NEO: Issue 18 out soon

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
April's [Issue 18] edition of NEO (UK Asian pop-culture magazine) will be hitting UK shop shelves over the next few days.

This month the magazine presents the first part of Jonathan Clements "History of Manga" article as well as an interview with the main man behind Chase Animation; a company described as the UK's first "anime studio".

A few things about this issue- for the first time ever (or at least to my knowledge); an Anime UK News review has been quoted on an advert inside NEO (for Chobits)- yay! :)

And so, following on from the currently raging thread "A style or a place of origin? Your definition of manga", we now have a UK-based company claiming to be creating anime; a description of one of their projects ("Ghost House") goes so far as it describe itself as "original anime horror films".

Is this anime or a cheap trick to pull in unsuspecting punters? For me- it isn't anime, clearly it is anime influenced- but it isn't authentic anime because frankly, it doesn't come from Japan. What does everyone else think?

A few things about this issue- for the first time ever (or at least to my knowledge); an Anime UK News review has been quoted on an advert inside NEO (for Chobits)- yay!

Wow congrats :D

Is this anime or a cheap trick to pull in unsuspecting punters? For me- it isn't anime, clearly it is anime influenced- but it isn't authentic anime because frankly, it doesn't come from Japan. What does everyone else think?

Totally agree, thats like saying Teen Titans is anime, what an outrageous claim!

Paul said:
It is basically a gimmick. Anime is just the latest buzz word in the animation business, much like 3g is for phones and people are beginning to use it to sell themselves without really knowing, understanding or caring what it actually means. Anime (and manga for that matter) is defined by its origins and in the west, indicates a specific subset of animation that originates in Japan. Anime, simply put, is not a style since nothing could adequately describe all of anime in all of its forms.

Paul said:
And so, following on from the currently raging thread "A style or a place of origin? Your definition of manga", we now have a UK-based company claiming to be creating anime; a description of one of their projects ("Ghost House") goes so far as it describe itself as "original anime horror films".

I guess I'll just refer to my personal contributions to the raging, i.e. they should let the material speak for itself instead of pinning a popular label onto it. If it's as good as I hope it is, it shouldn't need to be (wrongly) called 'anime'.

On a less controversial note, I'll be looking forward to seeing this place being given another bit of publicity. Er, go us! :)

the bigger question in what is anime is korea as alot of anime is actually animated in korea when is it korean animation or japanese anime.

I've had no luck picking this up in any shop in Cambridge! I don't suppose anyone on here lives in the area and knows of a shop that sells it? That'd be great, cheers

Paul said:

well my point is this, i apologise in advace if this is a little farfetched but play along with it for a minute.. what if an anime/manga artist was to move from japan and take up residency here and become a british citzen. if that person was to then start creating anime/manga again. does that not count as they are not producing it in japan?

i agree with you Paul, as for me i only see anime/manga as something that comes out of japan. i guess the question was for arguements sake. but wanted to throw it out there to see your view

I agree with Gawyn, anime's a growing buzz word as its becoming more popular (I've recently noticed, with a lot of pride, that in high street shops some anime has crept out of the dark corners where it was usually hidden away in)

It's no surprise some people are gonna jump on the bandwagon and make false claims like that, which is a shame cos if this fake anime's no good, it's going to ruin the good name of the real McCoy.

Although I think 3nvy's hit the nail on the head, which is why I think defining exactly what makes anime anime is so difficult...

Oh, and major congrats on the quote!!! And RichB06: I usually find that I have to dig about in WHSmiths for a bit to find the lone copy, but it's well worth looking out for!

I've never bought a copy of NEO magazine ever. =/

But I might start soon, once I finish collecting a few other things. =D

Oh wait... how much is it I might just buy one next time I see one.

RichB06 said:
I've had no luck picking this up in any shop in Cambridge! I don't suppose anyone on here lives in the area and knows of a shop that sells it? That'd be great, cheers

The lastest issue is sold in Borders, at least. Though I did buy a few on Thursday cos of my interview in it XD There should be a good amount left though!

It's on the ground floor, and is in the magazine rack to the left of all the manga. NEO is on one of the lower shelves of the Magazine rack.

Yeah, they told me they had sold out of last months' issue - I wanted to get a few extra copies of that one too XD Sigh, back orders here I come...

It's probably the best issue so far in terms of the amount it offers. Some nice reviews too.

Is it just me, or does it feel like the anime/manga industry has exploded over the past few months? When I look back at the type of news Neo was reporting a few issues ago it was mostly focused on foreign affairs, now most of it is rooted here in the UK with events etc. It's... nice...

Funnily enough, while I’ve writing this my Mum has popped a package containing My Neighbour Totoro down beside me, so I'm happy now. And tonight I’ll be seeing if I agree with the four stars Lesley Smith gave “Miyazaki at his bestâ€

I think the writers of Neo are testing the magazine readers. The test is to come up with the worst possible cover and see if people will still buy the magazine, because so far they’ve done about six good covers, the latest looking like the front cover of some teen-girl magazine. I used to read Neo on the train into college but I’m damned if I’m going to do it now. But they know people will buy it either way because it's a cool magazine.
So Neo if your reading this, we get the message you can stop with the steaming pile of crap covers up keep coming up with and you can get back to the cool ones, like for example the first few issues and the Halloween special. I know you’re doing it deliberately because you can’t come out with such a great magazine while at the same time have such bad cover ideas, it’s just too disproportionate.

Back