Naruto 2008 Box Set, Volumes 1-27 (Review)

Aion

Time-Traveller
First of all, allow me to apologize for the amateurish review. I'm not a reviewer or writer but, from time to time, I get the urge to go on a typing rampage and create a wall of text. I created it for Amazon and, since this is an anime/manga board where reviews are posted, I thought I'd share. :)

--------------

Naruto's a name that brings lots of memories to the front of my mind. Many years ago, when I was 14-15 and hadn't watched anime for very long, I was told about this hugely popular title. Being new to anime at the time, discovering I had 60-80 episodes to watch before I'd catch up wasn't a worry; discovering Naruto's a lengthy story actually made me even more eager to catch up. I caught up within a week, finding myself addicted to it, the weekly episodes working as a sort of drug that kept me going until the next episode aired.

...But, sadly, nothing in life lasts forever. The Naruto anime eventually ended up becoming a joke after the first 135 episodes due to the anime evil known as 'filler'; original stories the animation studio come up with when they run out of manga material to animate. Older Naruto anime fans had to endure nearly two years of soul destroying stories, involving cooking ninja, postmen ninja and a Tony the Tiger lookalike. And, when the anime finally started to follow the real plot again, a combination of budget cuts and laziness meant it just wasn't enjoyable to watch any more.

After enduring so much, I decided that reading black and white pages to finish the story would be far more enjoyable than continuing to watch the anime adaptation. From that point onwards I've followed the manga instead of the anime weekly, starting from the point where the proper anime story restarted after the two year filler hell. I didn't read the first 250 or so chapters that came before because I already knew the story and reading all those pages would've taken a long, long time.

4e6ac0a398a0446684b0c11ci5.jpg
43ebc0a398a0446684b0c11uw6.jpg

Now, as a Naruto fan, I'm sure you can imagine my joy a few weeks ago when I discovered a new Naruto Vol. 1-27 box set was just around the corner, it containing all the chapters I hadn't read. After being impressed with the box art images, I was fast to order when I saw that another store (who will remain nameless so my review doesn't get deleted) were selling it for £60; £2.23 per volume AND with a box to hold all 27 volumes - A bargain if there ever was one for an American import.

When it arrived a few days after ordering my initial reaction wasn't pure joy. The box my set was packaged in (which had been used for both the journey from America and to me) had some damage to a corner and, sure enough, one of the corners of the set inside had taken a nasty knock. My anger was cooled by the nameless store offering me a £18 refund on the day the set arrived, which I was quick to accept when the damage wasn't THAT bad and the volumes inside hadn't been damaged. I suppose it's hard not for such a heavy set to get damaged in some way when it travels such a long way...

Forgetting about the damage, the box looks fantastic. On the front is a large image of Naruto (green background), on the right side is an odd(ish) looking image of Sasuke (orange background), on the left is a cute image of Sakura (yellow background) and the back of the box has a cool looking shot of a huge chunk of the cast together. Although it would've been nice to see the Vol. 26-27 cover art used instead, I can't see any Naruto fan disliking the box art; most I'm sure would be very satisfied. It's also worth mentioning that the set has a small handle on the top that allows you to move it around with ease.

The box opens by pulling the right-hand side, that side being held by three velcro circles. Once inside, the 27 volumes are stacked on two blue shelves, with a small double-sided poster and booklet also included. Let me tell you, it's very pleasing on the eye for a Naruto fan to open the box and see the spines of 27 volumes, knowing they contain the best section of the Naruto story.

The volumes themselves are great. For a weekly manga, the art is top class and, unlike in certain other series, it's very easy to follow the action. There are even some pages in-between the chapters used for Kishimoto's personal thoughts, including some interesting information such as who his favourite character is, what manga attempts he made before Naruto, how he let a plant die by doing something silly, etc. His comments are great for Naruto fans who want to know more about the man who created what they love.

Overall, this set is truly wonderful and was created for fans who want to own the first half of the series in style. The only problem is the risk of it arriving damaged due to the distance it had to cover to reach the UK - You'd have to be a pretty damn lucky person for it not to have received at least some damage along the way.

