UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

I was just being facetious. I got as much of the DVD Hidamari I could too. The region A lock means I’ll miss out on the forthcoming Graduation release though.

Do you have a UK PS3? I believe it would play on one and will happily check for you, I have the Picture Perfect BD Collection and the case is damaged (not the discs or disc trays they are fine), I'm selling at a discount because of the damage (I was asking £30 plus P&P but open to a bit of negotiation). It's completely fine if you're not interested I just thought it was worth mentioning if you would like a BD set of the series (though ofc, as mentioned above, it will not include the Graduation OVA as that is very recent) :)

I'm surprised we've yet to hear anything about Aria the Natural. It would be odd if they only licensed season 1 of Aria.
I think they said it was selling well as an Early Bird, hopefully that's good enough reason for The Natural to come out. I just finished watching Aria season 1 a while ago, it's really good so I hope we get the rest of the series.

Do you have a UK PS3? I believe it would play on one and will happily check for you, I have the Picture Perfect BD Collection and the case is damaged (not the discs or disc trays they are fine), I'm selling at a discount because of the damage (I was asking £30 plus P&P but open to a bit of negotiation). It's completely fine if you're not interested I just thought it was worth mentioning if you would like a BD set of the series (though ofc, as mentioned above, it will not include the Graduation OVA as that is very recent) :)

Thanks for the offer, but I decided some time ago, about the time my disc collection started pouring out of the house, to limit myself to Region B. I can’t afford another house to keep my stuff in. :(

Thanks for the offer, but I decided some time ago, about the time my disc collection started pouring out of the house, to limit myself to Region B. I can’t afford another house to keep my stuff in. :(
Do you have any advice on this? I’ve looked all over and apparently you’re the expert on differences. I own
UK versions of Erased, Kill la Kill, sword art season one and all of three, full metal alchemist brotherhood, Rascal bunny girl senpai, FMAB, fate Zero, Anohana, promised never land season 1. These were all UK versions not yet opened. Any idea if I should replace any of these with US aniplex counterparts/worth the cost difference

Do you have any advice on this? I’ve looked all over and apparently you’re the expert on differences. I own
UK versions of Erased, Kill la Kill, sword art season one and all of three, full metal alchemist brotherhood, Rascal bunny girl senpai, FMAB, fate Zero, Anohana, promised never land season 1. These were all UK versions not yet opened. Any idea if I should replace any of these with US aniplex counterparts/worth the cost difference

I'm not the expert on Aniplex that other people are on this forum, as I don't buy Aniplex. I can only speak generally, and tell you what I guess you already know, given that you're asking the question. Generally, Aniplex authoring will be the best when it comes to video quality. But you will pay through the nose for it. And apparently when it comes to dub audio, Aniplex discs tend to be lossy, not lossless, although you'll have to check on that on a by title basis. If you want something just to watch, then if you're like me, the localised versions of the shows you mentioned might suffice, as I find that issues like incorrect gamma, increased banding, added compression all tend to be forgotten once I'm really into a show.

But if you're enough of a fan that owning the best possible presentation of a show really means that much to you, and you have the money to spare, then by all means, that's what fandom is about.

Personally I don't have the money burning a hole in my bank balance to justify it, but if I did, I'd be Aniplexing over Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Fate/Zero and Anohana.

I'm not the expert on Aniplex that other people are on this forum, as I don't buy Aniplex. I can only speak generally, and tell you what I guess you already know, given that you're asking the question. Generally, Aniplex authoring will be the best when it comes to video quality. But you will pay through the nose for it. And apparently when it comes to dub audio, Aniplex discs tend to be lossy, not lossless, although you'll have to check on that on a by title basis. If you want something just to watch, then if you're like me, the localised versions of the shows you mentioned might suffice, as I find that issues like incorrect gamma, increased banding, added compression all tend to be forgotten once I'm really into a show.

But if you're enough of a fan that owning the best possible presentation of a show really means that much to you, and you have the money to spare, then by all means, that's what fandom is about.

Personally I don't have the money burning a hole in my bank balance to justify it, but if I did, I'd be Aniplexing over Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Fate/Zero and Anohana.
Thank you very much for the detailed response/answer. I guess I’ll stick with what I’ve got :)Do you know what this sentence means for kill la kill? Hardsubbed captions in the series can be see as a fault by some people. Does that mean you can’t turn off subs when watching dubbed?

Last edited:
It's a shame to see Air and Kanon only on DVD, but as a lifelong Key and KyoAni fan I feel compelled to buy them anyway. Hopefully still be better than the not great region 1 DVDs I imported years ago.
It's more than likely that MVM will use the Funimation discs for their release of both shows.

The bigger problem was I no longer had a region 1 DVD player so I got rid of them. I think they might have been even earlier versions anyway, ADV maybe? Can't remember.

Anyway, simpler to just have DVDs for your region :p

Do you know what this sentence means for kill la kill? Hardsubbed captions in the series can be see as a fault by some people. Does that mean you can’t turn off subs when watching dubbed?
I know. 🖐️

It doesn't mean that, no. You know that big red Japanese kanji lettering that's like it's part of the scenery in the show and gives the names of characters and such? Well, on discs 1 and 2 (out of five total) of the region-2 (Anime Limited in the UK/Madman in Australia) Blu-ray/DVD release of Kill la Kill, that lettering has English-language text over the top of it that's actually part of the video and can't be removed by turning the subtitles off. Discs 3 to 5, though, have these captions coded as part of the subtitle track instead and can thus be turned off.

Does that help?

I know. 🖐️

It doesn't mean that, no. You know that big red Japanese kanji lettering that's like it's part of the scenery in the show and gives the names of characters and such? Well, on discs 1 and 2 (out of five total) of the region-2 (Anime Limited in the UK/Madman in Australia) Blu-ray/DVD release of Kill la Kill, that lettering has English-language text over the top of it that's actually part of the video and can't be removed by turning the subtitles off. Discs 3 to 5, though, have these captions coded as part of the subtitle track instead and can thus be turned off.

Does that help?
It does! Thank you so much :)

Back