MVM to release Speed Grapher in the UK; Gunbuster 2 licensed

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
It's been all quiet on the UK license front lately but if early reports from Animetion.co.uk are to be believed, MVM have picked up Gonzo's sex, guns and violence favorite "Speed Grapher" for a DVD release beginning in April.

Speed Grapher is well known in Japan for featuring Duran Duran's world famous "Girls on film" as an opening theme, though unfortunately it seems unlikely that Western companies (both in the US and the UK) can afford the release rights for the song, and so an alternative tune will probably be used.

In other licensing news, US distributors FUNimation have announced their final new acquisition in a busy week; as expected, the atmospheric Mushishi was confirmed, while Bandai Visual will release Gunbuster 2 (a.k.a Aim for the Top 2).

Lupus Inu said:
I'll be buying... please let it have Girls of Film. <3

Also, I thought Revolution were releasing FUNi titles? o_0
No. Revelation are distributing FUNimation titles where FUNimation have th European distribution rights. Gonzo typically negotiates each individual territory separately, which is why you may see a disparates set of distributors for their anime in different countries. A good example, other than this, is Gantz, which was also released here by MVM but released by ADV in the US.

MVM seem to have built a fairly solid relationship with Gonzo over the last couple of years so it is not a very surprising licence.

I remember when Speed Grapher got licenced that there were a few problems getting to licence for Girls on Film for the opening music.
I myself havent seen the American dvds, but according to Animenewsnetwork the opening music they used is "Shutter Speed" by Shinkichi Mitsumune.
I haven heard this song so I dont know what its like, but I hope, seeing as Duran Duran are an English group the licence for the song would be easier/cheaper to get a hold of over here than America, as the song fits perfectly with the opening animation.

*edit* Just found this on the Speed Grapher page on Animenewsnetwork:
Due to licensing issues, FUNimation was unable to obtain the rights to release Speed Grapher with Duran Duran's "Girls on Film" as the opening theme.

Here's hoping MVM are able to get the licence :)

Gawyn said:
Lupus Inu said:
I'll be buying... please let it have Girls of Film. <3

Also, I thought Revolution were releasing FUNi titles? o_0
No. Revelation are distributing FUNimation titles where FUNimation have th European distribution rights. Gonzo typically negotiates each individual territory separately, which is why you may see a disparates set of distributors for their anime in different countries. A good example, other than this, is Gantz, which was also released here by MVM but released by ADV in the US.

Highly Informative, Gawyn. <slashdot>(Score:5, Insightful)<slashdot>

The original OP is great, so it will be a real shame when the removal is inevitably confirmed. As for Speed Grapher itself... I enjoyed it for a while but it's the most poorly animated series I've seen in the last few years. An insultingly poor effort by Gonzo made all the worse by the fact the show is actually quite interesting!

Paul said:
I enjoyed it for a while but it's the most poorly animated series I've seen in the last few years. An insultingly poor effort by Gonzo made all the worse by the fact the show is actually quite interesting!
Indeed, I was left quite disappointed after the first few episodes.

I'm a couple of DVDs into the US Speed Grapher release and although Shutter Speed is a great tune the Duran Duran song works so much better - if that's used in the UK edition (unlikely but still..) I ight just wait for the UK disc 3 onwards.

Gunbuster isn't a surprise but that's on my 'to buy' list too. Mushishi of course goes without saying!

Back