Miyazaki's latest breaks Japanese box office

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Hayao Miyazaki latest offering Howl's Moving Castle has smashed box office records in Japan, accumulating a massive $14.3 million in ticket sales over the weekend and therefore making this the most successful opening for any Japanese movie- ever! You can read one of the many beaming reviews for Howl's Moving Castle by clicking here.

The UK and US release dates haven't been announced as yet, but given that the film will most likely be distributed worldwide by Disney, one can expect at least a limited theatrical release (in similiar fashion to Spirited Away) before hitting the DVD market.
<span class=menu>Source: <a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/">Anime News Network</a></span>

ANN are saying that it was responsible for 72% of the total box office takings in the country that night.

Pretty impressive stuff - athough it's to be expected from Miyazaki.

Paul said:
I found out earlier today that Howl is actually based on a book from a British author-- perhaps this will help it gain a little extra exposure over here? It all helps, I guess.
I have that book!! Still havent read it though...

Can't wait to see it, I've been hankering after another Ghibli film to watch! The characters look great and after just having bought the CD from Japan, can highly recommend the music :D

aniki said:
According to Barnes & Noble's website, Diana Wynne Jones also wrote a book called "Castle In The Air" - strange coincidence. It's apparently a sequel to Howl's Moving Castle.
That's weird, Castle in the air was made in 1986 i think it was, it was one of the first official Ghibli films.Seems weird to make the sequel before the original.

you're right. it was made in 1986, but was called 'Laputa: Castle in the Sky' and as far as i know the storyline was Miyazaki's own work. i'm not sure how similar Diane Wynne Jones' story is though. an odd coincidence indeed.

Miaka-chan said:
Can't wait to see it, I've been hankering after another Ghibli film to watch!

Me too.

Ghibli productions are fast becoming my favourite anime movies, and, in an odd way, the fact I haven't seen that many goes to my advantage. Why, because, ummm, because, BECAUSE!

I hope to see Kiki's Delivery Service in the not to distant future. :)

Back