Neon Genesis Evangelion?

I used to watch it on Sci-Fi channel, and i really enjoyed it (Apart from the fanservice). I missed the last 5 or so episodes and just caught the final one, so i got the movie EoE and was like "Woah." I thought it was awesome!

i really liked the series and the 2 movies as confusing as it was, the eva's rocked and the story line was great but i am yet to read the manga. what was the fanservice thibng all about anyway? i watched the box set and it was like "and theyre will be more fan service too" i was always like "huh???" lool :lol:

I once described NGE (eva) as a 15 course Japanese meal, with each course ranging from the food of gods, to dire tripe that even dogs wouldn't touch, depending on your taste. There in lies probably the greatest problem, while it isn't really a lack of concisancy there seems to be lacking a certain something to bind it together. There are 4 semi distinct phases of the series and each has its highlights and low points. The 1st phase is Shinji's arrival and his... adjustment period. Its very physcological, deep and an in depth look at shinji and his troubled mind. The second Phase starts with the arrival of Asuka and is a much lighter phase, also it is when a lot of the sub plots start. The Third phase strats with the arrival of the Unit 03, and is when the midden hits the windmill (like the **** hitting the fan but on a bigger scale) and things get dark... REALLY dark. No one is a happy bunny and things get a little wierd (freaky weird, not funny weird). Tears down a lot of what has gone before. The final Phase is those legendary last two episodes (or two movies) the series ending is ... no point trying to describe them, they are wierd (WTF!!! weird, with the three excalmation marks). While the movies are more mainstream they still are weird (WTF!, note only one excalmation mark).
The series is worth watching, but i would strongly suggest trying it all before buying, as it does change as you go along and you may not like what it changes into.
Would suggest watching Raxephon before Eva, but mainly as i would like to see what you think the two after watching them in the reverse order than they were created. Since most people watched Rahxephon second they think it is a rip off of Eva.

Firstly i want to put down the EVA has got to be watched once in ur lifetime. EVA , at it's time remember is a anime show which has did a 360 turn on the whole anime industry .Since that time, EVA had to content with many anime shows which were dominanted by classic Gundam action shows and EVA had to put the twist on big robot show which not only led to inspired other anime shows today on how symbolisim,character development and other methods to make the audience think whats going to happen next. It also gave Gainax a name for itself for all out original endings for which they always do in their projects, hell they even Gain-axed Maromatic's second season (cries).Back on track, those 2 eps in my view were pure brilliance on which Gainax really dug their nails in, since as always they seem to lose a lot of budget for their shows (His and Her circumstance anyone?). Anyways, my point being this show deserves to be watched ,even though nowaday shows take ideas from EVA such as Rei's personality on which i noticed through many anime shows (I watch a lot) is contantly being used . Hell, EVA may seem overatted now but without it you couldn't get shows such as Rahxephon, and Eureka 7. Peace! I'm off to watch EVA for the third time ^^

NGE rock!
The only thing that annoyed me was you needed a degree in psychology to figure out all these theories being told to Shinji... Especially the last few eps....

Dont read spoiler if not seen End of Evangelion...
Oh and if you were either Shinji or Auska, and you were in EOE... Would you try to kill eachother at the end? Even though you're the new Adam and Eve (last hope) for humanity's survival?

Last edited by a moderator:
cell21 said:
Gain-axed
lol I'm making a note of that one! It's certainly made the Anime Crap Ending something that's fashionable: whether other shows have made amibguous endings to look clever or for a good reason, that's open to debate and depends on the showe in question.

NGE definitely placed a lot more emphasis on character development and suchlike - just look at BGCT 2040and RahXephon. They are good in their own right but I get a feeling that anime creators after 1995 have made more of an effort to include in-depth character stuff. It's just an idea of course: the whole 'mecha battles but an interesting story' that NGE has made famous, Macross/Robotech did the same thing years earlier! Maybe it's just my sleep-depived mind, but make of that what you will. ;)

Back