UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Very happy to see Kanon up for pre-order. Will have to check my bank balance before checkout to see if I've gone over my (personal) budget for this month (probably). Would have preferred Blu Ray, but anything's gotta be better than the dodgy Chinese version I just watched.

That's from the earlier Toei adaptation. MVM will be releasing the 2006 Kyoto Animation series which is most assuredly free of QUALITY issues.

I quite liked Kanon back in the day, a lot more than I did Clannad. Not buying on DVD though.

Yeah I thought so - I've seen Kanon 2006 at least like, 4 or 5 times and the animation all looked gorgeous :)

It is also true though that Air, Kanon and Clannad (and Little Busters, Rewrite etc) all do have a certain "style" where the characters have very big eyes, with their mouths unusually close to them. Itaru Hinoue was Key's character designer for most of these and she does have a "distinct" style with her designs. It has never bothered me personally, but I've known people who just refuse to watch these shows because they hate the art style so much :(

It's more pronounced in the original Visual Novels, e.g. Kanon and Air:

10799.jpg

6830.jpg

I think KyoAni in particular managed to find a sweet spot between the original character designs and making them work in anime (looks like Toei didn't do it particularly well, never saw their versions of Kanon and Air and I'm in no hurry to lol), but they still have their haters. Oh well, can't please everyone :p

It is also true though that Air, Kanon and Clannad (and Little Busters, Rewrite etc) all do have a certain "style" where the characters have very big eyes, with their mouths unusually close to them. Itaru Hinoue was Key's character designer for most of these and she does have a "distinct" style with her designs. It has never bothered me personally, but I've known people who just refuse to watch these shows because they hate the art style so much :(

It's more pronounced in the original Visual Novels, e.g. Kanon and Air:

I think KyoAni in particular managed to find a sweet spot between the original character designs and making them work in anime (looks like Toei didn't do it particularly well, never saw their versions of Kanon and Air and I'm in no hurry to lol), but they still have their haters. Oh well, can't please everyone :p

Yeah I was gonna put a caveat about that in my previous post but decided I wouldn't bother :)

with their DVD releases do MVM have to release them in PAL? i wouldn't mind a Mezzo DSA release if they were able to do it in NTSC, it was rated by ADV in the past so it'd probably save them rating fees there atleast

with their DVD releases do MVM have to release them in PAL? i wouldn't mind a Mezzo DSA release if they were able to do it in NTSC, it was rated by ADV in the past so it'd probably save them rating fees there atleast
No, MVM are not required to release DVDs in PAL. They have done NTSC discs before, whenever a US release exists, but an Australian PAL release doesn't, or an Australian release is in NTSC. Rarely, MVM would use a US NTSC DVD release instead of an Australian PAL release (in the case of Skip Beat, where Pied Piper's discs were used instead of Hanabee's for both DVD and Blu-ray). MVM authored DVDs however (e.g. Flip Flappers, Grimoire of Zero) were done in PAL.

It also depends on the license holder. Some prohibited NTSC Region 2 releases in the past, as they would share the same region coding as Japan. This resulted in some Anime Ltd's titles that were announced as combo-packs to be released Blu-ray-only.

It also depends on the license holder. Some prohibited NTSC Region 2 releases in the past, as they would share the same region coding as Japan. This resulted in some Anime Ltd's titles that were announced as combo-packs to be released Blu-ray-only.
It's also the reason why there are no Gundam dvds.

Back