UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Re: UK Anime Distributor Representative: MVM Q&A Thread

Thank you for your response.

The Neko white post you put on Facebook earlier was exactly what I spoke about, that was perfect.

Large images like that work well. I recall a study they did with Twitter, it showed that more people were willing to click links when a large image was present, I cannot remember the increase from before and after but it was large. It may seen real small and silly to some but I want you guys to keep doing well and getting more out there. If my initial post came across as a little cheeky, I do apologize, I'm only doing it out of love. :wink:

Dannielle said:

The Neko white post you put on Facebook earlier was exactly what I spoke about, that was perfect.

Large images like that work well. I recall a study they did with Twitter, it showed that more people were willing to click links when a large image was present, I cannot remember the increase from before and after but it was large. It may seen real small and silly to some but I want you guys to keep doing well and getting more out there. If my initial post came across as a little cheeky, I do apologize, I'm only doing it out of love. :wink:

No worries, glad you liked it :] It's something I've been thinking of doing for ages and I now have a load of images all done and ready to post as and when the time comes haha.

Hi,

I've ordered Bakemonogatari and Nisemongatari complete sets so are you going to be doing a Nekomongatari set with both black and white?

Thanks

Random said:
Hi,

I've ordered Bakemonogatari and Nisemongatari complete sets so are you going to be doing a Nekomongatari set with both black and white?

Thanks

They will never say yes or not at this moemtn when Neko is still being released and its quite new. They will probably do of course though. ;)

Originally meant to be at the bottom, but brought "up" (literally) for the MVM representative:
- When are Needless and Shakugan no Shana II due their complete collection? (please with a Blu-ray upgrade for Needless *wink*)
- Are any Q1 titles looking to be upgraded to "DVD and Blu-ray" instead of DVD-only? (*fingers crossed*)

bakum4tsu said:
Random said:
Hi,

Thanks
They will never say yes or not at this moment when Neko is still being released and its quite new. They will probably do of course though. ;)
Unless I'm misreading your message, I want to say they have in fact confirmed complete collection sets to be coming before or just when the parts got released before.
As a matter of fact - I'm not going to seek a link though - I'm sure they confirmed a Bakemonogatari complete collection already last year in August. (just an example)
Shakugan no Shana 2 is another one I remember them confirming, but so far - just like Shana III - nothing has been scheduled nor announced yet.

For some titles MVM, Manga, Anime Ltd and Animatsu (as well as the not-dead-yet-but-we-wish-they-died-before-they-were-born-company-that-should-not-be-named) know already whether there'll be a complete collection before they make the license known to the public, both Anime Ltd and MVM have been really open about complete collections as far as I can remember. And Jerome said a few times on the MangaUK podcasts that most releases will get complete collections, but that the Japanese license holders are starting to be reluctant towards allowing complete collections.
So yeah... Of course, a reply to a fan is more often than not NOT seen by anybody but the person who asked it, the company and the few people scouting the company feeds on FaceBook and Twitter.

The titles Jerome Mazarandi and/or Jeremy Graves made us aware of that currently aren't slated to get a complete collection are Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online.
Blue Exorcist has never been confirmed nor denied in this matter, but Manga have held the license long enough to say there probably won't be a complete collection due to Aniplex' reverse import fears.

As for a Nekomonogatari complete collection, I honestly think that won't happen.
Nekomonogatari White is a part of Monogatari Second Season and Nekomonogatari Black is actually as far as I understand (*cough* reading the wiki *cough*) part of Monogatari First Season.
I'm not entirely sure, but I'm definitely hoping MVM will release a "Monogatari Second Season" complete collection in 2016, it's too expensive to support the individual volumes for me.

The next titles in MVM's catalog to get the complete collection treatment are Needless and Shakugan no Shana II (which have both been out for about 2 years already!).
I don't know whether the MVM social media guy will read this, but my guess is both those will be part of the Q2 (April-May-June) line-up.
And let me say it once again: I hope they get a Blu-ray out for Needless.

bakum4tsu said:
Random said:
Hi,

Thanks

They will never say yes or not at this moment when Neko is still being released and its quite new. They will probably do of course though. ;)

Complete sets are unlikely to happen.

Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari managed to get complete sets over here because Aniplex USA released them like that at first.

Nekomonogatari Black should stay standalone and wouldn't work alongside second season (particularly with Neko White) especially when it's set way before those events. Sure they focus on the same character and have the same name but plot wise it will probably cause more confusion.

As for the rest of the arcs in Monogatari series: Second Season, I'm not sure. They might be able to bundle Neko White, Kabuki and Otori in one set and have Oni, Koi and Hana for another.