7a09c0a398a0546684b0c11xq4.jpg
8ff7c0a398a0546684b0c11zv2.jpg

Moving on, with my brief Naruto history and box description covered, I'm going to try to quickly describe the actual story and express my feelings about it a little more.

Naruto is a relatively simple story that steals from other famous shounen (young boy) series, namely Dragon Ball. In Naruto we, the readers, follow a young ninja called Naruto who has a big dream: He wants to become the Hokage; the champion/leader of his ninja village. This dream is not a very likely one when Naruto happens to have the lowest grade his class and be more well known for being a trouble maker than being a skilled ninja.

But, unknown even to Naruto, he has something special hidden inside him that sets him apart: Kyuubi (9-tails); the most deadly creature in existence that was sealed inside his newly born body as a last resort by the previous Hokage (at the cost of his life) when the Kyuubi attacked his ninja village (Konoha). Although a law was made preventing any of the adults revealing this afterwards, the adults hated Naruto because they saw him as the Kyuubi in a human form, and their hatred of him spread to their children even without them revealing the reasoning behind their feelings. This resulted in Naruto wanting to be respected, fuelling his dream to become the Hokage.

Using that plot as its base, the story goes on from there, quickly developing by putting Naruto in a team with two other rookie ninja: Uchiha Sasuke (Naruto's skilled rival) and Sakura (the brightest girl ninja, who just so happens to have a crush on Sasuke and hates Naruto). All three are distinctive characters that keep the the series interesting with their differences, the dialogue between the three never being dull.

One last plot related matter worth mentioning is the manga/anime differences...or rather, the lack of. Some filler additions and less blood/gore aside, the story you see in Vol. 1-27 (excluding Kakashi Gaiden) and EP1-135 is practically identical. There wouldn't be much point seeing both if you wanted to see changes.

32e4c0a398a0646684b0c11dr1.jpg
108cc0a398a0646684b0c11sh9.jpg

Finally: My thoughts about Naruto...

Aside from Naruto having some of the best fights ever, what makes it stand out from the crowd is the diverse cast of likeable characters and absorbing world. All too often with stories you find yourself disconnected, not caring about the supporting cast or surrounding world very much, but Kishimoto (the manga author) somehow managed to create a huge amount of characters and make most enjoyable to pass time watching. The length of the story obviously helped, with Kishimoto having a lot of time to develop the cast, but it was more to do with his ability to create charming characters than anything else.

One of the accusations many throw at Naruto due to its worldwide popularity is that it's too simple. Sure, its story is simplistic and aimed at young/teenage boys, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth the time of adults when the characters receive excellent development and there are adult themes used constantly (Naruto is, after all, set in a world where ninja kill other ninjas). Lots of grown men in their 20s admit to loving Naruto, and that's because it's the sort of show any age can enjoy. Don't make the mistake of assuming that what's aimed at young boys in Japan is what's aimed at young boys elsewhere in the world - The Japanese aren't as overly protective as people in most other countries.

...Well, I think that's about it. I hope this wall of text helps at least someone!

Note: The images were submitted by somebody on Amazon.com. Credit goes to him/her for the images.

There's a booklet titled 'A Shinobi Mini-guide' included that has a few pages covering things such as justu signs. I scanned the pages and linked to them in the Viz box set thread. The pages in the booklet were taken from 'The Official Fanbook', which I assume is what you're on about.

Rui said:
Nice personal review and hey, welcome back Aion :)

R

Thanks for the welcome back. :)

By the way, cheers for giving a message to FabricatedLunatic about SecondSpin after I was banned. I've ordered a lot (around 18 DVDs in total) since making my first order for Vol. 4 of Gankutsuou. My first order (£10 > used copy of Ganku Vol. 4) didn't go so well, my copy arriving with one side of the reversible cover ripped and the case it came in being a cheap black one, but I had far better luck after that.

Anyway, back to the box set: I'm surprised more people haven't gone crazy over this. It's currently selling at a price that's a bargain for just Vol. 1-27 alone, yet it seems like no-one cares about getting their hands on it; one of the most popular series in existence. If a bargaintastic set like this can't get people to spend then there isn't much hope for manga in the UK...

It might be a bargain, but it's still expensive and I suspect that's the reason more people aren't as excited as you'd expect.

