Monster

Feather

Brigade Leader
Has anyone read the manag called 'Monster'? It is hard to find in shops but its on amazon and I have volumes 1-17 and waiting for the last volume. This series is amazing. So far it is the best manga I HAVE EVER read. The plot is so deep and intresting. The characters are great adn you really feel for the characters. I dont wanna say anything about the plot cos it will spoil it. Anyone read this series?

A long time ago, I watched the 74 episode anime. It was very good, and the dramatic sequences really got me pumped. The only thing that let it down was the slow-pacing that resulted from the story being told from various perspectives, with the story following different characters frequently. Unlike kiddy series where the main character HAS to be shown constantly, it wasn't unusual for the main character of Monster to disappear completely for episodes at a time.

I want to read the manga, but it's going to be a bit expensive getting the entire series, so it isn't a priority for me at the minute. Maybe in the future, when my manga backlog has lessened and I have more space, I'll look into collecting it.

Again, I've seen the anime but not read the Manga. Though I heard the anime makes an almost perfect transition from the original material. Anyhow, despite the slow pacing at times it really was a worthwhile series - it takes an investment of patience from the viewer at times, but it so worth it.

The way it followed so many characters was the stories greatest strength I think, each one is interesting and unique - and seeing how their stories connect is fascinating.

I'm collecting the manga too (haven't seen the anime, but am told there's no reason to as it's identical). The art is fantastic. I knew nothing about the story when opening the first book yet it's fast become a firm favourite.

I love how every little character is given exposition enough to feel important. When something bad happens to a good person it hurts. Urasawa masterfully pulls my strings so I care about all of them. It's almost scary to think about the ending drawing closer. I'm not sure I want to find out.

R

Another manga series I guess I really need to read, since I've been recommended it dozens of times. All I know is it's about a doctor in Germany looking for a killer he once cured.

I'd like to collect it, but I've never seen it in World's Apart OR Forbidden Planet.

Yes the anime is identical to the manga. I think that is very rare these days. Also i love how the stroy shows everyones backstroy and how they link togther. I loved the anime. I do agree that the stroy starts off slow but soon builds up and as someone said. I do feel upset when some characters die. I even held a toast to one of the characters that died. (PM me and I'll say which character). When the anime got to episode 50 I could feel the end comming then I spent the next 2 days wytaching the rest of the series because I was hocked and it got extermly exciting, felt like I was watching a long story rather then single episodes. Also the ending I thought was good, wont say it of course. IMO monster should be dubbed and if it did I'm sure it would be extermly popluar. A fan said 'its the greatest anime that no ones watched'

Also the 20th century boys manag comes out near year with volume 1 in 2/09 also looks good.

Also I think Lunges Keybaord finger movement thing is great.

I've read Volume 1 and loved it, I intend to get the rest someday. As you said, I have never seen it in shops, but it's easily obtainable online. From what I've seen, it is indeed awesome.

I started reading the manga yesterday, although I'm only on chapter 1, it really is great so far (and that's alot saying I have only read one chapter!); Will probably read some more later :)

I've actually been very tempted to start this, its just a case of getting the first volume next time i see it. I've heard a lot of good things about it, i think i read a bit on Martin's blog which is probably what peaked my interest in it. The only thing is though i still don't know the basic story for it, but i'll wait and read the manga when i get it.

feather said:
Also the 20th century boys manag comes out near year with volume 1 in 2/09 also looks good.

Already have that one on my wishlist to buy too on the strength of Monster!

All of those people who mention being on the verge of reading the latter in this thread but struggling to find it should nag their local stores to get it in (or buy volume one from Amazon/TBD for a fiver!) when possible. I'm lucky as I got to pick mine off a shelf in London effortlessly but it's such a high quality manga that it needs to be read by more people.

I've never met anyone who has hated Monster. Even my non-anime-liking friends borrowed mine and became addicted to it.

R

I haven't read too many manga but Monster was my one one my favourites. It's in my top 3 anyway. I agree with everything you said feather in your first post. The manga really puts you in the story and the characters are all very believable. I attempted the anime not long after finishing the manga however I had to put it on hold as it was like reading the manga from the start again lol. Great manga.

Back