Naruto manga wins Quill Award

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<p>Volume 7 ("Curse of Orochimaru") of the popular Naruto manga has won the 2006 Quill Award for Best Graphic Novel. It has been widely reported that this is first time any manga has picked up the award - though the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quill_Awards">Quills</a> (which are described as "consumer-driven", so essentially based on sales figures and fan opinion) have only been running since 2005 anyway.</p>

*twitch*

EDITED: The large fanbase of the manga/anime really baffles me. I just don't understand why it actually has such a wide appeal. It's kind of frustraiting in a way that a lot more well written manga series don't get the recognition they deserve while something as standard as Naruto flies to the top.

But I guess those series that don't get as much notice do feel a little more personal.

A great achievement for Naruto; although there are undoubtedly better graphic novels out there, very few are so accessable across all ages.

I don't wish to derail this topic but please tell me you people don't consider One Piece superior to Naruto.

There are indeed better written mangas out there, but Naruto is still great. To put it differently... epic movies like Schindler's List are obviously extremely well written, but I personally find Star Wars more enjoyable (obviously far inferior in writing.)

edit: Oh yeah, forgot to congratulate Naruto. It truly deserves this in my opinion, and I'm glad it won.

Bloodloss said:
I don't wish to derail this topic but please tell me you people don't consider One Piece superior to Naruto.

Why, yes, yes I do. If you want to know why don't make a topic, just discuss in PM. >_>

And I'm suprised that Hellsing was in there and didn't win. Naruto really has taken America by storm.

As far as goes, for the Shonen Jump titles, Bleach ranks highest for me followed by Death Note, One Piece and Naruto in that order. Yu Gi Oh and Dragonball have never appealed to me much so neither of those figure at all for me and I haven't read any of the other SJ titles. All-in-all it is a matter of opinion.

Still, it is good for manga that it is placed at the top but I do think there are far stronger titles out there.

Back