Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-Kun Review

I

IncendiaryLemon

Cheerful high school girl Chiyo Sakura has fallen head-over-heels for the tall and handsome Umetarou Nozaki. Much to her confusion though, when she tries to confess her love to Nozaki, he hands her his autograph instead! As it turns out, the stoical teenage boy is actually a well-respected shoujo manga artist, who writes under the name of Sakiko Yumeno and, through a series of misunderstandings, Chiyo ends up becoming one of Nozaki’s assistants! Striving to get closer to Nozaki, Chiyo continues to assist Nozaki with his manga, meeting several of their quirky school mates and fellow assistants along the way.

Despite the romantic sounding premise, Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun, a 2014 anime based on the 4-koma manga series by Izumi Tsubaki, is barely a romance show at all, but is in fact a comedy and an excellent one at that. I’m not exaggerating when I say that Nozaki-kun has to be one of the most consistently laugh-out-loud funny anime I’ve ever seen. Despite some physical comedy gags, most of the humour comes down to the excellent comedic chemistry between certain duos in the show. Personally I got the most laughs out of seeing the well-meaning but somewhat dense Nozaki paired with the average girl Chiyo. If you’ve seen anything from Nozaki-kun on the internet before now, it’s probably the large swathe of Chiyo reaction images, and they’re even more hilarious in the context of the show and never failed to make me laugh. Outside of their shtick, there are an absolute ton of very funny and well written gags and some great visual humour too, including one incredible scene involving a bear costume that has to honestly be one of the funniest things I’ve seen in a long time. The off-the-wall supporting cast is also a comedic riot, with characters like Mikoshiba and Kashima not only being hilarious, but also acting as a clever jab at traditional shoujo archetypes, which I think shoujo manga fans will get a kick out of. It’s worth keeping in mind that comedy by its very nature is very subjective, so I think how much someone would enjoy this show would very much depend on their sense of humour, but, for me at least, I loved the comedy on display here.

Even though I really loved the comedy in Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun, I can’t help but feel that the total dedication to the comedy aspect was also a fairly big hindrance in other aspects. Going into the show, I was expecting something akin to a romantic comedy, and if you read a description of the show, you might think that too, and whilst I suppose it is technically true, the romance here is severely downplayed. There are a handful of nice moments between Chiyo and Nozaki, but these moments felt spread out rather thinly, and a lot of the time, they were used to service the comedy rather than develop the relationship between the characters. I definitely think that the potential was there for the writers to go down a more serious route with the romance angle, but they never did, and that left me feeling rather disappointed. The same can be said for the characters in general, who, whilst likable and entertaining, can’t help but come across as pretty one-note and don’t receive any real development throughout the show, which is a shame because, again, I definitely think there was potential there that was totally ignored in favour of comedy. Now, despite my negativity, I’m not sure I can really fault the show for sidelining so much depth in favour of making the show funny, because, at the end of the day, Nozaki-kun is a comedy anime, after all; I just think that if they had made the show more balanced, it would have been far better on the whole, even if it wasn’t quite as funny. As Nozaki-kun is based off a 4-koma manga, I imagine much of the issues lie in the source material, which is written short form and likely lacks the depth to support a full anime adaptation.

Animation for Nozaki-kun is handled by Doga Kobo, and honestly, I couldn’t really think of a studio better suited to the material. When it comes to Slice of Life comedy, Doga Kobo has produced a number of well liked shows including New Game!, Yuru Yuri and Love Lab, and Nozaki-kun is certainly at home with those shows. Not only does it generally look quite nice, Nozaki-kun has a wonderful sense of energy to it that makes the show very entertaining on a visual level.

Both an English and Japanese audio track are included on MVM’s release of Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun and although the English dub is perfectly fine, I preferred the Japanese audio. Everyone in the main cast does a stellar job, with the stand-outs being Yuuichi Nakamura (Clannad, Hyouka, Karneval) as the titular Nozaki, whose monotone delivery leads to so many hilarious moments and Ari Ozawa (Gakkou Gurashi, Classroom Crisis, Active Raid) as Chiyo, who provides countless wonderful reactions. The soundtrack to Nozaki-kun is composed by Yukari Hashimoto, who also did the soundtrack for Toradora, and is quite good, complementing the show nicely.

In Summary

Although it is lacking in the romance and character department, I can’t deny that Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun is an incredibly funny comedy that never fails to hit its mark.

