New Anime Releases 04/02/2013

Just thought I'd post this here, but there so far there are No Subs whatsoever for songs in Tiger and Bunny (Insert/OP/ED) regardless of audio track. Some episodes don't even have a signs track but I don't know if that affects anything yet.
Something to consider for those thinking about importing Viz/Siren sets.

EDIT: Also there's no Extras on the BD despite it saying so on the disc.

Mangaranga said:
Just thought I'd post this here, but there so far there are No Subs whatsoever for songs in Tiger and Bunny (Insert/OP/ED) regardless of audio track. Some episodes don't even have a signs track but I don't know if that affects anything yet.

I've seen all the way up to episode 6, and aside from the OP/ED issue, this is one time that Kaze get the subs almost right. I've just checked again on the DVD, and Blue Rose's song in episode 4 does get subtitles in the Japanese track, while it's dubbed into English otherwise as are all the other insert songs so far.

The episodes without a signs track on the Blu-ray don't actually have signs to translate. All of the text in T & B is in English, and the episodes with important English text will actually have burnt in Japanese subtitles. These don't need to be translated in the English dub, and neither do they need to be captioned for us in the Japanese, because the original English text is visible. But the Kaze discs translate it anyway, so we get the image and the the text repeated in subtitle form.

The main reason for the signs track is for Tiger and Bunny's suit mechanic, Saito, whose running gag is that he's hardly audible. Burnt in Japanese subtitles appear when he talks, and the Kaze discs subtitle this in both English and Japanese audio tracks.

Just Passing Through said:
Mangaranga said:

I've seen all the way up to episode 6, and aside from the OP/ED issue, this is one time that Kaze get the subs almost right. I've just checked again on the DVD, and Blue Rose's song in episode 4 does get subtitles in the Japanese track, while it's dubbed into English otherwise as are all the other insert songs so far.

The episodes without a signs track on the Blu-ray don't actually have signs to translate. All of the text in T & B is in English, and the episodes with important English text will actually have burnt in Japanese subtitles. These don't need to be translated in the English dub, and neither do they need to be captioned for us in the Japanese, because the original English text is visible. But the Kaze discs translate it anyway, so we get the image and the the text repeated in subtitle form.

The main reason for the signs track is for Tiger and Bunny's suit mechanic, Saito, whose running gag is that he's hardly audible. Burnt in Japanese subtitles appear when he talks, and the Kaze discs subtitle this in both English and Japanese audio tracks.
The lack of Subs and Extras as advertised are still enough to annoy me.
I suppose I should come to expect Kaze discs to be missing extras, but it does say that they should be present on the BD disc itself.

If their release is going to be sub par, why should I support their releases when other companies can do things right?
Every time I buy a Kaze release I feel like I've thrown my money away. We shouldn't be having to deal with these issues/lack of extras.

this is one time that Kaze get the subs almost right.
Sounds more like a case of there not being much for them to mess up. And it's reassuring to know that they subtitle on-screen text already written in English while not translating some Japanese text in other releases >:{D

What extras was the release supposed to have?

fabricatedlunatic said:
this is one time that Kaze get the subs almost right.
Sounds more like a case of there not being much for them to mess up. And it's reassuring to know that they subtitle on-screen text already written in English while not translating some Japanese text in other releases >:{D

What extras was the release supposed to have?
By the looks of it a 'making of' feature and NCOP/ED. The extras are on the DVD but are missing from the BD even though it says they are included on the disc.
Funny thing as well, the NCOP/EDs on the DVDs have hardsubbed japanese karaoke, so no English subs for the OP/ED at all.

It's a labelling error. The Blu-ray says episodes plus extras, the DVD says episodes plus extras, but the only extra is the making of documentary on the DVD and karaoke credits. It's economics. Cheaper to master DVDs, and since it's all in one big package, there's no need to waste money putting a DVD bonus on the Blu-ray as well.

They did the same with Journey to Agartha in the Collector's Edition. Single layer Blu-ray I guess, barebones movie DVD, and extras all on a second DVD.

Buy it from Sentai, or Madman and you get separate Blu-ray and DVD editions, the DVD is two disc, movie and extras, while the Blu-ray has the extras on disc and in HD, instead of the crappy NTSC PAL conversions we get here.

Probably subtitled better, and with the Shinkai commentary.

Eurgh... I do wonder why I keep buying Kaze releases... Every time I think "Once more chance, surely they will get it right", but no, they never do and I doubt they ever will.
I do wonder why they unnecessarily lock down every single disc they put out.

Might they have used the Japanese release's subs, which I don't recall having subbed OP/ED either? They may of course have been Kaze's or Viz's in the first place from the streaming (and streams rarely have OP/ED subs due to music rights issues). You'd think I'd remember as I watched the whole series twice back to back, but apparently I don't.

ISTR that the quality of the bonus footage wasn't exactly super-high, so it being DVD-only is probably not a major loss - other than the inconvenience.

R

Yeah, it is a minor inconvenience (such as when I was watching Agartha on BD last night) but if I want to watch them, I'll swap to the DVD. No different to some releases having a dedicated bonus disc to that effect.

britguy said:
Amazon let me down, no T&B today :(
I bought Code Geass and Agartha from Amazon with First Class postage, both came the day after release.
Ordered Tiger & Bunny with second class postage, came today - release day.

It makes no sense at all!

My T&B was from Amazon and came today.

I just noticed a typo on the Tiger & Bunny set:
Unlike most law enforcement Stern Bild's protectors of justice their actions are recorded from Hero TV

Lulwut?
Also, there's a heck of a lot of places where commas are missing.

ConanThe3rd said:
Got it. Yet to watch it but I really hope they find a better way to pack the felies in the next volumes.
Don't know what felies means, but I'll assume you're referring to the cards and booklets. I agree that they need to be better accommodated within the release. I've just taken them out, as squashing them all into the fold-up 'box' causes it to be so big that it destroys the slipcase every time I remove and replace it.

Back