Movies you love despite being trashed by reviews

Will-O'-The-Wisp

Cardcaptor
Lets face it, there's always going to be the odd one or two films that will always hold a special place in your heart regardless of how bad they actually are. Post yours and say why!

For me, it would be the Street Fighter film with Van Damme. The acting was so bad, the dialogue was insanely cheesy and the "special effects" really weren't that special. It was also very poorly recieved at the box office yet despite it all, it's still so much fun to watch :D

@Will O: Yeah saw it a while back, I was surprised how faithful it was in some respects XD the costumes were explained fairly well I thought and jetboot Bison was hilarious.

For me, "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen". I paid to see big robots punching each other in the face and that's what I got. Sure the acting is a little iffy, ok a lot iffy (though I actually think Shia is a good actor I don't get all the hate =/) and the pacing is messy in the extreme (and though I don't think the Twins were racist there were certainly very annoying), I just love the action sequences and the transformers themselves.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
@Will O: Yeah saw it a while back, I was surprised how faithful it was in some respects XD the costumes were explained fairly well I thought and jetboot Bison was hilarious.

For me, "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen". I paid to see big robots punching each other in the face and that's what I got. Sure the acting is a little iffy, ok a lot iffy (though I actually think Shia is a good actor I don't get all the hate =/) and the pacing is messy in the extreme (and though I don't think the Twins were racist there were certainly very annoying), I just love the action sequences and the transformers themselves.

Transformers was just a bad film. I couldn’t even tell the things apart, they all looked the same, they were all metallic (not being racist, honestly) and at over two hours just for robots hitting each other and leery shots of Megan Fox...

Go watch Tokyo Story to make amends.

Anyway, I like Hudson Hawk. Few people actually get the genius of that film.

Genkina Hito said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

Transformers was just a bad film. I couldn’t even tell the things apart, they all looked the same, they were all metallic (not being racist, honestly) and at over two hours just for robots hitting each other and leery shots of Megan Fox...

Go watch Tokyo Story to make amends.

Anyway, I like Hudson Hawk. Few people actually get the genius of that film.

Personally I'd call over two hours of robots hitting each other time well spent =P

Seriously though, yes it was bad, but I like it, and don't worry, Tokyo Story is on my lovefilm rentals list =)

Good Burger is probably one of the only bad films I can still watch a lot. I think Baseketball was probably critically trashed, so I'll chuck that in as well.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Personally I'd call over two hours of robots hitting each other time well spent =P

Seriously though, yes it was bad, but I like it, and don't worry, Tokyo Story is on my lovefilm rentals list =)

Tokyo Story is considered one of the greatest films ever. Plus knowing about it will impress girls with glasses :) .

Goodburger I remember seeing in the cinema and not laughing much. Keenan and Kel lost their magic with that one. It wasn't that funny.

Actually i'm with sparrow on transformers, both films, i mean considering the source material, bay didn't do that bad a job. Not as bad a job that Uwe Boll would of done anyway, I think we can all agree he's the worst film director since Ed Wood. I had no problems in telling the robots apart, and I was sad enough to spot all the refrences made to the toyline past and present. Were things done that could of been better? Of course, like the twins in Revenge (naughty bay, stop tampering with the script!) but i only wanted to a popcorn movie, that's what i got, so i was a satisfied customer.

As for other films, i never bothered to see how this one actually fared in reviews but i like it anyway, the first mortal kombat film (i refuse to acknowledge the second ones existence) I thought it kept true to its roots and for the time the special effects were quite good.

When i was younger though, i used to watch Super Mario Bros quite a bit as well. I was a kid i didn't know any better :p

Genkina Hito said:
Goodburger I remember seeing in the cinema and not laughing much. Keenan and Kel lost their magic with that one. It wasn't that funny.
It's definitely tinted with nostalgia for me, but I still find it chuckle-worthy because of how damn ridiculous it is. The opening sequence is the film is completely batshit insane. The rest of the film follows suit, in a incredibly non-nonsensical manner - there's probably about 10-20 minutes of actual Good Burger versus Mondo Burger plot in the whole thing.

"I'm a dude. She's a dude. He's a dude. We're all dudes, hey!"

It's not really a Kenan and Kel movie though. It's just a film featuring Kenan and Kel. Bit stupid, but whatevs.

Genkina Hito said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

Tokyo Story is considered one of the greatest films ever. Plus knowing about it will impress girls with glasses :) .

Sweet that's exactly the type of girl I'm looking to impress =P And yeah I basically added the entire "500 best films) list from Empire to my love film rentals XD

BlackWolf said:
Actually i'm with sparrow on transformers, both films, i mean considering the source material, bay didn't do that bad a job. Not as bad a job that Uwe Boll would of done anyway, I think we can all agree he's the worst film director since Ed Wood. I had no problems in telling the robots apart, and I was sad enough to spot all the refrences made to the toyline past and present. Were things done that could of been better? Of course, like the twins in Revenge (naughty bay, stop tampering with the script!) but i only wanted to a popcorn movie, that's what i got, so i was a satisfied customer.

A brother in arms! =P Yeah I don't get while people can't tell them apart. I think it's something stupid people say like "I don't know which one's Ant and which is Dec" THEY LOOK NOTHING ALIKE!

Genkina Hito said:
Tokyo Story is considered one of the greatest films ever. Plus knowing about it will impress girls with glasses :)
Is there a hint of a glasses fetish?

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Genkina Hito said:

Sweet that's exactly the type of girl I'm looking to impress
I guess this is mor than a hint of a glasses fetish.

chaos said:
Genkina Hito said:
Tokyo Story is considered one of the greatest films ever. Plus knowing about it will impress girls with glasses :)
Is there a hint of a glasses fetish?

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Genkina Hito said:

Sweet that's exactly the type of girl I'm looking to impress
I guess this is mor than a hint of a glasses fetish.

Haha, not a fetish really, I just think girls can look rather attractive with glasses, but it's not something that is a necessity =P

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Haha, not a fetish really, I just think girls can look rather attractive with glasses, but it's not something that is a necessity
mmm, are you one of those that whole-heartedly cheered upon the arrival of Mary in Rebuild of Eva? =P

Anyway, I see what you mean. Sometime glasses makes one look automatically more intellectual, something that is pretty attractive in my book as well.

Back