Need help choosing an anime to watch...

Whats Miyu about?
Been meaning to watch it, but never had the chance, and I have no idea what it's like.

I hear the art is somewhat similar to Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito?
Which is not a good starter, if you don't have a very open mind, and are not to botherd about storys skiping from one chapter, to the next, then back.
I guess its also complicated if you have never played the game....

chaos said:
I have a tendency to agree with hopeful monster on Azumanga, Yugo, then with a few ghibli recommended earlier like Princess Mononoke (it's the best ghibli ever, really).
Oh my goddess is prety funny, with no nudity (as far as I remember). the adventures of the mini goddesses laways bring a smile to my face. any other series, depends very much on what she likes.

Monster is a good series and maybe Uzumaki or vampire princess miyu if she likes horror... I think hellsing or elfen lied is a bit too gory for her yet...

I dont like the look of Ghibli :( It all looks kinda lame to me.

I may try Azumanga then, whats it all about like??

Gore isnt a problem with her, trust me.

Spyro201 said:

Azumanga is about the day to day lives of a class of schoolgirls.

No super powers. No Mecha. No gunfights.

I know, I know, it might sound boring when put that way, but it really is a fantastic series.

Tasker said:
Spyro201 said:

I know, I know, it might sound boring when put that way, but it really is a fantastic series.

I like the sound of that. I really wanna get Genshiken, is it released on DVD??

Spyro201 said:
Tasker said:
Spyro201 said:

In america yes it is

BlackWolf said:
Spyro201 said:
Tasker said:
Spyro201 said:

In america yes it is

I may try something like that with her. May be worth a shot, its pretty laid back from what ive read of the manga, and anything she doesnt get I can explain. We'll see, I guess.

All the same I want the Genshiken Anime. :lol:

Lots of people recomendin Cowboy Bebop, i personally think that Watanabes (director) better series was Samurai Champloo I think it has a better ending then Bebop cause it doesnt leave as many questions and you dont morn the loss of the main characters.Where as when Bebop ended you didnt have a clue were the characters were goin, and i thourght spike was dead but then Watanabe says he doesnt ever know if his dead or alive!!!!!!!! The only bad thing with Champloo is that there are alot of 2 part eps but i can highly recomend it!!!!!!

But if you do want something light hearted then i would go for Azumanga Daioh ive watched it 3 times and i still find it funny! :lol:

And i can understand were your GF comming from if you dont know alot about anime you might think its all 'erotic'. when i first started watchin anime when i was 14(16 now) i was very fussy what i watched cause i new my parents would ask about it, they wernt even sure about me watchin ranma!! But must anime realesed these days is ok censersip wise but i think alot of the stuff released in the 80s (bit of the 90s) was alot more erotic. Good Luck pickin somethin :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sammy said:
.. But must anime realesed these days is ok censersip wise but i think alot of the stuff released in the 80s (bit of the 90s) was alot more erotic. Good Luck pickin somethin :D
violence and sex were sellers. funilly enough, I can't remember a single title from the 80's early 90's that did not have loads of violence or sex....

Sammy said:
And i can understand were your GF comming from if you dont know alot about anime you might think its all 'erotic'. when i first started watchin anime when i was 14(16 now) i was very fussy what i watched cause i new my parents would ask about it, they wernt even sure about me watchin ranma!! But must anime realesed these days is ok censersip wise but i think alot of the stuff released in the 80s (bit of the 90s) was alot more erotic. Good Luck pickin somethin :D

Haha. Yeah im careful enough. My parents pick odd times to walk in, like in Haruhi with the bunny costumes....

And thank you. I think il try Azumanga :)

Anyone got links to the best prices??

Sammy said:
Lots of people recomendin Cowboy Bebop, i personally think that Watanabes (director) better series was Samurai Champloo I think it has a better ending then Bebop cause it doesnt leave as many questions and you dont morn the loss of the main characters.Where as when Bebop ended you didnt have a clue were the characters were goin, and i thourght spike was dead but then Watanabe says he doesnt ever know if his dead or alive!!!!!!!! The only bad thing with Champloo is that there are alot of 2 part eps but i can highly recomend it!!!!!!

I'd debate it's a better series, although it does have some fantastic episodes (like the one with the blind musician which was just mind-blowingly well done), and some rather good humour going on there. I think the difference between the two has really got to be whether or not you want sci fi and jazz, or samurai and hip-hop (and believe me, the hip-hop REALLY put me off that show until I learned how to tune it out).

As for your Bebop spoiler.. I always interpreted it as Spike living and the music suggesting he was now free of Vicious, but hey, that's just me, I like being contraversial

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that both bebop and champloo have their merits, and in the end is a matter of liking more sci fi or samurai stuff as MrChom pointed out.
The whole idea of combining hip hop with samurai and sci fi with jazz seems to me to be like choosing the thing that would feel most awkward.

Back