Netflix Reveals New Details on Eden, Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045, Levius, Saiki K. and More for 2020

What's with all the CGI. The GITS preview is awful, how anyone think this is a better option than traditional animation is beyond me. Judging the Twitter comments it's gone down like a lead balloon.

I think the technology is there. Appleseed Alpha and Final Fantasy Kingsglaive prove you can make stunning films with 3D CGI that would have worked for the traditional GITS aesthetic. Budget probably played a part as would artistic vision.

I don’t get it what’s wrong with... oh god... oh no.. oh no no no... Motoko’s T- posing, she’s gliding off the side of the screen with no clip detection... everything’s glitching out of existence and the cheat for god mode has come up on screen. Why am I holding a PS2 controller? I haven’t seen one in years...

I mean I wouldn’t say anything if it looked more like the promo image we got, like that it doesn’t look as good as ultra man, ultra man was a bit of a gamble wether the CG left it watchable or not

At the end of the day what something looks like is irrelevant.
While that's true, if it looks really bad it can annoy you to the point that you're no longer thinking about the story and the character's aesthetic becomes more prominent than their personality.

Is it bad that I think that game looks better than whatever that abomination is that Netflix got? Also why is I.G. trying to kill GiTS? I could put up with Arise, as it was at least enjoyable but this thing looks even painful to watch.

At least arise bared some resemblance to the original. I'd rather we get nothing and they left the franchise alone. If they can't be bothered to animate if properly then just don't bother

This backlash all feels a bit over the top. I mean, Oshii's (traditionally animated) GitS was pretty different to Shirow's manga. SAC (digitally animated) was pretty different to both. Then there's the live action movie (which I have no interest in, but I can just ignore). Certainly to judge the animation to be bad from only a few seconds of footage seems very premature. I mean if you don't like 3D animation, fine. That's a valid stance to take. But not personally liking the aesthetic of something doesn't make it bad, cheap or poorly made, which at this early stage just seem to be excuses to hate on it.

Personally, I think a lot of the charm of 2D animation died when it stopped being actual paint on sheets of acetate, but it hasn't stopped me enjoying digital animation. Similarly, I know there's a lot of people who prefer digital ink and paint. 3D is just another form of animation - It can be done well or it can be done poorly, it can be cheap or it can be expensive (if someone really wanted to animate on the cheap, they'd use Flash or Toon Boom). And all this criticism is entirely disregarding the writing and story, of which we've seen nothing. I'm not saying it will definitely be good, but I think it's far too early to say it will definitely be bad.

If this was GiTS X yeah I could accept it as new different but its positioning itself as SAC so it looks miles away from the film the last SAC material so Im gonna watch all of SAC and have whiplash when it comes to this new one.

Back