than the first series at telling an ongoing, serial story.

Couldn't get into Gunslinger girl 2 nothing like the first, animated by a different studio it just looked aweful (in comparrison to the first), wish i could wipe it from my memory.... you could probbly watch this as a seperate anime and it wouldn't matter.

Got Shikabane Hime: Corpse Princess on preorder, looks like an interesting anime, dont know a great deal about it so hoping it will be good :)

I was thinking about getting both seasons, but I want to clarify a few things, the blu-ray releases over in the US, aren't they region-free? I took a look at axel's site and it seems it is.

Walking in HMV, I see Naruto Shippuden vol. 5 has a completely different cover than what we've been seeing the last few months. It's a much better cover, but still a weird surprise.

ColdCobra said:
Walking in HMV, I see Naruto Shippuden vol. 5 has a completely different cover than what we've been seeing the last few months. It's a much better cover, but still a weird surprise.

Yea they said on Twitter not so long back that it had been changed.

Looks like this now

If you're like me and can't be asked to wait on Manga to release the Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino OVA, and want it on DVD you might be interested to know that the DVD is Region free, or Region 1 & 2 at least.

I ordered mine as soon as I learned that the Manga release wouldn't have it, and discovered today while I was screencapping it, that it played without issue in my Region 2 DVD-ROM.

It's just under a fiver at Play.com if you're interested.

Back