NormanicGrav said:
Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari managed to get complete sets over here because Aniplex USA released them like that at first.
It's more down to the fact that BD Boxes of both seasons existed in Japan that AoA was allowed to do full sets. I can't see Aniplex Japan rushing to do a BD Box for Second Season anytime soon though, especially considering the singles have only just finished their run. The gap between singles and BD Boxes (If one is released at all) also tends to be far longer in Japan.

MVM said:
Dannielle said:

No worries, glad you liked it :] It's something I've been thinking of doing for ages and I now have a load of images all done and ready to post as and when the time comes haha.

<3 I love it! Thank you! Saw the December Line-up post just now, awesome :)

Re: [UK Anime Distributor] The Official MVM Q&A Thread

With regards to Neko White & Black as a set, and with the other Mono series down the line, its all down to Aniplex and if they allow collections. Obviously if America will be allowed to do it, then we will but at the moment its just going to be individual collections I'm afraid.

Needless and Shana collections will be sometime next year, no confirmed date yet. Needless wasn't a great seller so BD won't be happening.

No word yet on any Q1 titles upgrading. I can confirm however that Michiko & Hatchin will not be released on BD I'm afraid due to various reasons.

And yes, I read the forums on here regularly.

Good to know you read this regularly, I look forward to the announcement of Ano Hana series. :p

MVM said:
No word yet on any Q1 titles upgrading. I can confirm however that Michiko & Hatchin will not be released on BD I'm afraid due to various reasons.
Well, that's disappointing. Guess it's import for me and the few other people I know who want it.

Thanks, MVM. It's a pity Needless didn't do so well; it's not exactly classic material, but it's mindlessly entertaining and I'm sure there's an audience out there for it over here.

I know Tony once said at a con that MVM tries to acquire BD rights where possible when they license a new show. Presumably, the reason several titles end up DVD-only is due to production costs more than anything else; being able to partner up with Australia to sort out some BDs is critical and if demand for a title is poor the expense of a BD release cannot be justified. Do you have any thoughts on any of the points raised late in the discussion about the Good Luck Girl situation, where Manga said it would be released BD-only and Andrew of Anime Limited chipped in to say that it was actually cheaper to create DVDs and BDs in certain circumstances? Andrew also mentioned that BD was outselling DVD significantly nowdays. In that particular case, Manga ended up reneging and making it DVD-only without saying a word, but the mess they made of the release left several interesting questions in the air. I'm still confused about what Manga was thinking.

Are you still seeing DVD outselling BD outside of cons, or has BD picked up for the titles where you have a BD available?

(I appreciate that if BD costs 10x more to produce, it selling 3x more than DVD isn't all that attractive a proposition.)

R

I think from a fan's point of view, it would definitely be useful to know if these decisions are based purely on licensing (ie. Japan saying 'no') or purely down to sales potentially being poor, so the cost of the Blu-Rays wouldn't be recouped.

As a fan that buys the majority of what comes out in the UK market, I realise I'm in something of a minority (that super hardcore pocket of fans) - but what kind of figures are we looking at to make a Blu-Ray 'worth it' these days? I know Manga suggested around 1000-2000 copies, but that was a couple of years ago, and my personal opinion is that the ballpark figure is much lower now.

Is the onus on the UK fans to buy more Blu-Rays, for example, or is it a case of - put it out, and the sales will follow? Are more casual fans still mainly buying DVDs because they've not had that 'push' they feel they need to upgrade?

I only really preorder or buy blurays close to release nowadays and only buy dvd boxsets when on sale. The whole "we won't do a bluray release because the dvd sold poorly" seems a poor way of gauging popularity as I'm sure most people hate having to double dip.

The more hardcore anime fans with the finance and hardware will just import the Blu-rays instead of buying an inferior format (dvd) uk release which is unfortunate as it means the UK market is getting less money.

I'm a fan of MVM and I'd like to see them continue but most of my interaction is buying the weekly deals because dvd releases just aren't a priority for me, no matter how much effort went into it and I am more likely to grab an older Bluray series I missed that has dropped to a similar price.

I do feel that the UK being behind on the times in regards to streaming isn't helping the Blu-Ray sales, or even sales in general. I mean, why spend £40 on a blind buy, when you can spend £20? Or better yet, wait for it to be a part of MVM's DOTW and pick it up for a tenner.

If they could get the rights to upload a handful of episodes on their official youtube channel, as a taster, it would probably help sales.

Lutga said:
I think from a fan's point of view, it would definitely be useful to know if these decisions are based purely on licensing (ie. Japan saying 'no') or purely down to sales potentially being poor, so the cost of the Blu-Rays wouldn't be recouped.

