Murder Mystery Anime Show Recommendations

The solving of the mystery is what I used to like about Death Note, and it's the element in Danganronpa that caused me to pick it up.

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend me any similar type shows?

Thanks.

Another is a mystery-type show though it's more of a Final Destination type game than anything. Still fun to watch.

Rampo Kitan is a more recent mystery show, I haven't seen it but it's a mixed bag in the community.

Shiki has mystery elements during its first half but the second half changes its direction a bit.

There's Higurashi & Umineko but those two are unstreamable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Persona 4 is a pretty good show IMO just the game is a million times better. If you have 60 hours to spare, I'd suggest playing that instead then watching the show afterward.

CR are streaming one of the newer Young Kindaichi detective series, although I couldn't attest to its quality. I saw a bit of the original series a few years back, but I wasn't very impressed with it.

I feel like Monster is the obvious one to mention here, although I don't think it's readily available at present.

It's not a murder mystery but it is a mystery series . Beautiful Bones -Sakurako's Investigation- that is currently simulcasting on cr . I'm enjoying it so far .

NormanicGrav said:
Rampo Kitan is a more recent mystery show, I haven't seen it but it's a mixed bag in the community.

It may have been sold as a mystery series, but Rampo Kitan is more of a comedy-drama about detectives, if the poster is hoping to solve the mystery as they watch the show, they won't be able to do that with Rampo Kitan.

Also, it's an incredibly acquired taste. I loved it (and it was my favourite show of last season), most people absolutely hated it, I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone without huge caveats, especially people who are expecting a Mystery series. Although I have heard it called the best mystery show of recent years, it seems to have earned that title by default because it actually had a reasonable resolution to it's storyline.

However, there's some excellent animation work from Lerche and director Seiji Kishi, despite the clear lack of resources behind the series. I'm going to be the person I normally hate, and say I'd love an AL pick-up, but I'm well aware that I am the only person in the world excited by such a prospect :)...

I'd definitely recommend Persona 4 too.

Also, perhaps Another if you want a more horror style one. Or Psycho Pass if you liked the more police-focused stuff in Death Note.

Lutga said:
I'd definitely recommend Persona 4 too.

Also, perhaps Another if you want a more horror style one. Or Psycho Pass if you liked the more police-focused stuff in Death Note.

Now I had been wondering about Psycho Pass, would you definitely highly recommend it & how do the two seasons compare?

IncendiaryLemon said:
Persona 4 is a pretty good show IMO just the game is a million times better. If you have 60 hours to spare, I'd suggest playing that instead then watching the show afterward.

Do you have to know anything of the game beforehand to watch the show?

No. As far as adaptations of games, go it's pretty good but the game is 60+ hours long with a ton of characters and they are much more fleshed out and the story is better paced in the game. When turning 60+ hours of content into a 24 episode show, of course a ton is going to be cut. Persona 4 (Golden specifically) is my all time favourite game, no questions asked, so if you are into JRPGs I'd highly recommend you play that instead because if you watch the show first the story would be spoiled for you. If you're not, then I'd recommend the show still, just know you're not getting the best version of the story.

DragonBlaze67 said:
I'd recommend Another and Persona 4 as well, both great shows. Another is actually one of my favourites that i've watched this year.

Wonder if it is worth getting the US release of Persona 4 as I notice the UK release is done by Kaze....

robot monkey said:
DragonBlaze67 said:
I'd recommend Another and Persona 4 as well, both great shows. Another is actually one of my favourites that i've watched this year.

Wonder if it is worth getting the US release of Persona 4 as I notice the UK release is done by Kaze....

Depends how much you want to spend. Kaze are doing a complete set soon (most likely just the individual releases in a slipbox) and there's a complete set from Sentai which will cost you around £70-80 (will be OOP soon though). There are 2 Sentai individual releases but they're dub only and there's 3 individual Kaze releases which you could probably get for £40-45.

DragonBlaze67 said:
robot monkey said:
DragonBlaze67 said:

Depends how much you want to spend. Kaze are doing a complete set soon (most likely just the individual releases in a slipbox) and there's a complete set from Sentai which will cost you around £70-80 (will be OOP soon though). There are 2 Sentai individual releases but they're dub only and there's 3 individual Kaze releases which you could probably get for £40-45.

Not too bothered by the dub only.

Sakurako-san is a bit more wistful than the extremely light-hearted taken on Edogawa Rampo that was Rampo-kitan, but still falls into the same "Character Mystery" genre where the focus is most definitely not the mystery. Of the current shows, black1blade is correct that Subete ga F ni Naru is your choice by a long way.

Looking back further, I think the absolute best one is Mouryou no Hako, but this might not be the easiest one to find.

Back