New Anime Releases - 04/01/2015

Already have Time of Eve collector's edition.

No interest in One Piece and am importing Michiko and Hatcin when a complete collection is released (or if MVM do one after the parts are out on DVD).

Got Eve through Kickstarter (thanks for all your help sorting it, Andrew). I'll get Michiko and Hitachin when a complete collection is released, and not interested in the rest.

Already own the US release of Michiko & Hatchin.

Not interested in One Piece.

Received the Time of Eve: Collector's Edition a couple of weeks ago.

Hey, look who's 4 months late replying ... >_< But I'll only tackle "weeks" I actually have some interest in at least one title ...

► ANIME LIMITED:
◄ Time of Eve BD: Rumour has it this is a very good movie ... And I am honestly very bummed all LEs are sold out already. -_-"
And I consider this a huge flaw with "limited editions". Indeed, if they don't sell out you didn't make them either good or limited enough. But 4 months after release being out is just bad.
I am honestly very pissed off about Haganai as well, by the way. It has been almost a year and I'm still not over that one. Just because I could not pre-order.
But that's off-topic ...

It's hard to even estimate how long the current Blu-ray release will be around for .. So I don't even have a clue when the license will go up for grabs again.
And whether anybody might think it's a good idea to do another LE is yet another question.

I even checked eBay and like one person is selling his for $200. :/ And somebody from the UK for about $40 without picture of which edition he's selling. Bloody hell.
And I am NOT going to pay €35 (=£25) for the standard edition of Time of Eve. Just not worth it I think. Also, the font on the spine is ugly. >_<

The thing I'd like to +1 them for is leaving the BBFC off the spine, since it doesn't have to be there according to the law when the spine is less than 2cm thick.
That some shops don't want to take stock of it then is ... is that even legally defensible? I mean, the distributors doing it don't do anything wrong then.

► MVM ENTERTAINMENT:
◄ Michiko & Hatchin - part 1 DVD: No way, Hosé. Blu-ray or bust. Same goes for part 2. (Not bothering commenting on that week's releases)

► MANGA ENTERTAINMENT:
◄ One Piece Movie 8 BD: Nope.exe

Disclaimer: due to college work and health issues I could not comment earlier, my sincere apologies to whoever is annoyed by me getting back to old topics.

Agent-347 said:
I consider this a huge flaw with "limited editions"
What, being limited? That's kinda the point of them being made, so that people grab them quickly and at higher prices before they're gone. I'm annoyed I missed out on the Perfect Blue LE, but there's no-one to blame for that but myself.

ayase said:
Agent-347 said:
I consider this a huge flaw with "limited editions"
What, being limited? That's kinda the point of them being made, so that people grab them quickly and at higher prices before they're gone. I'm annoyed I missed out on the Perfect Blue LE, but there's no-one to blame for that but myself.
Seriously, anime licenses go to up to 10 years with a possibility to extend licenses ... A lot of distributors do only one Limited Edition (or as Anime Ltd calls them: "Collector's Edition") and none after.
A lot of licenses after going OOP have a few years of being "untouchable" ahead either because negotiations only start when different companies interested in a title realize it's up for grabs again ...
Or because they think "it has only been 2 years since it was out, so we can wait a while to build up a base of potential customers".

Like ... if you look at the word "Collector's Edition" ... Somebody new to the anime buying scene in 2017 can also be a collector who would love to buy the 2014 DRRR Collector's Edition ...
But it's OOP, not findable at a reasonable price for an 18-year old and yet unknown but Anime Ltd will add another 5 years to their license ...
So the person is forced being either satisfied with illegally downloaded files, a standard edition or has to hold out for many years to come.

I mean, replace the Limited Edition that actually happened with all these DVD-only releases of which the Blu-ray release didn't happen. And let's now say Clannad. (referential pic)
I was there when Manga announced the licensed, I was there when Manga said they were considering a BD for the complete collections, I was there when the complete collections ended up being DVD-only as well ...
If I as a person didn't want a multi-region player or if it simply isn't affordable for me to get one (or to import in general) ... it takes at least until 2018 before the license goes up for grabs for a chance for there to be a Blu-ray.
And very likely it'll have to be OOP first for multiple years before a relicense happens. Which means, the me from 2012 being excited about a possible BD for Clannad easily has to wait TEN years for there to be an actual Blu-ray (if BD is still a thing in 2022)
That is a long time, for a lot of people that's more than 10% of their lifetime to wait for a Blu-ray of the show they're dying to own.

I have learnt in college even that Blu-ray sales in general have surpassed the 50/50 mark, so why MVM's sales are still like Manga's in 2012 seems rather weird to me.
Although MVM has stayed behind for so long and attracted so many DVD-buyers with their whole DOTW business ... so ... it's not unlikely /that/ happened.
And remember, Jerome Mazandarani moved Good Luck Girl and Ben-To to Blu-ray only because Blu-ray sales surpassed DVD sales and were more profitable given PAL master costs.
Why the new guys decided to turn around the decision seems retarded to me and not being future-proof at all.
I mean, for me personally ... Fairy Tail turned from a series I was definitely was going to buy to one I probably won't buy at all because even the US BDs turned to region A-only.
And to import it all from Australia I would need an income for sure because I can't see myself importing even 8 collections of Fairy Tail with customs being a thing.

