Need a new manga

hopeful_monster

Thousand Master
I need a new manga to read, but don't want to just blindly pick up another title as the last three i have have pretty much sapped my will to live (along with the cold i'm coming down with). While I don't mind the character going through hardships, killing off ever other character bar the lead and leading them alone in a desolate world is just taking the piss. I want something that while mature isn't depressingly bleak. I don't want to have to emotionally distance myself from characters cause i can guess they are going to go through the emotional/ physical/spiritual mangle in the foreseeable future.
It would also be nice to lack the Last minute hook up, something else that has been pissing me off recently.

Well if your willing to go for something in the complete opposite direction you could try the Aqua/Aria series. Very calm, slice of life series. Nothing bad ever happens on Aqua!
Or similarly you could try a comedy series like Yotsuba&!
Just suggestions if you want something less bleak.

Hmmm....
I would say Deathnote,as it has an excellent plotline and ending to it,as well as some suprising twists and turns.Other than that,I hear the planetes manga is pretty good!Its kind of slice of life with action, drama and scifi and if the anime is anything to go by it should be good!^_^

If you haven't read one piece, read that.

It's everything you'll need.. I admit the story sounds quite crap, but when you actually read it - It's awesome!

Chrono Crusade would be a good choice - Your description of what you want matches up with CC perfectly. It's a light-hearted (to a point) story about nuns killing demons with guns in the 1920's, with lots of big breasted ladies and jokes. It does get more serious as it goes on, and the theme of time running out as the heroine uses her very soul/life to power her demonic partner as they battle demons and hunt for her kidnapped brother is depressing, but it blends the comedy with the serious business most excellently.

I've read the first 3 volumes (of 8) so far and I'm loving it. It follows the anime story up to some point in vol. 5-6 and then diverges (the anime had a Romeo and Juliet...or in other words, a ******* depressing ending) completely. I'm looking forward to seeing the real end and hoping the final fight lasts slightly longer.

I think you ought to check out some Osamu Tezuka stuff. He really was an absolute genius and he has a massive body of work, so much so that he's pretty much covered every major genre (and many minor ones, too). I suggest Appollo's Song or Ode to Kirihito to get started. Both are beautifully packaged by Vertical Inc. and are all single volumes (Apollo's Song has 500+ pages, while Ode to Kirihito is huge at 700+ pages). If you like what you read, then you might start collecting Astro Boy, Black Jack or Buddha. Dororo is ace, too, and it's only 3 volumes long (with the final volume out this week).

Thanx for the suggestions . Already read most of Tezuka's stuff (except MW), and alot of the comedy series, but not a fan of shounen stuff. While I like the serious/ mature stuff, just want to know I won't want to slit my wrists by then end of the series. Kinda why I avoided Chrono Cusade after the downer ending of the anime.

Well, in that case, I reccomend MW very highly. It's incredibly imaginative (in a very dark way) and occasionally thought provoking (though it's usually just shocking). It's also very entertaining. So, yeah, check that out :]

Have you read The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service yet? It's made of pure WIN, just picked up volume 7 and can't wait to read it. What about something totally action wacky like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure :D or Gon, Masashi Tanaka's Gon is absolutely wonderful, doesn't really have a plot and has no dialogue, but it's so descriptive who needs any, the cover may look like it's for children, but you'd be missing out big time, great drawings and a total chuckle, perfect palate cleaner for wrist slitting manga. It has 7 volumes and CMX is rereleasing it, volume 6 is out in october.

I second The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service.

Mushishi nice calm mature folk lore type tales.

MPD Psycho a more mature and at times quite graphic mystery series.

Back