Anyways, nice review. I love geeking out over stuff like this :]

£2.20 per volume, cheaper than the £3-4+ per volume you'd be forced to pay if you purchased the volumes individually, is expensive? I can't see how the price of brand new manga can go much lower; we'd be talking Poundland prices if the prices dropped much further. When you take into consideration that you also get a lovely box when paying £2.20 per volume it seems even less expensive to me.

I'm something of a bargain hunter, rarely buying new stuff, so if I pay up and buy new the price has to be pretty damn good. I've seen auctions on eBay go for £3+ per used copy of Naruto included on many occasions...

Aion said:
£2.20 per volume, cheaper than the £3-4+ per volume you'd be forced to pay if you purchased the volumes individually, is expensive? I can't see how the price of brand new manga can go much lower; we'd be talking Poundland prices if the prices dropped much further. When you take into consideration that you also get a lovely box when paying £2.20 per volume it seems even less expensive to me.

Maybe "expensive" was the wrong word; £60 is a lot of money, regardless of how much of a bargain it is. That's why it's not as popular as you expected it to be.

Only reason I'm not getting it is that my OH already bought the Shadow Box from Book Depository for the series last winter. Due to a mistake he got the whole thing PTS for £30 in the end!

These big chunks of manga are definitely a good deal for those who missed out on some of the longer shounen staples.

R

King Jimmeh said:
Plus I think in some cases, people will have already bought the first 3 volumes or so, and don't want doubles.

I actually owned the first 3 volumes already. Since I got them for only £5, I wasn't exactly hesitant about getting duplicates - I'm sure I'll be able to at least get my money back by flogging 'em.

With the soon to be released Bleach Vol. 1-21 collection it's going to be a different story, though. I already own the first 6 volumes of that, paying around £12, and with the Bleach set holding 6 less volumes, without the price reflecting that the set holds 6 less volumes than the Naruto set (not right now at least), I don't think I'll be getting it.

I will, however, definitely be picking up the Death Note set since I don't own any volumes of that, thankfully. My only problem with the DN set is deciding if I should cancel my Amazon £45 (gone up to £48 now) pre-order to not miss out on the *possibly* cheaper TBP price or stick with it.

A little extra I didn't add to the review: Like the anime continuation of the original series, which was ruined by Studio Pierrot, even the manga started to go downhill from Vol. 28 onwards. The main reason for the drop in quality was down to Naruto not developing at all during the time that passed between the events of Vol. 27 & 28 and the focus switching to the real main character in Kishimoto's mind: Sasuke.

In a nutshell, Naruto is pathetic, Sasuke is godly and Sasuke has gotten nearly all the big fights in the second half of the story since his reappearance. Where as Kishimoto didn't develop Naruto at all during the time that passed between Vol. 27 & 28, he raised Sasuke to Kage level and is STILL powering him up. He's currently trying to fit in some Naruto development on the side while he draws Sasuke but it's too little, too late.

It was certainly interesting to see the Naruto manga ratings on Amazon.jp earlier on, 2.5-3/5 stars being what most of the latest volumes are voted. It would seem the Japanese are slightly more picky than the majority of fans elsewhere in the world...

melonpan said:
I think I'll stick with my wooden box :p

Going on the reviewers of the Shadow Box on Amazon.com (nearly all mentioning that they needed to glue back together their set after it fell apart on arrival), I'm very happy I stayed away from the cheaply made LE set and instead got a well designed set that, going on what I've seen, looks better than the older set. Good things come to those who wait...or, in my case, good things to those who were too cheap too pay the Amazon price and didn't know about TBP.

I hate the Shadow Box after seeing an English person post a rather gay video on YT, the English person spending 5-6 minutes gloating about getting it for £70 with his annoying voice, hugging the set and generally making me want to somehow smack him in the face via my monitor.

Well, Japan does love the complex DEEPNESS of Sasuke's life, he is after all Cloud Strife's cousin. Also Naruto Part 1 was a good series, Part 2 had potential, but it just ended up BAD, so I agree there.

I've got me one of those and I have to agree with King Jimmeh, people would have the loads of the mangas already, not one or three, but let's say 10 or 20 volumes...

Back