In 2019 Blu-ray will be the standard, but somebody who really wants a Blu-ray of a DVD-only release from this year (let's say Arakawa or Needless) will not be able to get one because it's unlikely MVM will look back at these titles and upgrade them.

And to return this subject to Collector's Editions, which by most are called Limited Editions ... then it's the same.
If in 2019 a collector comes around and really wants THE collector's edition (or yea, limited edition) of a title and cannot be satisfied with anything less ...
but can't afford the $200 to $2000 bill attached to buying it off some capitalist on eBay ... that is deeply disappointing.

Most unacceptable to me is what happened with Haganai Next though. It was basically sold out on day 1. I didn't even stand a chance.
But in general, if a limited edition or collector's edition isn't capable of being around one year (and not even a pregnancy long), then not enough got printed in my opinion.
Of course they need to be out before the title goes OOP, so essentially before they decide to not do another print of standard editions.
But if a company will hold a license for 7 years, then having an edition only available for 3 or less months is just not enough in my book.

One of the reasons I mention in one of the other posts I posted today that I need to mail UP1 is because Good Luck Girl has been out since late 2013 .. I think it's about 18 months out now.
So it is nearing the point I could say "ok, it ran out because it ran out of its fair share of stock" although I feel if you have a 7 (or even 5) year license you should have your collector's edition available for easily half that time.

Disclaimer: A small reminder to anybody who forgot or is new to the forums, or may simply not know me too well: I'm not from the UK nor am I native English. So pardon my flawed English sentences and grammar.

I honestly have no idea how to respond to your post Agent haha.

Agent-347 said:
Most unacceptable to me is what happened with Haganai Next though. It was basically sold out on day 1. I didn't even stand a chance.
But in general, if a limited edition or collector's edition isn't capable of being around one year (and not even a pregnancy long), then not enough got printed in my opinion.
Of course they need to be out before the title goes OOP, so essentially before they decide to not do another print of standard editions.
But if a company will hold a license for 7 years, then having an edition only available for 3 or less months is just not enough in my book.

One of the reasons I mention in one of the other posts I posted today that I need to mail UP1 is because Good Luck Girl has been out since late 2013 .. I think it's about 18 months out now.
So it is nearing the point I could say "ok, it ran out because it ran out of its fair share of stock" although I feel if you have a 7 (or even 5) year license you should have your collector's edition available for easily half that time.

The thing about Funimation Limited Editions is that they are pretty hard to predict sometimes. Last year I took a safe route and added pre-orders to about 80% of the LEs that they put out (the ones I didn't bother with were Code:Breaker, Kamisama Kiss Goddess Edition, Karneval and Senran Kagura: Ninja Flash. All of which are still in print thankfully (and I then managed to pick up SK:NF last January). The only way I can know that a certain title would sell out would be the reception and the fan base. Devil is a Part Timer for example was a show I knew was really popular and since I always wanted to see the show and patiently waited 15 months since it aired to legally view it I pre-ordered it, and it sold out in a couple of days (and then got a reprint. It's still available on sites like Rightstuf). The only LEs/PEs that sold out last year for Funimation were Attack on Titan Part 2 Ender Box Edition, Haganai NEXT and High School DxD New (Psycho Pass Season 1 PE sold out this year which I thought sold out last year huh).

But pretty much the best way to guess if a set would sell out is by checking the popularity and reviews. I still have 11 special editions left to collect from Funimation; 4 from 2013, 2 from 2014 and 6 from 2015 (D-Frag I own, Darker Than Black Season 1 (the ONLY way to get Blu-ray and it's limited to 5000 copies) & Hyperdimension Neptunia are pre-ordered and I'll be skipping Soul Eater, book packaging? NO!).

Another questionable thing about Limited Editions is Aniplex. It's just random and they even reprinted a couple of their titles. Madoka Magica TV volumes (Feb 2012 to June 2012) lasted until early 2014, Durarara!! (Nov 2012) lasted until December 2014, Sword Art Online: Fairy Dance arc (Oct 2013 to Nov 2013) lasted until February 2015 and Anohana Movie (July 2014) lasted until April 2015. The others? Still in print. Bakemonogatari is now the longest surviving Aniplex Limited Edition and that was released in November 2012 - yes it even got a second print run. Anohana is the shortest surviving special edition (not counting imports by the way as we all know Garden of Sinners LE won that by an instant with pre-orders) which shocked me considering people needed to watch the series first but it looks like the price tag and show's popularity may have underestimated me, but I took the safest route and ordered it back in January. Imports don't really count given they are still available in Japan, even the Garden of Sinners (though this time as a standard edition rather than a limited edition), Madoka Magica films, Oreimo Season 1 and Persona 3 films.

Back