Musicians of AUKN, show off your gear!

chaos said:
anyone uses guitar pro? is it worth it?

I have it and use it very often; It's a great program but I didn't pay for it :oops: There is a free type of it IIRC, but I can't remember the name - It's the same type of program/does the same thing they just read different files. Also, IIRC, there is a 30day trial for guitar pro, I think.

I've got me the trial, will give it a try tomorrow. I've looked for a few suicidal tendencies tabs, and I could only find in guitar pro format.

chaos said:
I've got me the trial, will give it a try tomorrow. I've looked for a few suicidal tendencies tabs, and I could only find in guitar pro format.

I tried to learn institutionalized by them; It was very hard (tried to learn it after only a week!) so I just gave up on that song :oops:

Spyro201 said:
chaos said:

You fail.

Work it about by ear d00de

'the hell?

Spyro201 said:
chaos said:

You fail.

=P Sorry, but I'm too slow to learn songs by ear, so tabs or song sheets are instant reward!
I remember meeting a few people with perfect pitch ear. You would knock on the wall and she would say "That's a Cb". I'm WAY far from it yet. In any case, I have my guitar for two weeks man! I'm not even familiar with each of its pickups and I still haven't decided on a name yet...

Yagami said:
chaos said:

I tried to learn institutionalized by them; It was very hard (tried to learn it after only a week!) so I just gave up on that song :oops:

Spyro201 said:
chaos said:

You fail.

'the hell?
hehe, institutionalized has a solo going on the whole song, it's really difficult to get it perfect - even more if you only played the guitar for week =)

and by "work it by ear" he wants me to learn songs by ear after two weeks I've bought the guitar :) while it's great training, I'm not really ready for it. Still, have to get myself used to pay attention for the guitar on songs, as I usually paid attention to the bass.

chaos said:
Spyro201 said:
chaos said:

You fail.

=P Sorry, but I'm too slow to learn songs by ear, so tabs or song sheets are instant reward!
I remember meeting a few people with perfect pitch ear. You would knock on the wall and she would say "That's a Cb". I'm WAY far from it yet. In any case, I have my guitar for two weeks man! I'm not even familiar with each of its pickups and I still haven't decided on a name yet...

I am VERY far from perfect pitch ear d00de. Its just tabs make your ear lazy. You should always learn from ear, it helps you learn guitar so much faster. I started with tabs and realised that I could do nothing with a wrong tab, so I just stopped completely and have used my ear ever since. Its really not that hard.

ALso on a related note, my band recorded a demo today.

Spyro201 said:
chaos said:
Spyro201 said:
chaos said:

You fail.

I am VERY far from perfect pitch ear d00de. Its just tabs make your ear lazy. You should always learn from ear, it helps you learn guitar so much faster. I started with tabs and realised that I could do nothing with a wrong tab, so I just stopped completely and have used my ear ever since. Its really not that hard.

ALso on a related note, my band recorded a demo today.
Oh, but my ears are good enough to fix a wrong tab. But I completely agree with you that learning a song by ear helps you improve musically a lot faster. My biggest problem right now is to get the guitar techniques right. Using the pick instead of the fingers, use the whammy bar properly and so on. I'm practicing the regulars 1-2-3-4 exercises, chords progressions, scales and a bit of arpegios (? no idea what's the english word for this).

Is your demo anywhere online?

chaos said:
Oh, but my ears are good enough to fix a wrong tab. But I completely agree with you that learning a song by ear helps you improve musically a lot faster. My biggest problem right now is to get the guitar techniques right. Using the pick instead of the fingers, use the whammy bar properly and so on. I'm practicing the regulars 1-2-3-4 exercises, chords progressions, scales and a bit of arpegios (? no idea what's the english word for this).

Is your demo anywhere online?

If your ears can fix a tab, then they CAN learn a whole song by ear. Trust me.

Guitar Techniques - Firstly, **** the whammy bar for now. If your still learning your scales etc., you have no need for it. I practise solely with the pentatonic scale. Its the fastest to improve your play with because you can use it in any key; as such when you play to a song, dont learn the real solo, just improvise in the correct key using hte pentatonic scale.

Bar Chords are all I really use, bar the odd other couple. I mainly use Drop Tunings though, I guess.

Also; Arpeggio's are what we call them in English too.

Band Demo? No, its not online anywhere.

Oh, but my ears can learn a whole song by themselves, it's just that it's not as fast as if I get a tab and fix what's sounding odd. Like I said, it's basically me being lazy. I know what's best, but I'll do what's fast kind of thing.

why forget about the whammy bar, when that's the whole reason I got me a guitar??? everyone knows is the fastest way to deploy star power ;D I know scales, I'm basically adjusting my knowledge of scales from bass to my new two additional strings. Sometimes it's not as simple, as I'd simply go and try to use B string as if it was a C... With scales on bass, I went as far as learning the greek modes. Pentatonics are the one size fits all in solo. they are fun to play with.

Arpeggios are often used in bass, so they come easy to me.

Any particular genre for your band?

chaos said:
Oh, but my ears can learn a whole song by themselves, it's just that it's not as fast as if I get a tab and fix what's sounding odd. Like I said, it's basically me being lazy. I know what's best, but I'll do what's fast kind of thing.

Trust me, if you keep learning all your **** by ear, it'll be worth it.

chaos said:
why forget about the whammy bar, when that's the whole reason I got me a guitar??? everyone knows is the fastest way to deploy star power ;D I know scales, I'm basically adjusting my knowledge of scales from bass to my new two additional strings. Sometimes it's not as simple, as I'd simply go and try to use B string as if it was a C... With scales on bass, I went as far as learning the greek modes. Pentatonics are the one size fits all in solo. they are fun to play with.

Why forget whammy bar? Cause it takes ages to learn. Your best bet is to learn your scales very well, learn to play some solo's in your pentatonic scale, THEN learn to add in your whammy bar.

Note: I say I use the pentatonic scale; thats loosely, yah? I add in some tapping to put in extra notes, and it's just a basis for my solos. I add in alot of in-key notes. Its easy to pick up.

chaos said:
Arpeggios are often used in bass, so they come easy to me.

Good

chaos said:
Any particular genre for your band?

Mhm. Metal? Kinda Prog-Metalish I guess. Kinda hard to define. no double bass drums though.

I figured your band genre would be something with metal in it.

Thanks for the hints. Will put the whammy bar aside for the time being and will focus more on the basic stuff. I should get the basic right first after all.

chaos said:
I figured your band genre would be something with metal in it.

Yeah. Its just we dont wanna be like wannabe Children of Bodom kinda stuff, so our time goes into our verses, harmonies, chorus' and bridges' > Solo's. The solo's are the main thing that take away from the metal in some ways, I guess. Depends, I mainly listen to melodeath and thrash though so; I would say that.

chaos said:
Thanks for the hints. Will put the whammy bar aside for the time being and will focus more on the basic stuff. I should get the basic right first after all.

And yeah man I mean, on my new guitar I was tempted to buy a guitar with a bar, but its just, they take along time to learn to use, and you gotta be GOOD to use it well. I prefered the cheaper option which was my BC Rich, which had a beautiful neck for my scales and chords, aggressive sounding, and badass looking.

Back