Nadesico. The ending?

harkins

Adventurer
I finished watching Nadesico last night and I am still trying to figure out what if anything happened in the end.

I was enjoying it so much but with maybe three episodes left I was thinking that there seemed a lot to be resolved. So I prepared my self for a hectic ending.

But with 5 minutes of the series to go I was still thinking that there is a lot left to be resolved.

Then it just, well, ended. That’s how I saw it anyway. I will watch the last episodes again soon, just in case I’m being a bit thick and totally missed the obvious. But I’m more than happy for anyone who’s seen it to explain to me now what it was all about.

I’ve read on here that the film Prince of Darkness is very different and even a bit disappointing. But does it in any way conclude the TV series?

I’m getting used to the trend of slightly open endings to anime series but this was too open for me. Despite that, I thought everything else about it was terrific!

The film's fine, just do't expect too much from it. If you approach it ignoring the hype made from fans then it's not too bad. Its more of a straight sci-fi with less the referential humour.

I liked the ending to the series as well. Ruri summed it up well with her cynical observations.

Meh, Nadesico's just cool, nuff said. :)

I've watched Nadesico around 8/9 times now and the most recent watch (about a month ago) I felt the most satisfied with the ending!
There are a few issues left unresolved, but it's nothing major if you think about it.

The movie resolves nothing, but it does add a very dark element to Akito and Yurika.

Ushio said:
I liked the ending to the series as well. Ruri summed it up well with her cynical observations.

Meh, Nadesico's just cool, nuff said. :)

Ruri was definitely the star of the show for me. Her cynicism was wonderful.

And yeah it was a cool show and I’m probably wrong to have expected a nice, tidy and conclusive ending. I suppose it was in keeping with the spirit of the show to end how it did.

I'll probably check out the movie too. At least I don't have high expections for it which means I'll probably enjoy it all the more.

8 or 9 times?! Wow. Instead of just watching the end again I’ll watch it all again.

Miaka-chan, did you watch it mainly duded or subbed on all those occasions?

Personally I enjoyed the Japanese voices and can’t imagine watching it all dubbed.

Ramadahl said:
I've always loved the Nadesico ending - what did you find the problem with it to be?

Well I kind of expected either peace or a victory for someone in respect of the war. And I also expected Nergal to get their comeuppance in a much clearer way.

But to be quite honest, I’m not quite sure what I think anymore so I’m going to sit through the last disc again as soon as I get home from work and then think about it some more. I’ll then post me revised thoughts for anyone who’s interested.

I guess it’d risk influencing my take on it but in what was it you loved about the ending Ramadahl?

Last edited by a moderator:
harkins said:
I guess it’d risk influencing my take on it but in what was it you loved about the ending Ramadahl?
I guess it was almost the fact that
they didn't end the war - that in the end they were just a bunch of kids doing what they could. It made it seem a lot more realistic then some fabricated end to the war they could have come up with - after all, in a war like that there isn't any solution where everyone goes home happy. Other than the war, all the drama (dorama :wink:) was resolved and all the potential plot holes were covered (apart from the rather odd mahjong episode).
I suppose it just depends how well people can cope with an ending that deviates from typical hollywood style (blow up the big bad guy and everything works out from there).

And don't worry about watching it 8+ times, Miaka-chan is something of an anime legend ^^;

harkins said:
Well I kind of expected either peace or a victory for someone in respect of the war. And I also expected Nergal to get their comeuppance in a much clearer way.

(I'll use spoiler-tags just in case)

Even though Nadesico never takes itself too seriously, it still had the theme that personal ideals are often misplaced or are never realised. It used Gekiganger as a means to show that there isn't really such thing as good or bad guys and that real life isn't as clear-cut.

From that I reckon that the lack of a 'Hollywood'-style ending was quite realistic where life will go on beyond the end of the series. Normally endings that don't end properly annoy me, but I didn't have a problem with this one at all. It was nice. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Having watched the last disc again I think that I now know what it was I didn’t like about the end. The fact it ended at all!

I think that watching it so late last night I was perhaps tired and didn’t really take it in properly.

The ending this evening made me laugh and even get that feeling you get just before your eyes begin to well with tears.

There was actually more resolution than I first thought. Plus, as you have both said before me, it was a very human ending. Which I thought was summed up quite well by Erina Von when she said something to the effect of how people were putting their memories (which is in a sense is themselves) ahead of ending the conflict and creating peace.

It was quite deep for a comedy really. God help me when I watch NGE, I’ll need therapy!

Anyway I’m certainly going to watch it all again soon as I think it’s worth a second viewing right away.

So in all I’ve done something of a u-turn since this morning by now loving all aspects of it. Maybe even my favourite show now, for the time being.

Oh and I’ve got to say, wasn’t the Gekigangar theme music just ace?!

ps, I appreciate all your opinions. It’s good to have somewhere to discuss it as I know no one who likes anime. Some of my mates think I’ve gone a bit nuts.

harkins said:
8 or 9 times?! Wow. Instead of just watching the end again I’ll watch it all again.

Miaka-chan, did you watch it mainly duded or subbed on all those occasions?

Personally I enjoyed the Japanese voices and can’t imagine watching it all dubbed.
I think I've watched it dubbed 3 times and the rest was subbed!
The dub is actually pretty good, although Ruri doesn't sound so good saying "Idiots" instead of "Baka", but overall the dub is definitely worth watching if you have that option as well!

Hehe, I asked a similar question the other week. lol :p

I'm still trying to decide if I want to risk the film or not, knowing that the characters all act differently, and the ending is still up in the air. But it 'is' more Nadesico, and it's bugging the hell out of me that I don't know how it ends, and even if I 'do' watch the film still probably never will.

'tis bloomin' annoying. :(

Ryo Chan said:
harkins said:
I’ve read on here that the film Prince of Darkness is very different and even a bit disappointing. But does it in any way conclude the TV series?

simply put............ no it doesn't :)

What he said.

Put it this way, i watched it first on the 2002 Sci Fi channel showing, along with Evangelion and Blue Gender. I felt Nadesico's ending was pretty good, Blue Gender's was ok, and Evangelion's was absolutely atrocious.

And again, i'd keep away from the film. ruins the tone.

Contrary to all advice I bought and watched the Prince of Darkness.

As much as it didn't add to the end of the series exactly it did somehow give me some small amount of closure. So I was happy with that.

Generally though it did seem a fairly pointless venture overall. Also, it's the first anime movie I've watched for a while and the 90 minutes (ish) of a movie is nowhere near enough to tell a story when you've got used to watching 13 and 26 episode series.

Ryo Chan said:
tbh the only reason i bought price of darkness is cause ruri looks cuter in the movie than the series lol

Actually i'd disagree there. I think the Series Ruri is much better in every respect

(and its yet another fault of the film that i can only recall one instance of Ruri deadpaning)

Warmaster said:
Ryo Chan said:
tbh the only reason i bought price of darkness is cause ruri looks cuter in the movie than the series lol

Actually i'd disagree there. I think the Series Ruri is much better in every respect

(and its yet another fault of the film that i can only recall one instance of Ruri deadpaning)

I agree entirely. Not too sure if she even said ‘baka’ once in the whole movie.

Back