Nausicaä

Colin

Kiznaiver
I felt someone should rectify the near criminal lack of a Nausicaä thread on these forums, and it doesn't look like anyone else is going to bother.

I normally steer clear of more serious titles, preferring something a little more light-hearted, but Nausicaä is good enough for me not to care. The world is fantastic, the plot is amazing, and the characters are brilliant (even the non-human ones).

It's truly excellent science fiction. The film was great; the manga is better.

dammit, you beat me to it! ;)

my DVD arrived last week and i've been utterly mesmerised by it ever since (e.g. my avatar!). it's probably inevitable that it gets compared with Mononoke because they are similar in many ways, but it's very different in others.

i agree with you on the anime/manga thing as well - in order to make a coherant screenplay from a manga that was incomplete at the time, Miyazaki had to simplify or leave out a lot of things such as the complexities of the politics and some other aspects to the background story. the manga ending is also supposed to have an ending that is a little less rushed.

overall, a superb story. :D

it's distributed by viz, which makes it hard to find in this country. i ordered volumes 2 and 3 (i already have 1 and 4) three months ago and they still haven't arrived! :( i think travelling man's suppliers need to get their act together.

but at around £6.50 for each book, it's good value for money. if, as kupoartist pointed out, you can get the money in the first place.

Hi

Apologies here, I've only seen the movie. I recently got the US DVD and was delighted (the UK subs of Miyazaki stuff suck). Before that I had an old edited video which called it "Warriors Of The Wind". I kinda miss her not being called Princess Zandra in the old-version dub, but it was edited to bits.

Anyway, this was my first ever anime movie and it will always have a place in my heart. I share the same B-day as Hayao Miyazaki (5th Jan.) and I'm proud of that.

i've never seen Warriors of the Wind and from what i've heard nor so i want to. buying the US version was definitely a good idea hough - i definitely don't regret it. it's not his best but somehow i have a strange affection for it.

the second and third volumes of the manga STILL haven't arrived after four whole months. i might just get them from Amazon or drop into Travelling Man's Manchester branch next time i'm in the area.

Back