As a fan that buys the majority of what comes out in the UK market, I realise I'm in something of a minority (that super hardcore pocket of fans) - but what kind of figures are we looking at to make a Blu-Ray 'worth it' these days? I know Manga suggested around 1000-2000 copies, but that was a couple of years ago, and my personal opinion is that the ballpark figure is much lower now.

Is the onus on the UK fans to buy more Blu-Rays, for example, or is it a case of - put it out, and the sales will follow? Are more casual fans still mainly buying DVDs because they've not had that 'push' they feel they need to upgrade?

It's all very hit and miss - obviously we can't do every title on both formats as it would just be far too expensive [plus some titles aren't always available on BD]. Out of all the BD titles we've sold, only the Monogatari series, Girls und Panzer and Fate/Zero have sold better on BD than DVD. Big titles that we thought would do better on BD, like Kids on the Slope and Another haven't fared anywhere near as well. BD for anime in the UK is still very much a very small market and casual fans/buyers stick with just DVD.

While we do listen to comments and suggestions and try our best to please everyone, end of the day its all about sales and costs. As mentioned earlier about some titles selling better than others, just because a big name title with lots of hype gets released on BD, doesn't mean it'll sell. In that respect we'll never release a title on BD only.

At conventions if someone buys a title that is available on BD, we'll always ask if they want it on BD or DVD, 9 times out of 10 they'll want just DVD. Though the Anime market has grown in the last few years in the UK, it is still sadly a very small market at that.

Hope this has answered some queries.

As long as you promise that (when the license restrictions are lifted) you will release the garden of sinners on blu ray. (one day)

MVM said:
Lutga said:

It's all very hit and miss - obviously we can't do every title on both formats as it would just be far too expensive [plus some titles aren't always available on BD]. Out of all the BD titles we've sold, only the Monogatari series, Girls und Panzer and Fate/Zero have sold better on BD than DVD. Big titles that we thought would do better on BD, like Kids on the Slope and Another haven't fared anywhere near as well. BD for anime in the UK is still very much a very small market and casual fans/buyers stick with just DVD.

While we do listen to comments and suggestions and try our best to please everyone, end of the day its all about sales and costs. As mentioned earlier about some titles selling better than others, just because a big name title with lots of hype gets released on BD, doesn't mean it'll sell. In that respect we'll never release a title on BD only.

At conventions if someone buys a title that is available on BD, we'll always ask if they want it on BD or DVD, 9 times out of 10 they'll want just DVD. Though the Anime market has grown in the last few years in the UK, it is still sadly a very small market at that.

Hope this has answered some queries.

Great answer, very informative, thanks! :)

It must be a bit difficult when it comes to choosing what to put on BD then? I mean, Girls Und Panzer & Another got upgraded releases thanks to you guys hearing the fans pleas, you took the risk on us and it seems to have worked on one but not the other .. which for future releases leaves you in a pickle, does fans insistence of a title on BD guarantee sales? IMO.. No, however much that pains me.

Who'd have thought a "Moe girls driving tanks Anime" would sell more on BD than a horror in the UK? Mental. It must be hard, I don't envy you guys in the licensing industry.

I do have two questions you may or may not be able to answer ..
1) Due to seeing it on Amazon in a good sale ranking most of the time, did Kamisama Kiss do okay for you guys? It appeals to the Ouran/Fruit Basket crowd so between that & Amazon rankings I presumed it did alright? Just asking cause of the upcoming second season airing in January ;)
2) Did Familiar of Zero do well enough to warrant the second & third seasons getting a BD release? & Taking into consideration that as of writing they're not getting dubs :/

It must indeed be very difficult to predict. Another and Kids on the Slope are both smashing titles which deserve to be successful, and there was quite a bit of promotion for the latter. You even took care to make sure the UK got the fixed disc and not Sentai's sloppy first attempt.

The appetite that the otaku crowd have for GuP has always been a mystery to me, but it's good to hear it did well here too. Even though I don't really understand why (lol). I was thinking just the other day that the general quality of titles you guys have been picking up in the last year or so has really leapt up; you have some top tier shows in your library and there really is something for absolutely everyone.

Have you considered doing more with streaming to help gauge what the paying UK audience is most interested in (or perhaps you look at that already)? It seems to work for the US distributors when identifying which titles are worth dubbing and putting out in high definition and it gives us an excuse to spread the word. I really appreciate that MVM titles are often available on streaming services like Crunchyroll but I don't know how much of the demographic information makes its way to you down the line.

On a not-entirely-unrelated point, if you pick up Kamisama Kiss s2 and FUNi lock it to the US for its streaming run, I will personally buy ten copies of the disc release if you can get it on a streaming service for UK people as well somehow (preferably Crunchyroll). I know it's not really your thing. Maybe twenty copies? ;_;

R

Back