Nadesico manga

Red XIII

Straw Hat Pirate
The anime seems to come up quite regularly, but this being the manga forum, I was wondering if anyone had read or was interested in the Nadesico manga. I picked it up a while back, and it's not a bad read; although don't expect it to follow the story of the anime, it diverges after the first couple of chapters. In particular, the origin of the Jovians is very different, and this has consequences for all of the crewmembers (I won't post any spoilers unless anyone asks). There's also an interesting new character introduced in the form of Kaguya, captain of another ship and childhood friend of Yurika and Akito (predictably she's interested in Akito too).

Personally, I'd say the manga isn't quite as good as the anime, but it's certainly interesting to explore this rather different take on the Nadesico universe. My only complaints would be that the manga is flipped (although I can live with that), and that at only four volumes the story feels a little too short, although the main story is wrapped up, there are some leftover threads that I'd have liked to have seen explored a little more; in fact, after finishing volume 4 I did look around online to see if there was a volume 5, but the series is long finished.

Isn't there a manga set between the end of the series and the Prince of Darkness? I'd read in several places that there was, but I've never ever known which it was (or where to find it).

Does anyone know if there's any more story set after the movie, by any chance?

I think the Japanese release of Prince of Darkness had a book or something that detailed what happened in the three years between the series and movie, haven't come across it in any form myself though. And as far as I know, there's nothing official that comes after the movie.

Back