Neo Yokio, a new Western/Japanese produced anime series is coming to Netflix

N

NormanicGrav

First we had Marvel, then Cannon Busters, and now another collaboration between Japanese & Western folks on a new anime project!

A surprise unveil from Netflix brings us a new anime series heading exclusively to the service on September 22nd. Called Neo Yokio, it’s a 6-episode series with an all-star English cast created by Vampire Weekend musician Ezra Koenig. This series is handled similarly to Cannon Busters, where we have a mix of Western and Japanese staff involved with the production.

Nick Weidenfeld will be serving as the writer and executive producer while Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn) and Junji Nishimura (Ranma ½) will be serving as the storyboard artists. Japanese studios Production I.G and Studio DEEN will both be part of the animation production alongside South Korean studio MOI.

Neo-Yokio.jpg

The English all-star cast introduces Jaden Smith as the main character Kaz Kaan, and a number of other people also providing voice-work throughout the series including Kiernan Shipka (When Marnie Was There), Steve Buscemi (Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within), Susan Sarandon (live-action Speed Racer), Jude Law, Richard Ayoade, Stephen Fry, Tavi Gevinson, Jason Schwartzman, Desus & Mero, Ike Barinholtz, Alexa Chung, Katy Mixon, Annet Mahendru, Willow Smith, and Amanda Stenberg.

Welcome to Neo Yokio, the greatest city in the world. It’s the most populous urban agglomeration in North America, but its prestige does not merely stem from its size. Neo Yokio is a diverse labyrinth of cultural and architectural innovation at the forefront of global fashion and finance.

All of this is cold comfort to the lovesick Kaz Kaan (Jaden Smith), the youngest member of a family of “magistocrats” – pink-haired demon slayers who once liberated the city. Today, his demon-slaying is barely more than a side-hustle coordinated by his Aunt Agatha (Susan Sarandon) – Kaz himself would rather concern himself with shopping, field hockey and – of course – mending his broken heart.

Always by Kaz’s side are his faithful mecha-butler, Charles (Jude Law), and his inseparable friends Lexy and Gottlieb (The Kid Mero and Desus Nice) as he navigates the complexities of life in Neo Yokio and tries to stay one step ahead of his arch-rival, Neo Yokio’s number one most eligible bachelor, Arcangelo Corelli (Jason Schwartzman.)

Things take a mysterious turn when Kaz is drawn into the turbulent world of ex-fashion blogger Helena St. Tessero (Tavi Gevinson), setting in motion a sequence of events that force him to question everything he knows about Neo Yokio.

You can visit the Netflix page here.

Continue reading...

While I'm not personally interested, this is a far better use of Netflix's clout that betters the industry, as opposed to encouraging piracy by swiping exclusive rights to things they're only going to sit on.

The English cast is certainly attention-grabbing.

R

The English cast is certainly attention-grabbing.

It really is... well, apart from Jaden Smith being the lead, but there are a lot of people I never would have thought I'd see attached to an anime project in the one show. I mean, Stephen Fry?!

When I read all-star cast followed by Jaden Smith, I literally laughed out loud. After watching the trailer, I honestly don't know who this will appeal to and quite frankly I can't see it doing all too well. The animation is even below what I was expecting and my hopes weren't exactly high to begin with... I thought it was going to be aimed at a younger audience but during the trailer and maybe I'm miss hearing here, but I thought I heard the words "f*ck boys" and "b*tch" thrown in there. Maybe I'm being a little harsh and for all I know, it might garner a lot of attention but I just can't see it happening.

Back