New acquisitions announced at the Anime Expo

I would hardly call BECK, FMP! The Second Raid, Rumbling Hearts/KGNE, Spirit of the Past, Tsubasa, Negima, xxxHolic or Tsukuyomi ~Moon Phase~ weak licenses.

Whatever you think of the Gonzo worship: Solty Rei, Glass Fleet, Black Cat or Witchblade, it doesn't rule out the fact that they are picking up some very strong titles, and they are probably the most aggressive licensor at the moment. I also suspect that Solty Rei and Witchblade will be commercially successful for them.

The way the licensing market is now, we are not going to see some of the big japanese franchises over here for quite a while, or at least until the market settles down. I would be surprised to see a big april title announced any time soon, that includes The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Nana, Ouran Host Club etc.

Only Geneon is bucking the trend by going for the more niche titles. Titles that until now could only get an audience on fansub. That makes them very unpredictable. Also nobody knows if their strategy is working. i.e. they might stop all that stuff soon.

Theres piles of unlicensable stuff atm. I don't expect a return to the heydeys of 2004. So for niche titles I don't hold much hope for them being licensed, and really wonder why other people expect very niche stuff to be licensed. Its a differnent market now.

As for ADV doing the ADR work for second raid, well I am sure they will charge FUNi accordingly.

I do think that Honey & Clover is one of the bigger unlicensed gems out there too.

Laughing Manji said:
As for ADV doing the ADR work for second raid, well I am sure they will charge FUNi accordingly.

I should hope they do as well.

Just a thought though, where is Funi getting all their money from?

Last time i heard about how expensive even one episode of a Gonzo anime is, it was in the tens of thousands if i am not mistaken.
So how have they licensed 4 new Gonzo anime's each around 24-26 eps... That would have cost millions, along with all the other titles.

Either they're taking a massive gamble and are in a lot of debt, or they are probably heading the same way ADV did with licensing too much stuff and spending too much, they will fall. I'm not sure what will happen, lets hope this time this company will do well and continue to do well and maybe even the anime industry will go onto a new 'phase'.

DaNiMé said:
Just a thought though, where is Funi getting all their money from?

Full Metal Alchemist.

I also think that Dragonball Z is still making money for them. Fruits Basket was successful enough for them to consider nagging the original producers to make a sequel (hasn't worked yet though).

DaNiMé said:
Last time i heard about how expensive even one episode of a Gonzo anime is, it was in the tens of thousands if i am not mistaken.

To license for north american release, the costs are five figure sums per episode. Its gone up a lot in the last few years.

DaNiMé said:
So how have they licensed 4 new Gonzo anime's each around 24-26 eps... That would have cost millions, along with all the other titles.

Aye and they haven't even mastered a single disc yet, or recorded a single dub.

DaNiMé said:
Either they're taking a massive gamble and are in a lot of debt, or they are probably heading the same way ADV did with licensing too much stuff and spending too much, they will fall. I'm not sure what will happen, lets hope this time this company will do well and continue to do well and maybe even the anime industry will go onto a new 'phase'.

I think FUNi didn't go nuts licensing stuff. They also went licensing the top titles, and in an overcrowded DVD market that was the best choice, as people went for the more famous titles.

Mangaminx said:
Just added:

Right Stuf License
Super Gals! Season 2

This is big scoop for TRSI. I've never seen Super Gals! but I know it has a really passionate fanbase and just yesterday ADV were talking about how they wouldn't release it (it's an otaku favourite, apparently, so the first season didn't sell in big enough numbers). Either way, well done to TRSI for pulling this out of the bag.

I'd like to see Monster get a release but I agree with Subedii. It's not that it isn't good or anything (it's bloody brilliant) but it's a very slow, mature show that runs over 75 episodes - not a very appealing proposition from a business point of view. I know Manga only licenced the first few dozen eps of Naruto but that's a bit different in that the show is still ongoing and has a much larger following. We can only hope, eh? :)

As far as Gunbuster's concerned I'm absolutely overjoyed. They can't do much worse than Kiseki did really, and the remastering software is getting better with every passing year. I was actually expecting one of the Western companies to wait until Gunbuster 2 was out in its entirety (late summer/Autumn time iirc) and swipe both at once but this is still a pleasant surprise.

There is going to be a movie made out of both the Gunbuster and Gunbuster 2 OVA's. Unfortunately it seems they are just going to be cut ups and also they won't be using the same voice talent as the original Gunbuser.

According to ANN, ADV have also secured the North American rights for Guyver: The Bioboosted Armour TV.

An ADV license for this series was always on the cards, especially since they had a hand in the series' production, but still, this little piece of news has made this humble geek's day. It's almost enough to make me forgive ADV for the atrocity that was, Samurai Gun... on second thoughts maybe not.

damn it they licenced roots too

suppose it makes sence to get most of the series out of the way before GU hits america in fall

Just added:

ADV new licences
Guyver: The Bioboosted Armour TV

Bandai new licences
.hack//ROOTS
Cutie Honey (live-action movie)
Ghost in the Shell: SAC compilation movies
Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society

Bandai Negotiating
Mai-Otome
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam movies

Gawyn said:
Paul said:
Cutie Honey (live-action movie)
That's a bit of a surprise to me :D. Brilliant cheesy fun :).
*Blinks* Wow, almost missed that one! Looks like I'll be able to see some post-Gainax Anno without having to import Japanese R2s after all (Yes, I'm considering that pricey Japanese version of Shikijitsu).

Ryo Chan said:
ffs no bandai don't get mai otome

u've allready killed off hime

May i ask how?

And when did something being licensed become a bad thing? Fansubbers still continue and at the end of the day you'll get the product on DVD...

EDIT: And from looking at the Mai-Hime release it looks very good, a nice artbox by the looks of things with extra's and generally the usual Bandai quality...

Back