UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

depends if they still have access to the license, Haibane being such an old series, I would assume the BD rights were not with the DVD rights.
So we're just as likely to get a release from Funi as we could from MVM.
I can't even remember if MVM still has the DVD license.

depends if they still have access to the license, Haibane being such an old series, I would assume the BD rights were not with the DVD rights.
So we're just as likely to get a release from Funi as we could from MVM.
I can't even remember if MVM still has the DVD license.
Yeah with the series' age I wasn't so sure how close it is to expiring. Would expect them to still have it though seeing as they're still selling it. Not sure whether they take stuff down when the license expires or just when it's OOP

been so long since I even checked if it was still on sale. (I bought it when it was released in volumes) So haven't paid that much attention to it since, if it's still available then the license will still be valid, as you say it probably isn't far from renewal/lapsing.
The BD license is always separate to the DVD, for older series but as MVM have the DVD, it wouldn't take much to acquire the BD license,

Bringing back previous DVD only releases onto BD is something we've been looking into, but it's only really feasible if A) the original release sold well enough to pursue BD rights, B) the license is available to us and C) it's not incredibly expensive (it's quite surprising how older stuff can sometimes cost more to license than newer stuff).

With Haibane Renmei we still have the license, but it all depends if we'd be able to sub-license from Funimation (similar to what we've done with Rosario). But it's certainly something we'll be enquiring about!

Bringing back previous DVD only releases onto BD is something we've been looking into, but it's only really feasible if A) the original release sold well enough to pursue BD rights, B) the license is available to us and C) it's not incredibly expensive (it's quite surprising how older stuff can sometimes cost more to license than newer stuff).

With Haibane Renmei we still have the license, but it all depends if we'd be able to sub-license from Funimation (similar to what we've done with Rosario). But it's certainly something we'll be enquiring about!
I'd certainly buy it if it was available on BD. Love that series :)

I adore it, but I can't think of a series that would benefit less from a Blu-ray upgrade than Haibane Renmei. The upscale for the existing Japanese BD is absolutely awful, and it will never look any better due simply to the era and method in which it was made.

Did Mayo Chiki sell well enough to warrant a re-release?
And any chance of Heaven's Lost Property season 2?

I adore it, but I can't think of a series that would benefit less from a Blu-ray upgrade than Haibane Renmei. The upscale for the existing Japanese BD is absolutely awful, and it will never look any better due simply to the era and method in which it was made.
Shows from that era would benefit from SD on BD releases. Sentai and Discotek have done a few of those. They'd look better by virtue of less compression/Blu-ray's superior video codec, no awful smeary upscaling, and HD subtitles. And a 13-episode series would handily fit on a single disc.

do you still own the rights to Trinity Blood over here? wouldn't mind getting that on blu-ray and watching it again

also is there any movement on Oreimo? i know you were interested in re-releasing that on blu-ray a while ago

do you still own the rights to Trinity Blood over here? wouldn't mind getting that on blu-ray and watching it again

also is there any movement on Oreimo? i know you were interested in re-releasing that on blu-ray a while ago
License finished a while ago on Trinity Blood with no plans to re-license.

No news on Oreimo either at this point sorry.

No plans on Heaven s2. Mayo Chiki did fairly well but the license has expired. I know the BD had an English dub so it's worth looking into.
Thanks for the reply, good to know where we stand on HLP s2 understandable if s1 didn't sell too well 🤷‍♂️
Mayo Chiki would be an instant pre order if it ever happened, the US blu ray with the dub goes for £100+ so think quite a few people would be interested!

Back