Monogatari MVM release watch order

zerodayjay

Completely Average High School Student
Okay guys, I have all of the individual releases of the Monogatari series that MVM have released.
Can anyone help me out with a recommended watch order. I know there are a few ways. If it helps I've only seen the following : Kizumonogari films, Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Nekomonogatari black, Nekomonogtari white and Kabukimonogatari.

Putting Kizu aside for a moment, in terms of the anime I'd say watch in release order which is on the Wikipedia page

The one spot to look out for is how Owari is handled. The original books had 3 releases whereas the anime production released it as Owarimonogatari I (the first 2 books) & Owarimonogatari II (the third book). MvMs releases go back to being like the books by having 3 releases split as Volume 1, Volume 2 and Volume 3. Volumes 1 and 2 are Owarimonogatari I and Volume 3 is Owarimonogatari II.

I appreciate that's all very convoluted sounding but if you watch them in the order and placement MVM released them in you'll be fine.

The issue of where to watch the Kizu films is a whole other kettle of fish. I personally think either after Bake or between the 2 Nekos is best. But even the author Nisioisin said in the books afterword that it doesn't matter when you read it and can start with it if you want.

The disrespect shown to Hana here is unbelievable! Honestly it's one of my favourite parts. When I recently did a rewatch before finally finishing the show this was the part most vivid in my mind. All the stuff on the court is visually amazing.
Actually I scrubbed it out myself when Hana became part of Season 2. It had a weird release schedule at the time so it sort of came out during Season 3 and I've had this image for years lol

This show is so confusingly ordered/titled. What adds to the confusion in my mind is the way the "seasons" are actually comprised of multiple mini-series of varying length. And what then makes it even worse is the way that image above lays out all the mini-series of season 1 and 3 by their individual titles but doesn't do it for season 2 which it simply lumps all together as "season 2".

One has to wonder what the advantage or logic behind grouping all these mini-series into "seasons" actually is? Or is it an arbitrary thing?

What are people's feelings on the monogatari series these days? I can vaguely remember around the time the first Bake mini-series came out there being a great feeling of excitement about it on this forum and it got massive praise for its intelligence, style and humour. But over the years it seems the releases were met with more lukewarm and muted responses.

It's been a series I've always wanted to get into but have always failed to thus far. I watched Bake and I remember finding it enjoyable and annoying in equal measure. But certainly enjoyable enough to watch more of, but I don't think I ever did, or maybe I did but forgot. Is it worth another try? What are the things people love about the show?

This show is so confusingly ordered/titled. What adds to the confusion in my mind is the way the "seasons" are actually comprised of multiple mini-series of varying length. And what then makes it even worse is the way that image above lays out all the mini-series of season 1 and 3 by their individual titles but doesn't do it for season 2 which it simply lumps all together as "season 2".

One has to wonder what the advantage or logic behind grouping all these mini-series into "seasons" actually is? Or is it an arbitrary thing?

What are people's feelings on the monogatari series these days? I can vaguely remember around the time the first Bake mini-series came out there being a great feeling of excitement about it on this forum and it got massive praise for its intelligence, style and humour. But over the years it seems the releases were met with more lukewarm and muted responses.

It's been a series I've always wanted to get into but have always failed to thus far. I watched Bake and I remember finding it enjoyable and annoying in equal measure. But certainly enjoyable enough to watch more of, but I don't think I ever did, or maybe I did but forgot. Is it worth another try? What are the things people love about the show?
Season 2 is easy. Just buy season 2 and it's already in the right order. Though if you want it spelled out it goes:

Nekomonogatari White.
Kabukimonogatari
Hanamonogatari
Otorimonogatari
Onimonogatari
Koimonogatari

I still love the series yes. I'm actually nearing the end of a full series rewatch as well (about to start Owarimonogatari)

Last edited:
It's all from the original books. Bake was originally all it was going to be but it did so well that Nisioisin decided to go back and write the prequel Kizu as it had been mentioned a lot in Bake without fully detailing it. As that also did well publishers wanted more and so Nise which was never intended for release but just something he'd written for himself came out. The second story of Nise is actually subtitled as Final Chapter. But by then the whole thing was gaining momentum and he said he write a proper send of and did the first Neko and to him that was a complete and well told saga. But then he started coming up with more ideas and so everything upto that point became season 1 and starting with the second Neko book it was known as season 2.

The anime has just used the same naming convention. Season 3 is actually called Final Season and then comes Off Season and cutrently Monster Season. While the first 3 seasons tell a complete story there is potential for more anime to be made someday.

Book series have "seasons"!? Madness. But thanks for explaining, though I'm starting to suspect this author (or their publisher) just enjoys confusing people.

But what are the things people love about this show (or hate)? I know people love this show, so fill me in:)

Book series have "seasons"!? Madness. But thanks for explaining, though I'm starting to suspect this author (or their publisher) just enjoys confusing people.

But what are the things people love about this show (or hate)? I know people love this show, so fill me in:)
My opinion will be biased in favor of it as I adore this show right next to the Fate series (am I drawn to confusing series? lol) but I'll give you the good and bad as I see it.

The good: So what I love about this show is it's themes in exploring humanity through apparition spirits. Each "arc" I will call them has a character being haunted by an apparition of some sort, but the premis delves deeper into more real troubled situations which the apparitions are there to highlight rather than detract from. The show delves into some heavy subjects matters like mental trauma, domestic abuse, depression etc but it does so in a very positive way imo. The main character Araragi tries to help these people with their apparition issues and comes to learn what is the real cause underlying it is. And I also like how, as a certain hawaian shirt guy always say's "people save themselves" with the help of our protagonist in the end.

The neutral: The show is very dialogue heavy,and despite it being based around different apparitions there is minimal action and no horror elements so you may not enjoy it if you don't like sitting though tons of unbroken dialogue.

The bad: At it's core it's a ecchi harem show and the protagonist Araragi is unashamedly the biggest pervert in anime history. It puts a lot of people off (though things like that don't bother me and I like the comedy it brings to the show personally).

Last edited:
Back