Neon Genesis Evangelion

Feather

Brigade Leader
I got the full series of NGE and I recently was lucky enough to find a copy of the End of Evangelion in cex. Before I watch it, do I need to have watched NGE Death and Rebirth? I mean I keep reading on the net that Death and Rebirth is the first part of the End of Evangelion, so do I need to watch that first?

Death is a recap of the series, so watch that first if you haven't seen the series.
Rebirth is the first part of EoE so there's no point watching it.

The order to watch it in is the original series and then the two DVDs which provide an alternate ending for those who were butthurt. As Shiroi pointed out, one of the two alternative ending DVDs is just a recap so you may want to pass up on it depending on how fresh the events from the series are in your mind at the time.

Watch Episodes 1-20. Then 21'-24'.

Now. Disregard Death and Rebirth entirely.

Next. For the finale. Some, like this guide (http://i.imgur.com/n4Jol.jpg) would suggest watching EoE before 25 and 26. I didn't.

Basically, End of Evangelion is the ending to the whole story (or first part, if Rebuild turns out to be a sequel), while 25 and 26 is something different.

I don't wanna spoil it for you, because personally I think 25 and 26 are great, so I'll just say: Don't expect the last 2 episodes to be the ending. End of Eva is the ending.

Episodes 25 and 26 make literally no sense in my opinion, it's a good way to end the series, but if you want some elaboration it's best to watch EoE afterwards.

Ahh, Evangelion. The classic flame-bait series.
Death is a recap of the first 24 episodes, Rebirth is the first 45 minutes of End of Evangelion. EoE takes place concurrently to the last 2 episodes of the series.

You can watch EoE or the final 2 episodes in either order, but I'd recommend just watching the series then End of... It's a slightly less annoying ending.

Yea I was a little annoyed by the Death portion of Death and rebirth. It basically just showed me what I spent the previous 8 months of my EMA money on in a more compact version, which made it seem like almost a waste. I wasn't big on Evangelion anyway, I'm not usually so close minded as to deem a series crap for not getting it and choose to commend the parts of it I did get...Not in this case, it just made no sense to me at all that ending, I was left scratching my head. Shinji wanking over Asuka in a hospital bed was the clencher there. :p

I personally watched the entire series first (original aired episodes not director's cut) then watched End of Evangelion, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I love Episode 25 and 26 with 25 possibly being my favourite of the series. Those episodes to me were what I always thought Eva was about when people spoke of it (psychological, depressing etc.) and that type of stuff really appeals to me.

EoE is absolutely brilliant too and I think acts as the perfect finale to the after the series even if it isn't the end. 25 and 26 definetly take place inside the psyche of Shinji after everything that happened in EoE. That's another thing I like about watchign them in the order I did, everyone dies in the series and you don't get to see it leaving you really wanting to know what happened in between so EoE acts as a lovely big flashback to all that that ties in everything beautifully

Last edited by a moderator:
Death was useful to me at the time since I hadn't seen the series - Death, Rebirth and EoE were the first time Eva got released on DVD in the UK and I wasn't fussed about buying a shelf full of expensive VHS tapes.
I imagine the purpose was the same when it was done theatrically, so they could get people watching EoE who hadn't caught the TV series.

Lawrence said:
Oh, and if you consider starting Rebuild of Evangelion after, you can pretty much skip over the first movie, since it's essentially just the first six episodes, reanimated. Not that you actually should, unless you have limited time to watch anime.
On one hand you "can", on a more important hand - as you rightly point out - you shouldn't, since the first movie is really good. And on the other hand:

Paradox295 said:
(or first part, if Rebuild turns out to be a sequel)
You really shouldn't skip it depending on your level of being engulfed in story speculation once you have watched the show.

Back