UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

I enjoyed it, hence why I have already bought it twice, once of DVD and recently on BD, although I'd love to buy it to support MVM, I don't triple dip, if I can help it.

I had to look it up because I've never heard of it. It's a 2013 show with a score 6.57 on MAL! A bit underwhelming.
MAL ratings don't have anything to do with enjoyment in my opinion. You'd miss out on lots of unusual funny shows if seeing a 6.57 rating was enough to turn you off on watching it. I've seen loads of anime in the low 6s and even some in the 5s and they all have their own qualities that make them worthwhile.

For instance Ai-Mai-Mi is kinda similar to the insane comedy series that is Teekyuu, but didn't get nearly as much recognition and only has a 5.84 on MAL.

MAL ratings don't have anything to do with enjoyment in my opinion. You'd miss out on lots of unusual funny shows if seeing a 6.57 rating was enough to turn you off on watching it. I've seen loads of anime in the low 6s and even some in the 5s and they all have their own qualities that make them worthwhile.

For instance Ai-Mai-Mi is kinda similar to the insane comedy series that is Teekyuu, but didn't get nearly as much recognition and only has a 5.84 on MAL.
Aye I've really enjoyed a lot of series with 6/10 ratings and would love to give some a rewatch. I don't really get the attitude to avoiding 6/10 shows as it's still a decent score. Sure it's not the best score but it's by no means bad either. We all have different taste so it's best not to be swayed by community scores lol.

Yeah, I view MAL ratings as a useful tool among various others that can help me decide what to watch, rather than "the gospel" or w/e. Some of my favourite live-action comedy films, such as Josie and the Pussycats, are not highly regarded in terms of IMDB score but I still enjoyed them and have repeatedly rewatched them :) Sometimes "little" movies with modest scores are more entertaining and fun than ones that critics and audiences hyped up anyway! :) Plus IIRC Hotel Transylvania was only scored 44% on Rotten Tomatoes but I honestly think that film is hilarious, very well animated and the romance and family stuff is touching as well (though admittedly the music isn't gonna be to everyone's tastes as it's very autotuned pop kind of style for the songs), I generally dislike Adam Sandler's films but he was great in this (it's like how you can say what you will about Nicholas Cage generally, but he makes the perfect caveman dad in The Croods XD ). Rise of the Guardians also kinda flopped but is one of Dreamworks' best animations IMO, imaginative, beautiful, and with a very effectively creepy and unnerving villain :) Sorry this is getting off topic for MVM thread, I am legit interested to see what other new licenses come up as DOTW and can't wait for my pre-order of Made In Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul to arrive later this year :)

Aye I've really enjoyed a lot of series with 6/10 ratings and would love to give some a rewatch. I don't really get the attitude to avoiding 6/10 shows as it's still a decent score. Sure it's not the best score but it's by no means bad either. We all have different taste so it's best not to be swayed by community scores lol.
I agree. Scores can be a good indication of quality but shouldn't be taken as gospel.

E.g. I really hate the original Higurashi anime and don't understand how it's so loved compared to the amazing VN. But reversed I really love the Steins Gate anime and hate the VN. It's like I have the opposite opinion compared to everyone else lol.

What I watch used to be very driven by how a series scored on AniDB, MAL etc. But over the years I have learned that it certainly isn't the be all and end all when it comes to whether I'll enjoy a series or not. Whilst there aren't many really highly rated series that I've outright hated (although there are still some), there are certainly a lot that, for me personally, have been far less interesting/enjoyable/memorable than their high score would suggest. Conversely, there have been a fair number of middling/slightly above average series that I have really loved.

I think it's definitely a lesson that anyone who's been watching anime long enough can/should learn. I'd be lying if I said score didn't still factor in when it comes to a completely unknown series I may look to watch these days, but these days I also try to consider other factors a lot more too, like whether it's a subject/genre that interests me, the staff/studio behind it, whether the artwork looks fresh/different/unique, etc.

E.g. I really hate the original Higurashi anime and don't understand how it's so loved compared to the amazing VN. But reversed I really love the Steins Gate anime and hate the VN. It's like I have the opposite opinion compared to everyone else lol.

I've enjoyed both the Steins;Gate VN and anime series, but consider both to be extremely overrated in terms of score.

As one of those who loved the original Higurashi anime it really proves the point that everyone has different tastes lol.

I always wondered but what are the chances of MVM bringing back older DVD only titles but released as Blu-rays?

A couple came to mind was Arakawa Under the Bridge and Ef a Tale of Memories/Melodies, I assume they would need to renew the license since it's been so long.

Apologies if this is a silly question, I'm mostly curious how stuff like that is handled more than anything when it comes to licensing

I always wondered but what are the chances of MVM bringing back older DVD only titles but released as Blu-rays?

A couple came to mind was Arakawa Under the Bridge and Ef a Tale of Memories/Melodies, I assume they would need to renew the license since it's been so long.

Apologies if this is a silly question, I'm mostly curious how stuff like that is handled more than anything when it comes to licensing
Typically, they'll need to have been released as BDs elsewhere before; I doubt MVM would author their own. Like the forthcoming Rosario & Vampire set.

Last edited:

As said above it really depends on if there's been a Blu-ray released elsewhere. Of those two Ef has had a couple Blu-ray releases in the US while Arakawa only has one season on Blu-ray iirc

Typically, they'll need to have been released as BDs elsewhere before; I doubt MVM would author their own. Like the forthcoming Rosario & Vampire set.
Both have had BD releases in the US, Sentai for Ef and NISA for Arakawa.
Arakawa is now pretty much OOP in the US, so I would doubt that would be able to be brought over so easily nowadays, there's no such problem with Ef.

Thank you all for the replies! Thats helpful to know and learn about, I also forgot NISA had Arakawa but Ef being possible still is certainly interesting

As well as Rosario+Vampire, Paranoia Agent is another example of a recent MVM blu-ray release of an older dvd title, so I think there's definitely hope.

And yeah, there are numerous MVM dvd-only releases with blu-rays available in the US, I've imported some (mostly the ones released by Sentai), but would love some others to be released, and would even double dip on a few like Usagi Drop.

As well as Rosario+Vampire, Paranoia Agent is another example of a recent MVM blu-ray release of an older dvd title, so I think there's definitely hope.

And yeah, there are numerous MVM dvd-only releases with blu-rays available in the US, I've imported some (mostly the ones released by Sentai), but would love some others to be released, and would even double dip on a few like Usagi Drop.
there is also loads that are long OOP now, mostly old Sentai titles, Btoom!, Caanan, Flowers of evil, Majikoi oh samurai girls etc.
I wish I had managed to get them all BDed before they went OOP, I got most of them though.

Kids on the slope and Mysterious Girlfriend X have both had blu ray releases in the US and are DVD only over here. Would imagine those would be likely candidates for blu ray re-releases. Oreimo as well, but unlike KOTS and Mysterious Girlfriend X, that one would have to be through aniplex.

Back