MVM *ahem* cutting costs...

When you e-mail a question to MVM about anything related to bad thing happening, or requesting information about something, they seem to get angry. When I e-mailed them about the FMA tins (or something like that) a year or so ago, I got a pretty nasty response; I made a topic about it too, somewhere :D

DaNiMe-sama said:
When you e-mail a question to MVM about anything related to bad thing happening, or requesting information about something, they seem to get angry. When I e-mailed them about the FMA tins (or something like that) a year or so ago, I got a pretty nasty response; I made a topic about it too, somewhere :D
Clearly, what we should do is ask them about uncut Sailor Moon and Geneon stuff that'll make them f'ing explode.

Conan-san said:
DaNiMe-sama said:
Clearly, what we should do is ask them about uncut Sailor Moon and Geneon stuff that'll make them f'ing explode.

You just gave me an idea :twisted:

Do it my good man, I only need two more YYH dvds and my colection is done (the joke being I got all the ones I currently have at cash converters)

I'm sending them an e-mail about if they're going to be doing a Read or Die boxset in the future (because of Geneon closing down I don't want to have to buy the $200 one...).

Not the best of things to ask MVM anyway, let alone having the e-mail titles "Read or Die". :lol:

You can get the single volumes on Anime-On-Line right now for £5 each, btw. I was tempted.

No guarantee of having a Playboy-free order though =P

I ordered from them direct a few days ago, getting the Lain series as it's so damn cheap and not one of the DVDs were secure in their cases and only one had a card in it. Not that I care about the cards, but it's the little things in life that show off a company to its best.

Espy said:
You can get the single volumes on Anime-On-Line right now for £5 each, btw. I was tempted.

No guarantee of having a Playboy-free order though =P

I succumbed to temptaion and ordered volumes 2-7 (already had 1), and they all came through hale and hearty, with no Playboy cards.

I've got my answer about why there's quality issues - Return goods.

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to here you are having a problem with the cheaper stock.
As with all publishers all our sales to HMV etc are on Sale or Return.
So SOME (not all by a long way) of the sale DVD are unsold store returns that may have been on display (but NOT sold).
DVD returned from stores are checked as still being as saleable quality at mark down price and then sold at .99 pence etc.
Normally we would just out the whole lot to certain smaller retailers who would then sell on at £3 or £4 or so.
This time we thought we'd be doing our customers a favour by letting them have the .99p price.

But I should add that a huge amount of .99p stock shipped has also been pristene brand new stock simply where we have identified an overstock situation or are loss leadering volume 1's to get a series off the ground. You are buying this at less than we pay.
For instance - you can guarantee that your Gun Sword 2 that you just ordered will be overwrapped and pristene. We have an excess here at present.
In fact we are losing a fortune every day on .99p sales - but hopefully recovered on good customers kindly also purchasing normal priced product and supporting us and the industry.

There is little I can say to you other than if you are not happy simply return the product and we will refund you in full.

As to print quality of inlays - all should be fine. You may note that we (MVM, ADV, Manga) all use the same manufacturers.
Card inserts can get mixed up at manufacture. Yes we have had Playboy inserts go in. We have also had ADV inserts go in. And ADV have had MVM inserts go in theirs. These things happen unfortunately.

Regards

Tony Allen
MD
MVM Entertainment Ltd

DaNiMe-sama said:

Not highlighting you in particular Danny, just conveniently quoting you ;)

Hi all, I just quickly read most of the last few posts, and since I've dealt with Tony a fair bit I though I'd just stand up in his defence.

Tony himself is actually a really nice guy, but his style of communication is quite blunt, especially if he doesn't know you. It's not something you should take personally, it's just that since MVM are such a small operation he has to do a lot of the legwork himself and as such keeps his responses short and to the point.
Its a style of communication that I know well and use a lot myself when talking to architects, builders, etc as part of my job.

Still, I do agree, when running a customer facing operation you do have to take the time to do the niceties and add the apologies and thank you's (especially since we've had fake courtesy forced down our throats for so long by big business its become something we expect rather than deserve), so in that MVM do have a bit of a failing.
Please don't take the responses from MVM as being a case of "we don't want to talk to you, go away" though, as it certainly isn't the case.

It's just the responses of a no nonsense kinda guy trying to deal with a daily mountain load of work (and if you wondering, check out the MVM stand at expo, the guy with the ponytail working his ass off on the stall selling DVD's will be Tony himself; now how often do you get the MD of a multi-million pound business doing that?)

Many thanks for your time! ;)

ADV have put MVM to shame with the sales they have had - I've received something like 20 DVD's from ADV, all arriving sealed and in perfect condition, including 1-7 of Madlax.

While ADV are simply removing excess stock and trying to get people into anime, MVM are trying to offload returned goods (without saying) while doing the same. I wouldn't mind too much if not for the fact I spent £15 on Vol 2-4 of Lain and discovered these quality issues continued in the £4.99 area...

Back