Neon Genesis Evangelion

pazza

Brigade Leader
I've heard good things about this series, especially on here, but I need some assistance as to the various offerings available.
Using Amazon as a reference, there appears to be DVD's of #1 to #8 available. Then there are "platinum" versions of each of these. Searching, it would appear that the platinum versions are remastered copies of the originals. Something about original series suffering due to lack of funding, so the artwork is improved. Is this correct?

Then, as I prefer boxsets (R2) to individual purchases, I see that there is a "Perfect collection". Now is this a collection of the platinum versions or the original? I bet it's not the platinum....

I also assume the 2 films are based after the series?

Thanks in advance...

The platinum versions of the series have cleaned up video and a 5.1 audio mix in both english and japanese. The older version apprently isn't much better quality than VHS quality.

As far as I know at the moment the UK doesn't have a Platinum boxset available or even in the works. There is however a Region 1 thinpack out in the US which is around £40 and contains the entire platinum collection. Remember you don't always need a multi region DVD player to play region 1 DVD's as most players can easily be unlocked to region free.

And yes. The movies shpuld be watched after the series and not instead of. Death and Rebirth is a compilation movie of the series with the second half of the movie being the first half of End of Evangelion. End of Evangelion is the latter half of Death and Rebirth and also contains another half of all new footage. End Of Eva is a alternate ending to the series, I like to think of it as an extended ending though.

Hope that helps.

I know the Platinum edition of Neon Genesis Evangelion have been confirmed to have a boxset release, around the end of the year apparently.

Seeing as I already got the orginal editions I'll wait for the Region 2 Platinum boxset (just to support the UK and all that). :)

Yeah I'm waiting for the R2 Platinum boxset at the moment, hoping for a pre-christmas release so I can get my girlfiend to buy it for me

Hmmm..good idea...except asking my wife for it is actually the same as me buying it considering we have a joint bank account...damn!

Shame it won't be out for my birthday (end of Sept)...I'll have to ask for something else instead! 8)

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Ask for the Stand Alone Complex boxset.

What GITS 1st Gig SAC boxset? Yep, that's already on the list..at the decent price amazon are selling this, maybe I can add some more! heh, heh

pazza said:
Hmmm..good idea...except asking my wife for it is actually the same as me buying it considering we have a joint bank account...damn!

Shame it won't be out for my birthday (end of Sept)...I'll have to ask for something else instead! 8)

Joint bank account...... now thats a sin in itself

now, now...it's all about trust and equal partnership...even if i do earn 5x as much! It can be quite painful though when I return home from work to discover that she has been shopping....
Still, I more than make up for it with various DVD purchases :wink:

mcicy said:
pazza said:

Joint bank account...... now thats a sin in itself

Off-topic but that BT advert makes me laugh. You know the one?

Where the guys says "Online banking? That's a bit risky for you?"

And she replies "Just setting up our joint account."

I know its only an advert but I got the impression that that relationship - if it was real - would be on a one way road to disaster. Why? Because the bloke seemed completely surprised by what she was doing, indicating to me that they hadn't sitten down and discussed it.

If that partnership was real I bet my fingernails it'd fail at the first hurdle! :D

But back on topic, the G.I.T.S: S.A.C 1st Gig Boxset would be a great present. :)

WTFDaveMustaine said:
There is however a Region 1 thinpack out in the US which is around £40 and contains the entire platinum collection. Remember you don't always need a multi region DVD player to play region 1 DVD's as most players can easily be unlocked to region free
I got that set from Amazon, and it's good, but just beware if you order it, as i got slapped with a £10 import tax -- still worth it though...

cornixt said:
I managed to get away without the import tax, which was a nice surprise since I was expecting it.
Aarrrgh, AND, as i've ust discovered today, that the commentaries and documentaries aren't on this version! boo lame guff crud

veela_chan said:
Aarrrgh, AND, as i've ust discovered today, that the commentaries and documentaries aren't on this version! boo lame guff crud
As long as the series is on there it's no big loss. If it contained extras on the making of the original Japanese version then I might feel differently.

Back