More stupid questions for you all

Kezwick_Osaka

Student Council President
So, my sister has got an American DVD player. She wants to try out an American DVD on it, so I look at some websites selling Region 1 DVDs when I see "Can only be played on NTSC-compatible Televisions".

Now, I know that the UK uses PAL, but thing is, what is the difference? Are newer televisions NTSC-friendly? Is there any way I could get an NTSC DVD to play on a PAL TV? And any other useful information relating to the matter?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Any TV that is even remotely recent will be fine. Worst case scenario if you've got an old TV is it will come out in black and white.

Is it an actual American (R1 only) DVD player, or a multi-region player? Probably the best way to tell is if it has a Scart socket. If it has a Scart socket, it will be fine. If not, it might be limited to playing in Black & White if you're using it with an older CRT television.

ayase said:
Is it an actual American (R1 only) DVD player, or a multi-region player? Probably the best way to tell is if it has a Scart socket. If it has a Scart socket, it will be fine. If not, it might be limited to playing in Black & White if you're using it with an older CRT television.
Well, according to my sister, it's from America.

Our TV is quite new, it's a Samsung flatscreen we bought only a few months ago, so I'm guessing it would be okay?

Yea, that TV will more than likely be fine unless it's one of the very odd ones that only runs in one Hz mode. I know my US PS2 works on most newer TV's but not old cheap ones/all in ones from a few years back. Though currently I just run it on a monitor through an XGA box since I don't have a tv. :p
If it has RGB cable input there's a good chance it will be fine, usually.

ayase said:
Is it an actual American (R1 only) DVD player, or a multi-region player?

All dvd players are capable of being multi regional. I brought a programmable remote control and unlocked mine for all regions (it was preset to region 2 only). Mine is sony, it was very easy. My brothers is Panasonic though which isnt so easy, they guard their codes.

Asdrubael said:
ayase said:
Is it an actual American (R1 only) DVD player, or a multi-region player?
All dvd players are capable of being multi regional. I brought a programmable remote control and unlocked mine for all regions (it was preset to region 2 only). Mine is sony, it was very easy. My brothers is Panasonic though which isnt so easy, they guard their codes.
FFFFF.

Sorry Asdrubael. It's just that I'm probably the single biggest spreader of this knowledge on AUKN, the times I've had to repeat myself about it... :lol: I simply wanted to know if it was a European DVD player with Scart or a North American one without, which would make a difference with old CRT televisions. I used 'R1 only' to mean it's native region locking.

ayase said:
Sorry Asdrubael. It's just that I'm probably the single biggest spreader of this knowledge on AUKN, the times I've had to repeat myself about it... :lol: I simply wanted to know if it was a European DVD player with Scart or a North American one without, which would make a difference with old CRT televisions. I used 'R1 only' to mean it's native region locking.

I see. I didn't mean anything by it btw. I just wanted to add to the post :p

Just to add also not all DVD players can be remote hacked to play multi-region some require firmware up dates from discs or chips soldered to the boards.

Back