Quick Information

Title: Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun The Complete Series
Publisher: MVM Films
Genre: Slice of Life, Comedy, Romance
Studio: Doga Kobo
Type: TV Series
Original vintage: 2014
Format: Blu-Ray and DVD (DVD version reviewed)
Language options: Japanese audio with English subtitles and English dub audio
Age rating: 12
Running time in minutes: 288
Score (out of 10): 8

Continue reading...

Easily one of my favourite shows when it was streaming and a day one purchase :)

It's a crime that there's no sequel! I just received my copy of the latest manga volume with bonus tarot cards so I've been lamenting the anime ending all over again.

R

Easily one of my favourite shows when it was streaming and a day one purchase :)

It's a crime that there's no sequel! I just received my copy of the latest manga volume with bonus tarot cards so I've been lamenting the anime ending all over again.

R

I thought the ending was cute but infuriating at the same time. I think I would have much rather had a proper confession, although given it's based on a manga that's still running, I might be asking a bit much.

Totally forgot about this and just saw the blu ray comes out in a month. Will have to give it a re-watch, because it was a fun series.

Anime endings that basically scream "buy the manga" probably annoy me more than anything (even if I understand why they do it).

Last edited:

R

Bonus tarot cards?! Must buy latest manga (Volume 4?) Or is this in Japan... ? (Darn, must work harder at college this term to improve my skills.)

Bonus tarot cards?! Must buy latest manga (Volume 4?) Or is this in Japan... ? (Darn, must work harder at college this term to improve my skills.)

It's the Japanese edition; I loved the series so much I'm collecting both Japanese and English releases. The cards are gorgeous :)

R

I'll have to watch the whole thing. The eps I did see where pretty brill, definitely a cut above other similar shows I've seen. Don't know if it's quite on Schools Rumbles levels, but then what is.

Why is it that all the good shows don't get sequels, but we millions of mono flipping gataris. So annoying.

I really love the show, although I'd also say that I had similar feelings to IncendiaryLemon regarding development. The characters and writing feel like they could have supported more romantic/character development without losing the comedy so it's a shame that they didn't do more in that area (though second and possibly subsequent seasons to let things advance would be appreciated).

Vashdaman's mention of School Rumble is probably quite relevant, since it's a show that did develop and in a way that complemented it's comedy. Saying that, the School Rumble anime doesn't really conclude properly but then maybe that's for the best since apparently they went with the wrong pairings in the end.

Anime endings that basically scream "buy the manga" probably annoy me more than anything (even if I understand why they do it).
I'm not sure Nozaki-kun really has a "buy the manga" ending as such, unless the manga actually does go further with romantic developments. I suppose it does highlight characters that don't appear properly in the show but do appear in the manga, so maybe it at least counts from that point of view.

One of the main reasons to buy the set would be the extra episodes (well, it's kind of one episode broken into parts), which are about as good as the rest of the show.

Spoilers below

Does anyone know if there has been any romantic development in the manga? I'm reading as the English versions released & we're still covering aspects of the show (though, one character who appeared very briefly at the end of the final episode has already been introduced & has had some scenes).

Given it's a 4-Koma (admittedly I don't know much about 4-Koma's, this is just presumption), I figured we'd never really see true romantic development but I'd be happy if they went that way. The end of the show was such a big tease.

The show did fantastic sales wise in Japan & the Manga got a huge boost, even selling over 3k for the most recent volume so I pray we eventually get a sequel, the other character that was introduced at the end has some golden moments, as has Nozaki's Dad & I'd love to see those animated.

I'm not sure Nozaki-kun really has a "buy the manga" ending as such, unless the manga actually does go further with romantic developments. I suppose it does highlight characters that don't appear properly in the show but do appear in the manga, so maybe it at least counts from that point of view.

You stole my reply from me! :p

Yeah. Nozaki is probably on the lower end of the scale when it comes to that. Regardless, I'll be getting the set and hoping for S2.

Well, it's a parody of a genre itself infamous for dragging things out and making fans rage over the lack of development so in a way it's doing the right thing by leaving things unaddressed. I think the delicate balance it walks is pitched just right (and in any case 'resolution' in real romantic relationships isn't something that actually happens). But in Nozaki-kun several of the pairings have so much genuine chemistry that it's hard to watch them all fumbling and not getting together without screaming, hahaha.

R

Back