Never thought I'd say this, but... recommend me something.

Espy

Thousand Master
I've been reading manga for two and a half years, so I'm no newbie. But over the past few months I've been finding it hard to discover a series worth reading, and with most of my favourite series either ending or getting released very slowly, I'm finding myself with nothing to read.

My favourite series are Beck, Genshiken and Yotsuba&. I'm also reading Ranma 1/2, Yakitate Japan, Kenshin and Buso Renkin. I have a liking, but not restriction, for series which are realistic, and deal with the everyday trials of people. Though nothing with too much emphasis on romance or shojo. Likewise, harem manga just annoys me. I haven't been reading Shonen manga much recently, and I have read a lot of the most famous series, but if you want to recommend something excellent in that category, go for it. Also, if you want to recommend me something completely different, go for it.

There's a small description of my manga likings. Now, please, make my break less boring =)

I'm not sure if you'd definitely like these, but they're male oriented manga series that I think are quite well done.

xxxHolic, it's really one of my favourites and I think it's a series that has enough intrigue to draw in many different types of people. Basic plot is that a witch owns a shop where people can basically get anything they want, but to get it, they'll have to make a trade of equivalent value. Clamp series, great and unique artwork, well translated and generally quite good IMO.

If you're wanting an action-y series, try out the Eva manga. It goes a bit further than the anime but isn't completed yet incase that puts you off.

Oh yeah, my friend gave me a loan of the first volume of xxxHolic. I may well look into reading further into it.

Anyone else?

I would easily give a few recommendations, But for you its quite hard. You should make a MAL account and put the manga you've read into there. I would recommend the romance comedy of Lovely Complex, which is pretty good. It has a 'some' realistic emotions and things in their that you might take to. Also it has a great set of characters which all add something to the story.

I'm currently reading Hunter x Hunter and I'm finding that great as well. Its serialized in Jump and its probably the most entertaining from there that I read. I'm stuck for suggestions....

I love the manga Air Gear you should give that a try or heavenly hockey club which is brilliant and perfect for the Genshiken fans

People keep recommending me shojo series... will people not doubt my masculinity? I am perfectly willing to give those series a try if this can be assured.

Espy said:
People keep recommending me shojo series... will people not doubt my masculinity? I am perfectly willing to give those series a try if this can be assured.

What does it matter? Also, I'm pretty sure no one cares about your masculinity so much as to make judgments about it based on the manga you read.

But, most shojo is rather alike, anyway, so it's probably a better idea to check out something 'different' like some of Junji Ito's work, or (better still) some of Osamu Tezuka's work!

CitizenGeek said:
Espy said:

What does it matter? Also, I'm pretty sure no one cares about your masculinity so much as to make judgments about it based on the manga you read.

But, most shojo is rather alike, anyway, so it's probably a better idea to check out something 'different' like some of Junji Ito's work, or (better still) some of Osamu Tezuka's work!

Heh, just a little joke there.

I have wanted to pick up Phoenix, but the higher price point keeps putting me off. Is it a good starting point for Tezuka? It certainly seems to be the most appealing to me.

Jayme said:
Lovely Complex & Hunter x Hunter

I second them!, Also try Reborn! or D.Gray-man which are both awesome.

I buy HunterXHunter & it really is one of the better JUMP manga's.

& Lovely complex is pretty good, I watched the 1st episode about two months ago & has been on hold until today, I'm rushing through!, Up to episode 10 now.

So like give both of them a try.

I'm trying to stay away from Shonen manga for the time being, reading it doesn't seem much fun right now. I think I need a break from it. But I will try Lovely Complex - it seems like an interesting concept.

Can anyone tell me if the manga version of Mushi-Shi is worth reading if you're already watching the anime?

Espy said:
I have wanted to pick up Phoenix, but the higher price point keeps putting me off. Is it a good starting point for Tezuka? It certainly seems to be the most appealing to me.

I haven't read Phoenix for the very reason you've just stated :p

I would suggest you start with Ode to Kirihito, MW or Apollo's Song - each of those is only one volume long, and they each cost about a tenner. Well worth it, too!

Espy said:
Can anyone tell me if the manga version of Mushi-Shi is worth reading if you're already watching the anime?

I love this as it is probably one of the most unique manga or anime that has been released for ages. Get it I started with the manga unfortunately there are only two volume released at the moment. I am desperate for the next volume why can't they release them at the same speed as the anime :cry:. Volume 5 of the anime is released in the US in a couple of weeks but volume 3 of the manga is not out till the end of the month.

NANA: a beautiful short series, very realistic

Paradise Kiss: made by the same person, also very good - about fashion and love and all that bollocks

Both are short - around 6 books long.

Back